The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mcginns said:

Why don't they just get the VAR independent review panel members to do the VAR at the games? Would save a lot of pissing about.

Independence review panel - Salmond, Sturgeon and Yousaf all have spare time atm.

Edited by btb

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pish.

The "system" requires human input and decision making, which creates inconsistency, that makes it no better than just simply reffing a game as before.

The only technology like this in football should be goal line technology. 

100% this . 

Goal line technology is a clear yes / no .

VAR is still leaving it in the hands of humans who make mistakes , I’d rather one ref makes a mistake than have 3 of them, multiple camera angles, slo-mos , still frames and pitchside monitors ( facing into the sun in our case 🙄) and still having different opinions on incidents.  

Failed experiment- get it tae f**k 😡

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

St Mirren sinking six figures into new stadium and training ground grass pitches - Daily Record

Spending money on a sub par pitch before it becomes an embarrassment. It'll never catch on.:rolleyes:

Hearts I think have the right idea hybrid. Their pitch always looks good. No call offs and looks decent even in harsh winter months. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Might have been posted before, but is there a list of who is out of contract in the summer and who we have tied up beyond then?

Not saying this is accurate, but it'll be something like this :-

Peter
Fraser Bolton Taylor        Kenny

Elvis           Tanser     
Brown   Sutherland

O'Hara      CBM

F Taylor   Kiltie

Toyosi        Mandron    McMenamin Scott        Ayunga       Jaimieson

Gilmarton  Offord  Gafney  

Players due to leave
Strain  Baccus  Hemming  Kwon  Dunne  Gogic
Flynn (into coaching)  Greive (away already in effect)

2 PCA'S likely a keeper and a CB.

Edited by medals

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2024 at 18:57, Wilbur said:

The system is absolutely fine.

It's the incompetents controlling it that's the problem.

On 01/05/2024 at 19:09, RandomGuy. said:

Pish.

The "system" requires human input and decision making, which creates inconsistency, that makes it no better than just simply reffing a game as before.

The only technology like this in football should be goal line technology. 

People know my 2 cents regarding this, but I cannot see a negative in knowing for a fact whether a ball is over the line or not, or whether a player is offside.

How the referees deal with that, and how the rules are written to take that into account is where I feel the system is failing. Do people think that someone who is literally an inch or two offside should be punished for that? I'm not so sure, I think there should be some leeway given to attacking players, I've seen many chastise VAR for correctly showing a player is offside based on the current rules, yet those are the rules, it's not the technology that is at fault.

What's more, we at least have the opportunity to review the incident in real time, something that simply did not happen before, and when was the last time you remember a governing body coming out and admitting that their referees made a series of errors and highlighting those errors? Maybe that happens more than I think, but I can't remember a time that it was done, let alone identifying exactly where the failure was.

In a way, both of you are correct. The "system" is fine, but it also requires human input which is flawed. Some may say, "well just get rid of it and go back to the way it was, even if that way was more flawed", and I'm sorry but that's a Luddite attitude as technology is neither going away, nor is FIFA/UEFA/SFA/SPFL (or whoever) going to request it to be removed. Part of that is going to be ego, they don't want to be seen to have made a mistake, but the future is only going to be more technological.

We may even get the point where referees are not needed. Much like airline pilots, they aren't needed. Computers can fly planes far safer and efficiently than humans do - and to a large part are in control of an aeroplane during a flight far more than humans are, yet people like to see a pilot and get concerned at the thought of their lives being in the hands of a computer. The same could perhaps be said of referees, AI is going to get to a stage, if it's not there already, that it can determine whether a rule was broken far better than a human can, yet people would feel uncomfortable with it not being within the auspices of a human.

Edit: sorry I should have mentioned the time taken for decisions to be made, decisions that look entirely clear to everyone watching. That is far too long, and I don't think anyone thinks differently on that.

Edited by Ric

In regard to the Mandron rumour and Utrecht. Has this come about organically, as Lammers is currently on loan at Utrecht and doing very well and I know they are keen to retain him, but are they targetting (if they are) someone from the same league as Lammers' parent club as some sort of offset rather than an actual interest?

56 minutes ago, medals said:

Peter

Elvis           Tanser     
Brown   Sutherland

O'Hara      CBM

F Taylor   Kiltie

Players due to leave

Did Div not post Hemming just purchased a house in Houston. Just saying : - )

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Did Div not post Hemming just purchased a house in Houston. Just saying : - )

Yes... he may be the keeper we have on a PCA, but we don't know that for sure.

We are also trying to get Kwon back and just maybe Strain, and/or Gogic will sign for another season.

Sutherland and Mandron might also leave for £big.

I think some of the younger lads will go back out on loan too - hopefully to Championship teams and get regular game time.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

We are also trying to get Kwon back and just maybe Strain, and/or Gogic will sign for another season.

I think some of the younger lads will go back out on loan too - hopefully to Championship teams and get regular game time.

We don’t have a keeper or a CB on PCA’s.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Peter

Elvis           Tanser     
Brown   Sutherland

O'Hara      CBM

F Taylor   Kiltie

Players due to leave

Brown is only on loan and should leave. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

Peter

Elvis           Tanser     
Brown   Sutherland

O'Hara      CBM

F Taylor   Kiltie

Players due to leave

Brown is only on loan till end of the season. I think we will be looking to fill his place as well as Strain's. Elvis and Tanner could well be our first choice full backs going into next season (with Elvis signing an extension of course).

Would love to see Gogic stay, though the only pull may be European football and at that he may already be considering an alternative move outside the country.

I see Mallan at Salford has been released. Not sure how fit he is following a long term injury, though if affordable would anyone be up for him filling one of those midfield roles?

The sea change with Hemming is interesting. When I pointed out what a bad season he had with Killie I was told to stop bitching about a new player. He's had what most would consider a good season, and compared to last season a very good one, yet people are lukewarm on us retaining him.

1 minute ago, medals said:

I thought we had an option for another year... but perhaps not?

I personally haven't been impressed with any of his appearances thus far. I think the team looks weaker when he's playing.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, medals said:

Hemming isn't signing a PCA as he isn't out of contract for another two years at Boro.

My preference is that on the whole, he's done a good job - better than I expected him to - but I don't like a first choice keeper being a loan deal and I don't think we should be sinking a lot of money into signing him permanently. He's done a good job but his ability with crosses gives me the absolute fear. I think if we're going to invest in a permanent goalie there's going to be better out there than Zach though I wouldn't be devastated if we reached an arrangement with Boro that saw him coming in full time with a low or no fee required.

Strain and Baccus are 100% gone. Robinson said as much without naming them specifically yesterday when he said he has players who have already indicated they won't be extending their deals and you can't imagine he's talking about Dunne or Grieve in that context. You could potentially add Gogic to that list too.

We will most certainly bring in 2 centre halves to replace the two (Dunne and Gogic) likely to leave and two CMs to replace the three (Baccus, Kwon and Flynn) that will depart. I'd imagine Fraser Taylor will take Flynn's place in the squad. Replace an old guy in the middle with limited first team minutes with a young guy in the middle who is now ready for some first team minutes when needed and relatively low wage to boot.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I see Mallan at Salford has been released. Not sure how fit he is following a long term injury, though if affordable would anyone be up for him filling one of those midfield roles?

Absolutely not for me. Very talented player when he's on it but an injury prone passenger.

He wouldn't fit in a Robinson team at all.