The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

What about Gogic- unbelievable how good he’s been these past few games. To think some on here a fortnight ago said they’d not be bothered if we offered Gogic a better deal or not. We will offer him our top wage of that I’m sure and whilst it won’t come close he deserves to make a few bob . Our team has been built around him and he will be a huge loss. 

24 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

What about Gogic- unbelievable how good he’s been these past few games. To think some on here a fortnight ago said they’d not be bothered if we offered Gogic a better deal or not. We will offer him our top wage of that I’m sure and whilst it won’t come close he deserves to make a few bob . Our team has been built around him and he will be a huge loss. 

I don't recall anyone saying that. 

I do recall people saying we have a wage structure and while he deserves to be at the top, we cannot go significantly outside it.

This type of straw man argument is very B&WA.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

Oh dear.

I clearly never said that. What I did say was pretty accurately summarised by @Torfasonso thank you to him for saving me the pain of having to rationalise my thought process once again.

So where are all the Dee fans on our thread now...

Their 1 win against us had them drooling.

Yesterday on their patch we had them in our pocket.

No doubt we've deserved our points tally this year.

If we win next week and killie get a thumping today also... you just never know...

5 minutes ago, medals said:

So where are all the Dee fans on our thread now...

Think that’s harsh. Majority of messages on yesterday’s match day thread from Dundee fans were very complimentary and rightly so.

It’s banter. Nothing is settled just now in terms of final league placing. We as a club still need to get over the line in terms of European qualification.

Remember this is St Mirren we are talking about - if any team can grasp defeat from the jaws of victory 😂 

If we do finish in 5th (or the unlikely 4th spot) let’s just hope the relevant UEFA license is up to date.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Those of us who are of a certain age (ie under 45) generally have always talked about Tromso, Elfsborg, Feyenoord, Slavia Prague, Mechlen, St Ettiene and yes, even the H word with almost hushed tones of reverence. A generation that we were just a bawhair too late for.

Stories of trips to places that those of us who went through our formative years supporting the club weaned on a Wednesday night in Brechin or an end of season 4-0 skelping off of Alloa, could only dream of as they felt like the stuff of pure fantasy compared to our St. Mirren supporting experience. That was the sort of stuff that happened to other clubs, not us. Not the St. Mirren of the mid to late 90s we supported. A generation of supporters who regarded trips in the early 2000s to places like Pittodrie and Tynecastle as total luxuries as we'd not grown up supporting a St. Mirren that played at these grounds. A St. Mirren where going to these places was taken as the norm rather than novelty.

The fact that we are so, SO close to finally adding our own experiences to the ones that guys now in their late 50s, early 60s got to do as young men feels almost surreal. I get that other teams clubs are like 'pffft, Europe, been there done that' but there have been times, decades long spells that European football wasn't so much a pipedream as it was simply something that just could never be achieved. I have said before that seeing us there just once will be enough and I stand by that.

Of course I want us in Europe on a regular basis but if you'd told me in the days of going to Stirling Albion having to win to essentially not go part time that we'd just get one crack at Europe in my life, given the utter shite we were always finding ourselves in, I'd have happily accepted.

How far the club has come in the last few years, basically since Scott took over from the old board has been unbelievable. As a fellow fan whose main formative years were the 90s this is incredible. When you were used to watching Andy Roddie playing up front while you narrowly scraped a 1-0 win in a relegation 6 pointer against against Stranraer or Cowdenbeath, this is the stuff of dreams. 

Even now I'm so conditioned by those years it took me till the split this year to stop looking at the bottom of the table first to check how far off relegation we are.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

If we don't push the boat out to re-sign Gogic, it would be sheer folly on our part.

Sure he's had a few dodgy moments, like all our defence has had, but other than that he's been a colossus.

Don't know if it's just standard Dundee United fan behaviour (some clubs have fans *glances at Hibs* who seem to think theyll just be able to up and sign every other clubs best players every window) or not, but Twitter is rife with their fans claiming they've signed him on a PCA.

I appreciate that we still have to qualify but this advice is just as important if you are planning a holiday.

I’d encourage people to check the expiry date of their passports so as not to fall foul of any bureaucratic rules.

