The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I dont want 4th.

If we finish 5th, the first game is during the school holidays.

4th, i think the second leg is when the schools are back, and i dont fancy having a debate with my wife over what is more important, a trip to Europe or the wean's first day at High School.

‘Hello, uh-huh, yeah, yeah, that’s great, yeah, oh that’s brilliant, it’s a good school, the teachers are meant to be great there, uh-huh, OK, look, better go, kick off is in a couple of hours. What? Nah, it’s raining, stuck in the hotel, wouldn’t come back, no, definitely not happy we drew this Cypriot mob. Anyway, see you soon. Love you!’

27C35219-D313-406A-8533-D969472182DB.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I dont want 4th.

4th, i think the second leg is when the schools are back, and i dont fancy having a debate with my wife over what is more important, a trip to Europe or the wean's first day at High School.

Pfft! Imagine putting your kids before football, eh?

;)

35 minutes ago, Ric said:

Pfft! Imagine putting your kids before football, eh?

;)

I will. School can wait, a trip to Europe will be educational anyway.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I will. School can wait, a trip to Europe will be educational anyway.

Look at this, this was a country you could visit any time you wanted to and stay for as long as you like, until the fucking tories and hateful bigots took that away with Brexit.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I dont want 4th.

What's the debate 😃😃😃

Posted (edited)

Seriously I went to Mechelen in 87, presumed it would be a regular thing. Here we are THIRTY SEVEN  years later and it's within touching distance.  My son is in his twenties and I keep telling him (and anyone reading this sentimental pish because this could be it for me despite me not feeling like an old fart) that IF we get there we will be going regardless of where and when as this might be it for me. The fact it's a double whammy with Scotland is making the whole summer a season from heaven. This is got to be our season now, dust down the passports, there's going to be a show.......

Edited by Billy Jean King

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I dont want 4th.

If we finish 5th, the first game is played in the same week as if we finish 4th as we'd play in Europa League rather than conference league if we were 4th.

The difference is if we finish 4th, we are guaranteed another tie if we lose as we'd drop into the conference league which would then be during term time.

Edited by djchapsticks

If we don't push the boat out to re-sign Gogic, it would be sheer folly on our part.

Sure he's had a few dodgy moments, like all our defence has had, but other than that he's been a colossus.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If we don't push the boat out to re-sign Gogic, it would be sheer folly on our part.

Sure he's had a few dodgy moments, like all our defence has had, but other than that he's been a colossus.

100%

Gogic is a huge player for us and would be a nightmare to replace

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Robinson said post match that everyone he wants to stay has an offer on the table and some have said they won't re-sign.

I feel Gogic is the one that's most up in the air and not settled one way or the other. He was ridiculously good today.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Seriously I went to Mechelen in 87, presumed it would be a regular thing. Here we are THIRTY SEVEN  years later and it's within touching distance.  My son is in his twenties and I keep telling him (and anyone reading this sentimental pish because this could be it for me despite me not feeling like an old fart) that IF we get there we will be going regardless of where and when as this might be it for me. The fact it's a double whammy with Scotland is making the whole summer a season from heaven. This is got to be our season now, dust down the passports, there's going to be a show.......

My first game was in August 87 when I was 5. My Dad didn't take me to the European games which took place shortly after. Past my bedtime I suppose and he probably thought there would be other opportunities.... I remember my mum listening to the Mechelen game on the radio.

As I became a diehard during the doldrums of the 90's I remember leafing through the Tromso and Mechelen programmes like they were holy relics. 

Suffice to say, my 6 year old will be attending if we qualify! I dared to have a wee look on Wikipedia at our potential opponents. One of the few teams who are already there: Tromso....

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Olusanya is developing into a quality striker. To think some people wrote him off. 

FIFY.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

My first game was in August 87 when I was 5. My Dad didn't take me to the European games which took place shortly after. Past my bedtime I suppose and he probably thought there would be other opportunities.... I remember my mum listening to the Mechelen game on the radio.

As I became a diehard during the doldrums of the 90's I remember leafing through the Tromso and Mechelen programmes like they were holy relics. 

Suffice to say, my 6 year old will be attending if we qualify! I dared to have a wee look on Wikipedia at our potential opponents. One of the few teams who are already there: Tromso....

Those of us who are of a certain age (ie under 45) generally have always talked about Tromso, Elfsborg, Feyenoord, Slavia Prague, Mechlen, St Ettiene and yes, even the H word with almost hushed tones of reverence. A generation that we were just a bawhair too late for.

Stories of trips to places that those of us who went through our formative years supporting the club weaned on a Wednesday night in Brechin or an end of season 4-0 skelping off of Alloa, could only dream of as they felt like the stuff of pure fantasy compared to our St. Mirren supporting experience. That was the sort of stuff that happened to other clubs, not us. Not the St. Mirren of the mid to late 90s we supported. A generation of supporters who regarded trips in the early 2000s to places like Pittodrie and Tynecastle as total luxuries as we'd not grown up supporting a St. Mirren that played at these grounds. A St. Mirren where going to these places was taken as the norm rather than novelty.

The fact that we are so, SO close to finally adding our own experiences to the ones that guys now in their late 50s, early 60s got to do as young men feels almost surreal. I get that other teams clubs are like 'pffft, Europe, been there done that' but there have been times, decades long spells that European football wasn't so much a pipedream as it was simply something that just could never be achieved. I have said before that seeing us there just once will be enough and I stand by that.

Of course I want us in Europe on a regular basis but if you'd told me in the days of going to Stirling Albion having to win to essentially not go part time that we'd just get one crack at Europe in my life, given the utter shite we were always finding ourselves in, I'd have happily accepted.

Edited by djchapsticks

Posted (edited)

Lots of appearances for our loan players this season, which is good news:

Fraser Taylor (Ballymena): 38

Luke Kenny (Cliftonville): 12

Gallagher Lennon (Dumbarton): 17

Ethan Sutherland (Alloa): 16

Kieran Offord (Edinburgh City, Stirling): 36

Kenny won a cup today. Lennon v Sutherland in the play-offs.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Lots of appearances for our loan players this season, which is good news:

Fraser Taylor (Ballymena): 38

Luke Kenny (Cliftonville): 12

Gallagher Lennon (Dumbarton): 17

Ethan Sutherland (Alloa): 16

Kieran Offord (Edinburgh City, Stirling): 36

Kenny won a cup today. Lennon v Sutherland in the play-offs.

Taylor for me will definitely be in and around matchday squads next season on the regular. Sutherland too if we mange to keep hold.

Kieran can't seem to get too much of a run and is still only 19. Perhaps another loan next season.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Taylor for me will definitely be in and around matchday squads next season on the regular.

Agreed. He's played just about every minute this season in a hard league for a team battling relegation. Should have done his game a lot of good.

Just now, Buttocks Brown said:

Agreed. He's played just about every minute this season in a hard league for a team battling relegation. Should have done his game a lot of good.

He's the natural replacement in terms of matchday squad for Flynn. Inexpensive, and probably not expecting a massive amount of minutes, at least not next season.