The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

48 minutes ago, zildjian said:

Killie in the lead at the moment against rangers, not what we would have wanted. 

Not any more and Dee are having a mare... Carson and Joe minus 7 so far.

Dons behind too. If we can beat them next 🙏

9 minutes ago, medals said:

Not any more and Dee are having a mare... Carson and Joe minus 7 so far.

Dons behind too. If we can beat them next 🙏

Just need a goal from Hearts and its been a perfect night results wise for us.

Absolutely perfect set of results for us tonight in my opinion and I include the Hearts/Hibs draw in that. 

Massive lolz at Aberdeen 🤣🤣🤣

Only downside tonight for me is that I watched the Killie/Rangers game and Killie look like a really good side. I think they are a good bit better than us. Time will tell. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Pretty much a perfect set of results.

The objective is clear now. Win on Saturday and it's highly unlikely we'll be caught before the split.

Something also has to give on Saturday too with the two sides on either side of us playing one another.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Absolutely perfect set of results for us tonight in my opinion and I include the Hearts/Hibs draw in that. 

Massive lolz at Aberdeen 🤣🤣🤣

Only downside tonight for me is that I watched the Killie/Rangers game and Killie look like a really good side. I think they are a good bit better than us. Time will tell. 

It would have been better if Hibs lost, but overall good results for us.

Killie are a good team, all the more remarkable given they have Liam Donnelly in that side. 

Fortunately, the cup draw kept the top 4 sides apart, so unless there are any shocks, 5th will be enough for Europe. Just hope Hibs return to their defensive comedy routines soon and dont finish ahead of us again.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

It would have been better if Hibs lost, but overall good results for us.

Killie are a good team, all the more remarkable given they have Liam Donnelly in that side. 

Fortunately, the cup draw kept the top 4 sides apart, so unless there are any shocks, 5th will be enough for Europe. Just hope Hibs return to their defensive comedy routines soon and dont finish ahead of us again.

I disagree. We’ve pretty much owned Hibs in the league this season. Even with that point tonight, they are at best 5 points behind us and that assumes they win their game in hand, which is far from a given.

I’d much rather dream of catching Hearts than worry about Hibs catching us. 

53 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Scored falling for us again tonight.

Please please don't f up on Sat against the Dons. 

I really hate playing a team that's in desperate need of a result. Aberdeen are hopeless, but I've seen this story play out many times before.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I really hate playing a team that's in desperate need of a result. Aberdeen are hopeless, but I've seen this story play out many times before.

It happens but they have 2 draws from their last 5 matches and it's at home for us.

The Fakes just beat them away and the Fakes are mince.

They must be low on confidence and ability. Keep their scorer quiet and stretch their weak defence.    C O Y S

Just now, medals said:

It happens but they have 2 draws from their last 5 matches and it's at home for us.

The Fakes just beat them away and the Fakes are mince.

They must be low on confidence and ability. Keep their scorer quiet and stretch their weak defence.    C O Y S

I know, and everything says we should beat them. But then I think back two weeks to Livingston.

Interesting - https://www.stmirren.com/club-news/5337-club-statement-var-error-v-ross-county

In this instance, a "whoops, our bad, soz" won't do much to appease the club or supporters in their belief that the officials operating VAR just aren't up to scratch.

Personally, I think VAR has its value, but it should be shelved until we have officials capable of using it properly.

That non-decision could ultimately cost us European football. In instances like this, where such a blatant f**k up has been made, there should be some sort of explanation put forward as to why and how the mistake was made - otherwise there's absolutely no trust or confidence that it will be implemented properly going forward.

This latest incident simply supports the position I've always taken with VAR. The technology is not the issue, in fact it is a benefit, it is the referees and their human fallibilities that are the direct cause of bad decisions. Removing VAR won't solve the issue of refereeing competency, and it's that we should be focusing on.

As for the Aberdeen game, I don't particularly like Aberdeen as a place, I don't particularly like their fanbase and I really don't like Warnock. All that combined with the embarrassing showing against the farmers and the "they are getting relegated"/"Warnock is out of his depth" chat, it looks like a massive banana skin. We've beaten them recently (handsomely too), in fact they have only won 1 of the last 5 meetings, so I shouldn't be worried, but I am...

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Interesting - https://www.stmirren.com/club-news/5337-club-statement-var-error-v-ross-county

In this instance, a "whoops, our bad, soz" won't do much to appease the club or supporters in their belief that the officials operating VAR just aren't up to scratch.

Personally, I think VAR has its value, but it should be shelved until we have officials capable of using it properly.

That non-decision could ultimately cost us European football. In instances like this, where such a blatant f**k up has been made, there should be some sort of explanation put forward as to why and how the mistake was made - otherwise there's absolutely no trust or confidence that it will be implemented properly going forward.

IF we were awarded it and IF we scored it at the timing of the incident, it could have well had a brighter outcome going in level at half time and chasing a winner second half.

It's no where near Good enough. 2 officials on the park and a VAR team and none of them can do their job properly. 

It's not even a difficult one to decide under the rules.

Incompetent and costing clubs points and potentially prizes.

SFA needs to up the standards pronto.

Edited by medals

5 minutes ago, medals said:

It's no where near Good enough. 2 officials on the park and a VAR team and none of them can do there job properly. 

Same with Aberdeen at the beginning of the season getting a penalty that was also called wrongly. That's a potential 6 points dropped to incompetence. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

This latest incident simply supports the position I've always taken with VAR. The technology is not the issue, in fact it is a benefit, it is the referees and their human fallibilities that are the direct cause of bad decisions. Removing VAR won't solve the issue of refereeing competency, and it's that we should be focusing on.

As for the Aberdeen game, I don't particularly like Aberdeen as a place, I don't particularly like their fanbase and I really don't like Warnock. All that combined with the embarrassing showing against the farmers and the "they are getting relegated"/"Warnock is out of his depth" chat, it looks like a massive banana skin. We've beaten them recently (handsomely too), in fact they have only won 1 of the last 5 meetings, so I shouldn't be worried, but I am...

The latest incident re-inforces my own personal opinion on VAR. Never wanted it in the first place, and, having attended many matches now with it in place, get it to fcuk. Slow motion and freeze frame to decide if someone is literally a baw’ hair offside? Not truly celebrating a goal as you used to? Waiting to find out that something inconsequential two ‘phases’ previously sees a goal chalked off? Seeing Tavernier get to Ally McCoist levels of goalscoring due to it? VAR is a fcuking abomination. The technology AND the useless kunts up here in charge of it. When it was clear Scotland was getting VAR, I tried to find a positive in it. I clung to the hope that all the ‘honest mistakes’ I have witnessed down the years in favour of two certain clubs might be subject to a second layer of scrutiny, and they’d be called out by VAR. Have they fcuk. It’s given officials in a darkened room somewhere the opportunity to go full Monty ‘penalty to the Rangers’. In games involving two diddy teams, I thought ‘ach well, it might help with the ‘clear and obvious’ mistakes. Again, has it fcuk. Witness Dingwall.

I don’t want to be told my problem isn’t with the technology, it’s with the humans using the technology. No thanks, I have a problem with the technology being here, AND with the wallopers put in charge of it. Get it, and them, so far to fcuk.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Absolutely spot on! 👍

48 minutes ago, medals said:

It's no where near Good enough. 2 officials on the park and a VAR team and none of them can do there job properly. 

At the very least the VAR operators that night should be donating their match fee for to charity.

Preferably the St Mirren Charitable Foundation. 

But I’d settle for a local Foodbank.