The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

4 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

He was a very decent keeper I thought. He surprised many of us off the back of the feedback from Killie fans. 15 clean sheets in a season is pretty good.

I am however happy to move on and welcome the new goalie in. We have a very good record of recruiting goalkeepers and this new guy seems to have a good pedigree. Played at a few different levels and at a decent age too. A key area to have covered so early for the new season ahead.

He doesn't seem to have many games under his belt and the most he has played in a season seems to be 15 .

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

I’ve held my hands up for that but I’m not sure it’s relevant to the point I’m making.

There are more posts from folk begging a bang average keeper to come back than there was when three far superior keepers left!

Zach's stats say he was a bit better than bang average.  4th in saves made and 5th on shut outs. Kinda exactly what you would expect playing in a team that finished 5th. I'd say he was very decent but I'm not at all worried about him not staying. For as long as Jamie Langfield is at our club I will be very comfortable with whatever keeper comes in.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

On the goalkeeping situation, I think we can just be thankful to have dodged a bullet with Trevor Carson. 

36, expensive, injured again, prone now to clangers.

Knowing when to offload players seems to be a skill in itself for managers. Wonder if Robinsons nailed it again with Dunne?

5 hours ago, SS77 said:

I can’t say I’m bothered about Hemming being unavailable. He was good in the first half of the season but looked out of his depth most weeks after Christmas, especially with cross balls and shots close to his body. He seems like a decent guy and I wish him all the best but IMO it’s not the loss some fans seem to think it will be.

There’s been more of an uproar about Hemming leaving than the 3 keepers before him and Zach was nowhere near their level!

This is exactly how I feel. He falls firmly in the Billy O'Brien category of 'he's a good guy and replies on Twitter and Instagram so we must sign him' for some, with a number of people overlooking what I would say are some pretty evident shortcomings. Stats or not, he has some made some pretty major mistakes that have caused goals, Rangers at home last month (which he almost done again against Killie at home) and Killie vs Brad Lyons at the start of the season spring to mind straightaway. At times he has been erratic coming for crosses he is never getting, and others he has been superglued to his line with Gogic on a number of occasions berating him as his refusal to come and collect has caused the defence all sort of problems.

It's OK saying he's ranked fourth in saves but that really means nothing. Mark Ridgers made some amount of saves when he was here but no one was complaining when he left.

Don't get me wrong Hemming made some cracking saves, Dundee for one, but overall I was underwhelmed. He doesn't come close to Hladky, Alnwick or Carson. We are due a stinker, but I have faith that Robinson/Foyle rate the Brentford boy high enough considering they have rarely brought in a dud.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Knowing when to offload players seems to be a skill in itself for managers. Wonder if Robinsons nailed it again with Dunne?

Nothing to wonder, he's 100% nailed it.

We are almost at the stage when Hemming is being both massively underrated and overrated at the same time depending on the point the poster is making. For me he was a perfectly decent St Mirren level goalkeeper who did us a really good, if mostly unspectacular, turn and actually very rarely let us down. If he had stayed I'd be perfectly happy, but neither am I massively mourning his loss. I've got a feeling this new guy will be along the same lines.

At the end of the day we qualified for europe with Zach in goals. Most fans think he did a good job and if he returned no one would have been really disappointed. 

I don't think he deserves the negative comments. 

We have a new keeper. I for one thank Zach for his efforts and he was a top guy too. 

You’re right, he doesn’t deserve any negative comments, as he was a very capable keeper for us.

BUT, he hasn’t received any!! 

The general consensus seems to be goodbye and thanks for all the fish. (That quote might date me) 

We’ve had better and we’ve had (a lot) worse. Will he be remembered as one of our all time top keepers- no. But, he did us a turn when we were in need after Carson threw his toys out the pram, and for that I say thank you and good luck. 

In Langfield we trust

36 minutes ago, AW saint said:

At the end of the day we qualified for europe with Zach in goals. Most fans think he did a good job and if he returned no one would have been really disappointed. 

I don't think he deserves the negative comments. 

We have a new keeper. I for one thank Zach for his efforts and he was a top guy too. 

Better than Les Fridge but not as good as Campbell Money 👍🏻

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Possibly. I think Shaughnessy and Declan Gallagher were moved on - amicably - at good times as well.

24 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Better than Les Fridge but not as good as Campbell Money 👍🏻

Yes, that would have been a more simple way of putting it. (And it dates you also 😉)

However, it is 8pm on a Friday, so I suppose it’s just us old farts on here as the young uns are oot oan the ran dan😜

Zach was a perfectly acceptable top flight keeper. Nothing more and nothing less.

Perfectly acceptable. A good shot stopper, decent with the ball at his feet but slow with a throw out and pretty (really) poor at commanding his box.

Alnwick and Hladky were outstanding top flight keepers. Carson was also very good though you need to say is probably on the downslope of his career now and we probably got rid at the right time.

Zach for me simply wasn't worth us holding off for and clearly the management team also felt the same given they've decided that there is a better loan option out there to get right now than someone who might join on loan or permanently in 4 weeks.

I don't like goalkeepers on loan generally because you are at the mercy of the loaning club who could be one injury crisis away from a January recall and leave you totally fucked but the management team have clearly thought that Balcombe is worth that risk.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Zach was a perfectly acceptable top flight keeper. Nothing more and nothing less.

Perfectly acceptable. A good shot stopper, decent with the ball at his feet but slow with a throw out and pretty (really) poor at commanding his box.

Alnwick and Hladky were outstanding top flight keepers. Carson was also very good though you need to say is probably on the downslope of his career now and we probably got rid at the right time.

Zach for me simply wasn't worth us holding off for and clearly the management team also felt the same given they've decided that there is a better loan option out there to get right now than someone who might join on loan or permanently in 4 weeks.

I don't like goalkeepers on loan generally because you are at the mercy of the loaning club who could be one injury crisis away from a January recall and leave you totally fucked but the management team have clearly thought that Balcombe is worth that risk.

It's a full season loan

2 minutes ago, medals said:

It's a full season loan

Hope that's binding but almost all loans have a get out somewhere. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an opt out in January at one or both sides.

Hayden Coulson, and the lad Thorvalsson were also a full season loan and were cut short before the transfer window closed so I feel there's always a recall option.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hope that's binding but almost all loans have a get out somewhere. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an opt out in January at one or both sides.

Hayden Coulson, and the lad Thorvalsson were also a full season loan and were cut short before the transfer window closed so I feel there's always a recall option.

Yeah I get that but he's 4th choice down there. So it would have to be pretty unusual to recall him and depend on timing.

13 minutes ago, medals said:

Yeah I get that but he's 4th choice down there. So it would have to be pretty unusual to recall him and depend on timing.

Your only issue is likely similar to Motherwell and Biereth? If he does so well a club higher up the food chain might be able to take him in January on a loan of their own.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your only issue is likely similar to Motherwell and Biereth? If he does so well a club higher up the food chain might be able to take him in January on a loan of their own.

I'm not too worried about that to be honest. A player coming up here and performing well up front and scoring barrelloads is far more noticeable than one playing well in goals and most loaning clubs in terms of a keeper are happy as long as the player is getting first team minutes at a good level. Also most clubs aren't going to be in the market for a loan goalie in January unless something has gone spectacularly wrong.

An injury to one or two keepers though puts us at real risk.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The chances of him being literally murdered by Charles Dunne are minimal tbqh.

But never zero.