The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Strange one if they are willing to let him go . Wonder if a wee bit of negotiation is required regarding any sell on percentages .

Almost definitely.

If they are comfortable to let him leave a year early then they'll want a sizeable chunk of a sell on, same as Brentford were holding out on for Aaron Pressley last season.

Or....they could be knocking it back as we also do have someone that they apparently want and they may be holding back Balmer as a makeweight.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Had genuinely been planning to post that I could see a situation where we didn't sign a striker during the summer as we already have loads under contract and the only possibility for movement was if someone offered us money for one of them, Mandron the most likely - and even then I doubt the sort of clubs who'd want him would be able to meet what we were looking for.

Didn't think there'd be rumours that quickly! Tomorrow I'll think about posting about winning the lottery.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Had genuinely been planning to post that I could see a situation where we didn't sign a striker during the summer as we already have loads under contract and the only possibility for movement was if someone offered us money for one of them, Mandron the most likely - and even then I doubt the sort of clubs who'd want him would be able to meet what we were looking for.

Didn't think there'd be rumours that quickly! Tomorrow I'll think about posting about winning the lottery.

I'm sure there were posts from the summer from Motherwell fans about Mandron mocking us for signing him, one i think said he looked like he had four different people who all hated each other controlling his limbs. Turned out much better than expected.

In other news.................

If you have a read of the Lincoln City forum, their fans love Erhahon and are convinced a championship team will snap him up in the summer.

Potential for a sell on fee hopefully.

9 hours ago, FTOF said:

If you have a read of the Lincoln City forum, their fans love Erhahon and are convinced a championship team will snap him up in the summer.

To think so many of our fans said he was shite, had a bad attitude and should be sent to the championship on loan. They thought Cammy MacPherson should have been kept and played ahead of him!

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

To think so many of our fans said he was shite, had a bad attitude and should be sent to the championship on loan. They thought Cammy MacPherson should have been kept and played ahead of him!

Interesting thing that Cammy MacPherson left you in August 2021, and Erhahon left you in January 2023, and Erhahon has managed more games for his new club than MacPherson. Boys a walking sick note and I'm going to raging if we give him a new contract (Levein is already hinting he will as he's "looks great in training").

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting thing that Cammy MacPherson left you in August 2021, and Erhahon left you in January 2023, and Erhahon has managed more games for his new club than MacPherson. Boys a walking sick note and I'm going to raging if we give him a new contract (Levein is already hinting he will as he's "looks great in training").

What's he been like when he's played? Has he ever managed a decent run, of say, ten games to get into any sort of rhythm?

I know we've debated his ability numerous times on here, but I always felt that he had the makings of a really good player at this level and think it's a shame that he's been pretty unlucky with injuries.

Edited by houston_bud

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

What's he been like when he's played? Has he ever managed a decent run of say, ten games, to get into any sort of rhythm?

I know we've debated his ability numerous times on here, but I always felt that he had the makings of a really good player at this level and think it's a shame that he's been pretty unlucky with injuries.

Always felt he was a 1 in 4 player. He'd come up with one absolute belter of a match and you'd think he was going to kick on then he'd play like a man down the rest of the month.

Always laughed at folk thinking MacPherson was a better player than Erhahon because Cammy ran about more and looked busier.

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Burnley were being mentioned the other day which would be an absolutely outstanding move for him.

Good news is that we apparently have a 20% sell on. Bad news is that Lincoln's transfer record sale is £750k so hopefully they don't sell him on the cheap.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought it was pretty obvious when he was with us, he's a hard-working industrious type, perfectly suited to the Championship. He never struck me as a first choice top flight footballer.

11 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'm sure there were posts from the summer from Motherwell fans about Mandron mocking us for signing him, one i think said he looked like he had four different people who all hated each other controlling his limbs. Turned out much better than expected.

That description probably sums up Josh Magennis when we had him. He barely looked like a footballer, yet then went to Kilmarnock and was fantastic.

Most folk were having a good laugh at Bair when Motherwell signed him, his turnaround has been incredible.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

The Lincoln fan doing the FourFourTwo preview mentioned him as their player to watch. Think he was mentioned last month in the feature on each team's star performer. I think Kyle McAllister also got the one to watch/star performer tags for Forest Green but not sure he's been up against much given their past few years!

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

What's he been like when he's played? Has he ever managed a decent run, of say, ten games to get into any sort of rhythm?

He's okay. It's hard to explain without making him sound great but you can see why coaches love him. He's good at a lot of things and you can picture him being more intense in training than others, and pinging passes/shots about making it look easy as you get flashes of it in games.

I genuinely don't know what it is but there's just something he lacks that means it's all inconsistent, and then he's inevitably out for another month and all the progress is lost.

If he'd joined us, without being proclaimed Ali McCanns replacement and had played without the injuries, I think he'd be starting every week and liked well enough without being a standout. 

Feels like Erhahon's been around forever, but he's only 22. Lincoln fans do seem resigned to losing him in the summer so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Always thought he had potential to play for Scotland and still he think he might. He was MOTM and captain when Lincoln knocked out Sheffield United in the league cup at Brammall Lane back at the start of the season and he was linked with going to the the EPL with them in January, but that never came about.  Definitely think he's more than capable of playing at that top end of the championship lower end of the EPL level of club, and if he does go to a team like that and get a regular game he'll get a Scotland call up before long. 

Maybe this will be summer when the annual McGinn moving to X super club rumour and making us millionaires will finally be replaced.

SPFL have confirmed we've been on the receiving end of 3 dodgy decisions -

Bolton's red card v Dundee (didnt affect result but meant he missed game away at Livi, which we lost);

Penalty we should have had for handball in the away Ross County game;

Penalty we should have had for foul on McMenamin v Hearts.

I now fully expect us to get everything going on Saturday, if it truly does "even itself out over a season".

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That one's weird because some Hearts fans said it wasn't a penalty. Despite the fact it very clearly was. 

11 minutes ago, Hendo said:

SPFL have confirmed we've been on the receiving end of 3 dodgy decisions -

Bolton's red card v Dundee (didnt affect result but meant he missed game away at Livi, which we lost);

Penalty we should have had for handball in the away Ross County game;

I now fully expect us to get everything going on Saturday, if it truly does "even itself out over a season".

The Bolton one is particularly annoying as the red was given, the VAR told the referee to go to the monitor and review as it was probably not a red and the referee stuck with the decision.

We then spent money appealing the decision and getting the red overturned....and it was fucking upheld!

So not only is the decision incorrect, the advice was to overturn and that was ignored, then there was an appeal to overturn and that too was ignored and now a couple of months later, it comes out that they got it wrong. How the f**k does that fly?!

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The Bolton one is particularly annoying as the red was given, the VAR told the referee to go to the monitor and review as it was probably not a red and the referee stuck with the decision.

We then spent money appealing the decision and getting the red overturned....and it was fucking upheld!

So not only is the decision incorrect, the advice was to overturn and that was ignored, then there was an appeal to overturn and that too was ignored and now a couple of months later, it comes out that they got it wrong. How the f**k does that fly?!

Forgot about the appeal. At the very fucking least we should be getting the appeal charge back.