The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Thing us, I said a few weeks ago we should have went for Rooney.

But just assumed it would be us, Killie, Motherwell, Dundee, Dundee Utd, St. Johnstone and maybe even Hibs and Aberdeen all sniffing about. He'd improve most of the starting XIs of those sides and at worst, be an excellent option.

So didn't think we'd really have much of a shout there. Delighted we've got a big bit of business done early doors and replaced one of the biggest gaps in the squad before the contracts are even up.

I don't recognise this level of competence.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Thing us, I said a few weeks ago we should have went for Rooney.

But just assumed it would be us, Killie, Motherwell, Dundee, Dundee Utd, St. Johnstone and maybe even Hibs and Aberdeen all sniffing about. He'd improve most of the starting XIs of those sides and at worst, be an excellent option.

So didn't think we'd really have much of a shout there. Delighted we've got a big bit of business done early doors and replaced one of the biggest gaps in the squad before the contracts are even up.

Why would he choose any of them over you?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rumours that were complete fantasy. He was always going to England after leaving us, unless Celtic made a move (which would never happen).

All I will say is that I have good sources which suggest otherwise, and that even McInnes thought it was done.

Just now, craigkillie said:

All I will say is that I have good sources which suggest otherwise, and that even McInnes thought it was done.

Same, i've zero reason to doubt the person who told me either. 

Either way, it never happened. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would he choose any of them over you?

Good point, we're massive!

Nah but honestly, when a player comes up that you know is probably going to be coveted by several teams of similar or larger size, you are sort of conditioned to think 'he'd be a good addition but there's no chance really'. 

I guess that's the old, 'f**k me we are a shambles' mindset though and not representative of the soundly run club we've become in the last few years.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same, i've zero reason to doubt the person who told me either. 

Either way, it never happened. 

It sounds like an agent just strung you along tbh, he's been pretty open that he wanted to have another go at English football again and felt his stock was high enough. It was a drunken chat with Brown that convinced him to pick them over others.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It sounds like an agent just strung you along tbh, he's been pretty open that he wanted to have another go at English football again and felt his stock was high enough. It was a drunken chat with Brown that convinced him to pick them over others.

Screenshot_20240515_111029_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.70cff4ca0f5d44fb00dc2d4b0e1eef51.jpg

From the horse's mouth here. He knocked us back too as he wanted to go south.

On 03/05/2024 at 11:57, NorthBank said:

Shaun Rooney has left Fleetwood. I would take him. Be difficult to replace Strain but Rooney is a good option.

Good call!

Strain definitely leaving then. Rooney a good signing. It obviously hasn't worked out for him in England but he's certainly good enough or the Scottish Premiership. Scott Tanser on the left Shaun Rooney on the right, full back goals and assists galore.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Shaun Rooney on the right, full back goals and assists galore.

Not sure his stats for goals and assists is that high but he will deliver crosses and is another gladiator type.

As our optimism rises we can but hope SR gets the best out of him and he stays fully fit and happy.

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Rooney should be a great signing now that he's finally here - remember him being on trial with us under Ian Murray. Good to get that position sorted early.

Thank god I was out last night. When I saw the score for the first time it was 2-2 and I was unimpressed so can only imagine how it was for those who'd been following it from the start. Glad it's done and dusted and we can relax a bit tonight. Hope Baccus and Strain can get a nice send off.

I don't care that it's the Conference, that we'll probably get some team I've never heard of and I don't care that they'll inevitably pump us (well, maybe hold off on that last one), seeing us in Europe was one of the few things left on my Saints bucket list. Winning the Scottish Cup and one of our current players representing Scotland are probably the only things left on it now.

Just a shame that my dad's not been around to enjoy the last couple of years and I imagine pretty much everyone else on here can think of folk who are sadly no longer with us to experience this.

Last time we were in Europe, it was against some team I’d never heard of.

Mechelen. .

We got a nil nil in the first leg which got us scratching our heads as they ran rings round us at Love Street in the second leg. How the chookie did we manage to get a draw with these boys on their own park. 

Anyway, they went on to win the cup winners cup that year beating Ajax in the final. 

I think I read somewhere that their directors invited the directors of the teams they’d beaten in earlier rounds to be their guests at the final. That would’ve been a nice day out for some Saintyboys. 

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Strain definitely leaving then. Rooney a good signing. It obviously hasn't worked out for him in England but he's certainly good enough or the Scottish Premiership. Scott Tanser on the left Shaun Rooney on the right, full back goals and assists galore.

Wouldn't say it hasn't worked.

He had a very good season last season, chipping in with 6 goals from RB and this season has been more stop start for him and he appears to have been moved between RB, CB and midfield.

Even at that, I'd say 80 games in 2 years at League 1 level and 15 goal involvements (8 goals, 7 assists) is a decent showing.

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

Strain leaving is no real surprise. He's been great for us, but will have other offers. Rooney signed up early is good business. 

Think everyone would have loved Strain to stay. Much like Rooney for Fleetwood, Ryan has had a very stop start season mainly due to injury and lack of fitness.

Strain 100% fit and on his game walks into almost any English 2nd tier side. I think a few clubs at the level he deserves to be will baulk at his injury record and struggles after the 70 minute mark in games. Pains me to see it but I could definitely see him showing up at Hearts.

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Delighted we've got a big bit of business done early doors and replaced one of the biggest gaps in the squad before the contracts are even up.

Clear message to those who are pitching for further improved offers from us - we won't hang on endlessly or pitch up with much more.

As Main found out too - more dosh, but playing less.

Feel like we've been linked with Rooney off and on for about 10 years. Didn't he play a game for us as a trialist under Danny Lennon after he left Queens Park? Slow burner but got him in the end. 

Just now, Lex said:

Feel like we've been linked with Rooney off and on for about 10 years. Didn't he play a game for us as a trialist under Danny Lennon after he left Queens Park? Slow burner but got him in the end. 

Was under Ian Murray.

He showed up relatively well but quite raw (he was still only 19) in a friendly and we opted not to sign him, sticking instead with Luke Conlan.

He then moved onto Dunfermline who had just been relegated to League 1.

27 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Last time we were in Europe, it was against some team I’d never heard of.

Mechelen. .

We got a nil nil in the first leg which got us scratching our heads as they ran rings round us at Love Street in the second leg. How the chookie did we manage to get a draw with these boys on their own park. 

Anyway, they went on to win the cup winners cup that year beating Ajax in the final. 

I think I read somewhere that their directors invited the directors of the teams they’d beaten in earlier rounds to be their guests at the final. That would’ve been a nice day out for some Saintyboys. 

Eli Ohana. Without Googling, he was their Israeli ‘star man’ wasn’t he? I remember when a group of Mechelen fans turned up unannounced for a game at Love Street in our final season. They had a signed Mechelen shirt for the club. At our old main stand entrance, Campbell Kennedy was informed, and he hastily got a Saints shirt signed in return. We were doing the ‘Final Chapter’ book at the time and grabbed some photos. A couple of them are in the book. I think the club fixed them up with some complimentaries in the main stand. I might be wrong. Pretty sure they would have been happier in the North Bank. Was that really over 15 years ago already?