The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

In the POTY vote, whether folk went for Gogic, Tanser, Hemming, Kiltie or whoever, I think Marcus deserves an honourable mention. I still think he’s underrated and it was good to hear Billy Dodds giving him a shout out after the game at Dens. 

We have been pretty strongly linked to Kofi Balmer as well. There's surely not a chance we bring in 2 central defenders with potentially only Charles Dunne leaving. 

A central defensive pool of Gogic, Fraser, Bolton, Taylor and one of Bedeau or Balmer is the start of a really strong spine. 

Need the goalkeeper position sorted, an attacking RWB and one or two other central midfielders and another attacking player and I don't think we are far away from a good team for next year. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, no harm to Fraser but he's being managed towards a backup role. Not because there's anything wrong with him, but because we are rightly looking to improve.

Edit: just saw @houston_bud's post. It's definitely a tough one. I wouldn't have the stones to be that ruthless.

I always wonder about benching guys who are a 7/10 every week. Gogic has been the standout defender (player even) but I could name two or three mistakes he's had that have cost us. I can't really remember Fraser making anything glaring. He's a steady player and I would be in no rush to drop him.

16 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I always wonder about benching guys who are a 7/10 every week. Gogic has been the standout defender (player even) but I could name two or three mistakes he's had that have cost us. I can't really remember Fraser making anything glaring. He's a steady player and I would be in no rush to drop him.

There is no guarantee that Gogic won't play in midfield sometimes too.

3 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

We have been pretty strongly linked to Kofi Balmer as well. There's surely not a chance we bring in 2 central defenders with potentially only Charles Dunne leaving. 

A central defensive pool of Gogic, Fraser, Bolton, Taylor and one of Bedeau or Balmer is the start of a really strong spine. 

Need the goalkeeper position sorted, an attacking RWB and one or two other central midfielders and another attacking player and I don't think we are far away from a good team for next year. 

I can see Gogic playing in midfield or Central defence depending on who,s available.  I don't have a problem with us signing two Central defenders , think Robbo will make us very.hard to beat  .

8 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

With the sad loss of Jim Rodger recently, does anyone know if there are any of the 59 cup winners still living? 

Alastair Miller is alive, I believe he still lives in Johnstone.

5 hours ago, medals said:

There is no guarantee that Gogic won't play in midfield sometimes too.

3 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I can see Gogic playing in midfield or Central defence depending on who,s available.  I don't have a problem with us signing two Central defenders , think Robbo will make us very.hard to beat  .

I can't.

I think Diarmuid O'Carroll utterly killed off the 'Gogic is a midfielder' thing a couple months ago. 

Fraser is vice captain and been a consistent performer. I'd be reluctant to just drop him because someone else has come in.

2 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

davie walker alive too but that’s it 

We met him in the Saints shop April last year 🙂

IMG-20230415-WA0000.jpg

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can't.

I think Diarmuid O'Carroll utterly killed off the 'Gogic is a midfielder' thing a couple months ago. 

Yeah that’s totally done. He’s just off the back of his best ever season playing centre back, there is zero chance he will start a game for us in midfield.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Fraser is vice captain and been a consistent performer. I'd be reluctant to just drop him because someone else has come in.

I think he's been very average this season.

Not really bothered whether he starts or not.

If we get a very good left sided CH, then I'd have the new guy have Bolton and Gogic as first choice all day long. 

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can't.

You may well be right but if we are chasing a goal late on especially, he will likely add attacking threat, as well as for corners etc.

It's his drive that can inspire others that is a top characteristic.

But we'll see... 3 years

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Screenshot_20240509_163848_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.6e574ebb451fdbb290ef8b4da51c40e0.jpgScreenshot_20240509_164143_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.a8bd268e079c01ab84c702c8ace2ea0f.jpg

Squad rebuilding money suggests Lincoln will be holding out for over £1.5m which would be a good boost if we get 20%

This is, of course, good news for everyone but I do feel a bit deflated that we couldn't have commanded a bigger fee when we sold him. Has playing in League 1 improved him that much that he's now going to go for 7 figures.

I know it's all about how much someone is willing to pay at the time but it does irk me that Hamilton and Livingston have sold players for far bigger sums than us. And I don't mean that to be disrespectful to those clubs.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is, of course, good news for everyone but I do feel a bit deflated that we couldn't have commanded a bigger fee when we sold him. Has playing in League 1 improved him that much that he's now going to go for 7 figures.

I know it's all about how much someone is willing to pay at the time but it does irk me that Hamilton and Livingston have sold players for far bigger sums than us. And I don't mean that to be disrespectful to those clubs.

Agreed but we had the double whammy of hanging onto Ethan too long (another last 6 months of his contract sale so we basically sold him for what we'd get in tribunal, plus a sell on) and some of our supporters/management inexplicably not rating him. Remember if it hadn't been for covid scuppering the deal, Goodwin would have hounded him out to Barnsley permanently following his bizarre loan there.

I still remember shouts of folk asking for Cammy MacPherson to play ahead of him which, with no disrespect intended to Cammy, was such a downgrade it was unreal but some felt as MacPherson ran about covering every blade of grass that he was giving so much more, regardless of quality of performance.

I'd slightly disagree with the assessment of L1 not improving him that much though, there was a feeling when he left that he'd thrive more down there as you do get a lot more time on the ball in the lower leagues in England than the SPFL and I do get the impression that plays into Ethan's strengths.

I've still no doubt he's going to go onto a Sunderland, Burnley or a Middlesbrough and within 2 years, be a £10m player that has teams who are established in the top flight knocking on his agent's door.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 hours ago, medals said:

You may well be right but if we are chasing a goal late on especially, he will likely add attacking threat, as well as for corners etc.

It's his drive that can inspire others that is a top characteristic.

But we'll see... 3 years

I don't get why people are determined to see this happen. You don't get it with any other position on the park. Nobody saw Kwon come in and went 'shit, he's over six foot, bet he could do a job at the back, or even better, up front.'

O'Carroll actually mocked this. He said they found it funny that just because Goga played in midfield for Hamilton, people kept banging on about him playing further up the pitch.

He's been our PotY at centre half and hasn't played in midfield all season. We've got class CMs, and an abundance of them (for now).

Alex Gogic is a centre half.

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is, of course, good news for everyone but I do feel a bit deflated that we couldn't have commanded a bigger fee when we sold him.

Jim Goodwin's fault.