The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I believe it’s because there was an investigation into the finances. It didn’t find anything suspicious but the fact the investigation was initiated rules a club out of European Competition for a minimum of five years. Very strange rules but what can you do.

The investigation was launched by our own auditors who, in turn, made the police aware. Nothing was investigated by any governing body so it would not exactly make sense for that to be the reason. 

Also, if its a rule then its a rule that is almost universally ignored in terms of clubs playing in Europe given clubs with financial issues and investigations compete in UEFA competitions consistently. 

Edited by djchapsticks

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A beautiful amount of stupidity in the one post.

Magnificent really that someone comes on here and earnestly tries to debate a point from this level of misinformation. 

From the Kibble being a sponsor, to them gifting St. Mirren cash all the way to them skimming public funds to do so. 

I do know people who work at Kibble and say exactly the same as I have just said.

5 minutes ago, killiemilan said:

I do know people who work at Kibble and say exactly the same as I have just said.

Then they are talking shite. The Kibble do not sponsor St. Mirren and have not gifted them cash (our submitted accounts would have shown if they had).

I love how you justify what you say by going 'my pals work there' as if working for a company qualifies you as an expert in everything going on in the background. I work for a large company and know about 1% of the shit going on behind the scenes so I'll be treating your 'source' with the disdain it deserves.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Then they are talking shite. The Kibble do not sponsor St. Mirren and have not gifted them cash (our submitted accounts would have shown if they had).

I love how you justify what you say by going 'my pals work there' as if working for a company qualifies you as an expert in everything going on in the background. I work for a large company and know about 1% of the shit going on behind the scenes so I'll be treating your 'source' with the disdain it deserves.

Lets wait and see how the sordid episode turns out in coming months and years.

22 minutes ago, killiemilan said:

Lets wait and see how the sordid episode turns out in coming months and years.

:lol: Let's not. I'd much rather call you out for your shite just now if that's alright.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Right lads, what's the story here?

He came over as an unknown 17 year old trialist with another French lad. David Longwell who ran the youth academy wanted to sign both but Gus MacPherson wasn't sure.

So aye, we missed out on a player who went onto be massively successful. Add him to the same 'what if' brackett as Ronaldinho and David Platt.

1 minute ago, Fife Saint said:
4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
Just for the record, the number of goals he scored while on trial goes up every time he talks about it.

I guessed there would be two sides to this.

The lad was 17 as well. It's easy with hindsight being 20/20 etc but after our trial he went on to sign for a French 6th division side and then onto Le Havre reserves for a couple of years. It gets made out in some quarters that we were getting a world superstar and finished article at our doorstep and passed him up. That's definitely not the case. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just for the record, the number of goals he scored while on trial goes up every time he talks about it.

I thought he was nominated for the Golden Boot that year?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He came over as an unknown 17 year old trialist with another French lad. David Longwell who ran the youth academy wanted to sign both but Gus MacPherson wasn't sure.

So aye, we missed out on a player who went onto be massively successful. Add him to the same 'what if' brackett as Ronaldinho and David Platt.

Was there not a story that he stole a bike to use to get him back to the train station? 

Just reading the Third Lanark v Kilmarnock programme for 2nd January 1963, and there's this wee snippet - " Matt (Gray) has been absent from the first X1 on only two occassions. He missed the opening League Cup tie with St Mirren which was played at Hampden,..."

Can any Saints historian shed any light on this?

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just reading the Third Lanark v Kilmarnock programme for 2nd January 1963, and there's this wee snippet - " Matt (Gray) has been absent from the first X1 on only two occassions. He missed the opening League Cup tie with St Mirren which was played at Hampden,..."

Can any Saints historian shed any light on this?

If you don't get the answer here ask (  Cairters Corner ) on twitter I'm sure he can help you. 

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

If you don't get the answer here ask (  Cairters Corner ) on twitter I'm sure he can help you. 

Thanks, but I'm not on Twitter, maybe I should have put this in Infowire