The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Yesterday's win guarantees we will start December in 3rd place. We were sitting on a train back from Montrose in July munching Pizza and guzzling red wine and generally bemoaning a terrible display. If someone had said there and then we would be 3rd heading into December I would have choked laughing. 

Robbo and the whole squad have been brilliant. Of course there will be bumps in the road like Dens but yesterday gave me real hope we can grind out enough points when things aren't going totally our way to at least keep in the race for a Euro place. It's a monumental job these guys are doing.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Anyone still doubt Zach Hemming?

There’s no way Trevor Carson is saving that yesterday. Too short for a start

Definite upgrade 

The DOB having a fit at the end of last season was a godsend 

Most people had doubts about Zach based on his form with Killie. 

He has rebuilt his confidence with us and the coaching of Langfield has helped. 

He is enjoying his football and we are benefiting. 

13 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Most people had doubts about Zach based on his form with Killie. 

He has rebuilt his confidence with us and the coaching of Langfield has helped. 

He is enjoying his football and we are benefiting. 

Unless folk are familiar with Kilmarnock reserves, his form with Killie first team was excellent.

Massive upgrade in the hapless Carson. If we’d had a half decent keeper last season we’d have qualified for Europe. Carson is hopeless. 

To get a fee for that donkey and replace him with someone better is a stroke of genius. 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Unless folk are familiar with Kilmarnock reserves, his form with Killie first team was excellent.

Massive upgrade in the hapless Carson. If we’d had a half decent keeper last season we’d have qualified for Europe. Carson is hopeless. 

To get a fee for that donkey and replace him with someone better is a stroke of genius. 

Carson after a fairly dodgy start to his career with us, was a decent keeper. Zach Hemming is not only proving to be an upgrade on Carson, his all round game is much better, and he’s destined to play at a higher level with his rapid progress and his consistency.

Hemming has definitely won us more points than he has lost this season. His saves v Dundee, Hearts, Motherwell and Livi stopped 3 points turning into 1. Against that, his mistakes against Aberdeen and Killie could have cost us points, but he is young and you would hope he will become more consistent as he gains experience.

I've gone from being unsure of him to being a fan. I'd go as far to say he's probably second best of our recent keepers, only behind King Vaclav.

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Hemming has definitely won us more points than he has lost this season. His saves v Dundee, Hearts, Motherwell and Livi stopped 3 points turning into 1. Against that, his mistakes against Aberdeen and Killie could have cost us points, but he is young and you would hope he will become more consistent as he gains experience.

I've gone from being unsure of him to being a fan. I'd go as far to say he's probably second best of our recent keepers, only behind King Vaclav.

The ones he made were at points where we could and did hit back against both Aberdeen and Killie so neither really cost us anything in the end thankfully.

Several of the other saves he's made were at crucial times, particularly Livi and the one at Motherwell that he tipped onto the bar.

He's proven to be absolutely reliable and to be fair, most Killie fans were a bit perplexed at our despair of signing him as they knew that you dont go from a good to a shite keeper overnight, he just badly lost form with the step up. Also worth remembering at 23 he is still really young for a first choice keeper.

Carson was really good for us last season (and by all accounts has been really good for Dundee) so it was understandable that people would be concerned that he was being moved on. There were a few knicker wetters right enough after the signing of Hemming. I think it shows that we should wait until we've actually seen someone play in a few games before rushing to judgement.

12 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Anyone still doubt Zach Hemming?

There’s no way Trevor Carson is saving that yesterday. Too short for a start

Definite upgrade 

The DOB having a fit at the end of last season was a godsend 

Oh, go on then... :D

Do I still doubt Hemming? No. If you look at his previous season there was definitely reasons to be concerned. He looked poor, very poor, and unreliable too. Plus picking up injuries. All in all if you looked at him on paper from last season you wouldn't have chosen him to be 1st choice for the "third best team in the country". Those doubts have, by and large, been dispelled.

Do I still have doubts about Hemming? Yes. I still think that his positioning and command of his box needs to improve. That's an experience thing, which is reflected in his age rather than ability.

That said, he's playing in a team that doing very well, that is the opposite to the team he played with last season. It's not a like for like situation, Killie were struggling, we are not. I think to really see Hemming under pressure we'd need to go on a bad run. Of course, we don't want that to happen, we all know most keepers are heavily influenced by their confidence

It should be said, I'm not singling, or ever singled, Hemming out. I can be, and have been, critical of other players - just like all of us are. Has Hemming done better than I expected him to? Definitely. I also think he's done better than most fans expected. I was genuinely worried that even with Robinson and Langfield, Hemming wouldn't make the grade. Whether his performances are down to confidence, training, getting better, who knows...

As for the Carson comparison, Carson remains a good keeper, it would be an "utterly Captain thing to do" .. ( ;) ) .. to mention that in the last game where the two met, one lost 4 goals the other lost none. 

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Much improved financial results. Great news!

IMG_5324.thumb.jpeg.9a0f3e880a06ddbe1823d429bdf0bc39.jpeg

AGM is due to take place on 12 December 2023 at the SMISA Stadium.

I note our gate receipts were up nearly £400,000 despite the apparent financial suicide of restricting the Old Firm to one stand...

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

I note our gate receipts were up nearly £400,000 despite the apparent financial suicide of restricting the Old Firm to one stand...

Or the financial suicide of giving free and cheap tickets to kids, local charities and sports teams.

Didn't realise that we have 8 games between now and Hogmany. That's crazy as most of the streets about here have their Christmas Decorations up... 

Anyway, out of the 24 available points, how many could we realistically dream of?

Personally 15 would be an outstanding return, and any more would be just incredible. 

Games against SEVCO (Penalty Taverneir) Aberdeen and Hearts all look difficult, but wins against Ross County x 2, Sainties. Killy and Motherwell are all within the realms of possibilities. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Didn't realise that we have 8 games between now and Hogmany. That's crazy as most of the streets about here have their Christmas Decorations up... 

Anyway, out of the 24 available points, how many could we realistically dream of?

Personally 15 would be an outstanding return, and any more would be just incredible. 

Games against SEVCO (Penalty Taverneir) Aberdeen and Hearts all look difficult, but wins against Ross County x 2, Sainties. Killy and Motherwell are all within the realms of possibilities. 

Just my opinion but I'm thinking 3 points .