If you are travelling to the EU, your passport needs to be less than 10 years old on the day you enter, and valid for at least three months after the day you plan to leave.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't know if it's just standard Dundee United fan behaviour (some clubs have fans *glances at Hibs* who seem to think theyll just be able to up and sign every other clubs best players every window) or not, but Twitter is rife with their fans claiming they've signed him on a PCA.

Aye. They also said in last few days that they'd be in position to take Strain and Boyle from Hibs if Hibs chose to cash in. Worth bearing in mind that Twitter rumours were also rife that Gogic had signed for them two years ago before we did, that Michael O'Neill was the next Aberdeen manager and Blair Spittal had signed a PCA with us. 

Get the feeling they have plenty of supporters who are a bit delusional but if they were to sign on of our out of contract players, Gogic would probsbly be most likely as they will throw money they apparently don't have at players to avoid a repeat of their last time up.

Edited by djchapsticks

Did the Gallagher to United deal include a fee if they came up? If so let’s throw that money at Gogic, I suspect he may be away in any event but would be gutted if it was to another Scottish club. 

I could see Dundee United offering Gogic stupid money TBF. They are paying Gallagher way more than we were, and I think now also owe us a fee. If they give Gogic £5k p/w then there really isn't anything we can do about that.

19 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Think that’s harsh. Majority of messages on yesterday’s match day thread from Dundee fans were very complimentary and rightly so.

It’s banter. Nothing is settled just now in terms of final league placing. We as a club still need to get over the line in terms of European qualification.

Remember this is St Mirren we are talking about - if any team can grasp defeat from the jaws of victory 😂 

If we do finish in 5th (or the unlikely 4th spot) let’s just hope the relevant UEFA license is up to date.

It is and has been for a while.

Was reconfirmed a couple of weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Did the Gallagher to United deal include a fee if they came up? If so let’s throw that money at Gogic, I suspect he may be away in any event but would be gutted if it was to another Scottish club. 

Yes. Think it was a six figure fee in event of promotion.

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

I could see Dundee United offering Gogic stupid money TBF. They are paying Gallagher way more than we were, and I think now also owe us a fee. If they give Gogic £5k p/w then there really isn't anything we can do about that.

And this was what I was getting at a few weeks ago. That if he wants far more than we are able or willing to pay, we shouldn't push the boat out to make it happen. Gogic is already one of our highest is not highest paid player. Getting into a bidding war with a club who have a history of proving they'll overspend to get what they want is a path to ruin.

Unfortunately one poster in particular took a bit of umbrage with the 'let's be realistic, he's not worth THAT' approach though and has since decided I want Gogic gone which couldn't be further from the truth.

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gogic would probsbly be most likely as they will throw money they apparently don't have at players to avoid a repeat of their last time up.

Aye. Over £20k a week on a back five of Grimshaw, Gallagher, Gogic, Graham and McMann.

Its wild.

55 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I agree. Social media's full of folk jubilantly claiming to be renewing their passports, etc. If we lose and Dundee win next week, then there will be two points in it again. Then imagine, like Motherwell, they pull off a shock result against Rangers and we draw against Hearts. It will be level going in to the last game; they have Killie at home and we got to Parkhead!

Take the Old Firm out of the equation, we need a couple of bad results against Hearts and Killie and they need to beat them! It's not certain yet. Yesterday was a massive, massive result and puts us within touching distance. Let's hope it's done next weekend as we beat Killie and they lose at Tynecastle. Then we can celebrate.   

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. Over £20k a week on a back five of Grimshaw, Gallagher, Gogic, Graham and McMann.

Its wild.

I remember being pretty jealous of their transfer business the summer before last and look where it got them.

That said, it became clear that their failure to sign Gogic (or his refusal to sign for Jack Ross) could have been the difference between them staying up and not. As mentioned, Goodwin signed him for us and he's OOC so it's an entirely plausible transfer.

Goodwin got nowhere near the level of performance out of Gogic as Robinson does, same goes for majority of the players who have played under both tbh. That should be of concern for Dundee Utd fans before they get that excited. Can’t grudge Gogic what could be one last decent pay day. He’s been great this season.