The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Most clubs outside the ugly sisters would give their right back for season you guys had, a wee bit of humility at the time and a wee bit of latitude today perhaps?

What?

Nobody will ever forget what he done last season but thats in the past. In the last 18 months hes signed 1 player under 35 whos turned into a regular, and watched as the majority of our best players either leave or count down their contract. Come the Summer we'll have lost Clark, Rooney, Kerr, McCart, and McCann, plus effectively Craig, and not one has been replaced yet by an under 30 player. He gave us short term success but long term has completely fucked us. We might survive this season but we'll need to spend the next 3/4 windows trying to rebuild and how often does that succeed when you don't have a core of quality players to see you through?

Hes getting leeway by being allowed to keep his job and not being under huge pressure. I think we've scored 12 league goals at home in his 18 months in charge.

18 hours ago, Torfason said:

Most clubs outside the ugly sisters would give their right back for season you guys had, a wee bit of humility at the time and a wee bit of latitude today perhaps?

👍  Gus MacPherson and Danny Lennon liked this post.

We sacked both of those guys, one for reaching a final (the cursed final!) and the second one not just for reaching a cup final but winning it, while returning the highest league position we'd been in years (beaten by a single position by Goodwin last season).

Jim Goodwin insists St Mirren are lucky to have two 'top quality' goalkeepers and opens up on transfer window hope - Daily Record

“We’ve got targets, obviously. There’s not a huge amount of money in the budget. I believe we built a strong squad in the summer and we will try and add to it. We need a bit of pace in the team and that’s something we will try and do.

“There’s obviously going to be one or two players who are not happy with the lack of game time as well, so there might be one or two go the other way.

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

He's not wrong, he did build a fairly strong squad in the Summer, just a shame he plays a formation that doesn't get the best out of them.

The "we need pace" is a bit of a laugh, right? After all, the two paciest players we had (Durmus and Connolly) were not convinced to remain at the club.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

How far has Leckie fallen? He was a die hard buddie with a fairly decent take on things. In the last couple of years he's gone of the rails badly. I seem to remember him putting some absolutely awful shit into one of his "columns" and being surprised he'd turned into a petty minded boomer.

That piece is nothing other than "We have space for a Ferguson tribute, see whose free to fill it. No, it doesn't matter if it's good, it's the Sun ffs", and it reads as nothing more than Leckie performing figurative nostalgia driven oanism.

As for actual information? There is none, he makes no actual valid points, just a entire page of "I wish...".

On 31/12/2021 at 10:24, Ric said:

How far has Leckie fallen? He was a die hard buddie with a fairly decent take on things. In the last couple of years he's gone of the rails badly. I seem to remember him putting some absolutely awful shit into one of his "columns" and being surprised he'd turned into a petty minded boomer.

That piece is nothing other than "We have space for a Ferguson tribute, see whose free to fill it. No, it doesn't matter if it's good, it's the Sun ffs", and it reads as nothing more than Leckie performing figurative nostalgia driven oanism.

As for actual information? There is none, he makes no actual valid points, just a entire page of "I wish...".

He’s always been a slavering moron 

I see The Scotsman is linking us with a move for Gogic who, according to them, was told he was free to find another club.

No idea if there is any truth in this, or if the situation has changed with Maloney coming in, but I have to say I wouldn't be against it.

59 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

According to the BBC gossip and the Record online, Saints and Ross County are in for Gocic. No thanks.

Absolutely, the team lacks pace and goals. Gogic provides neither, Rudden from Partick would be a far better player to try and get in.

2 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Absolutely, the team lacks pace and goals. Gogic provides neither, Rudden from Partick would be a far better player to try and get in.

We need a decent winger with pace and a striker who can actually bag a few goals. Easier said than done within our budget.

Power is out of contract at the end of the season, but for me he’s better than Gocic.

5 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Gogic has played in the top flight and Rudden hasn't.

Yer man in charge seems completely obsessed with getting "hardened top flight players" in the door, ahead of ability.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gogic has played in the top flight and Rudden hasn't.

Yer man in charge seems completely obsessed with getting "hardened top flight players" in the door, ahead of ability.

I feel we've been a bit slow to pick up players from the Champ in recent seasons. Perhaps because they're either standout performers - McKay, Nisbet - that we've got no chance of signing, or they're complete diddies. 

But both of those guys were showing potential long before the bigger teams were circling and I think we should be a bit braver in going for guys at that level.

As you rightly say, it doesn't seem to fit Goodwin's strategy at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I feel we've been a bit slow to pick up players from the Champ in recent seasons. Perhaps because they're either standout performers - McKay, Nisbet - that we've got no chance of signing, or they're complete diddies. 

But both of those guys were showing potential long before the bigger teams were circling and I think we should be a bit braver in going for guys at that level.

Its harder than it looks I think, and virtually every top flight side end up looking at the same players. I know for a fact most were looking at Dylan Tait then you get a Hibs coming along to blow everyone away.

The richer clubs in this division have sorted themselves out a bit so its now a challenge finding gems before them. 

I find Goodwin a strange manager, and worry hes got himself bogged down after last season. Like he decided he needed more experience of the top flight in his sides to push them that final step, which is fine, but its like hes now stuck with that mindset a bit.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

To be fair, there haven't been many decent players in the championship of late.

Dundee seem to have signed a decent player in Luke McCowan though.

We were in for Raith's Regan Hendry by all accounts, so Goodwin does seem to know when a decent player is there.

If The Fakes want Rudden they'll get him. They've got history on spunking loads on wages.

Its harder than it looks I think, and virtually every top flight side end up looking at the same players. I know for a fact most were looking at Dylan Tait then you get a Hibs coming along to blow everyone away.
The richer clubs in this division have sorted themselves out a bit so its now a challenge finding gems before them. 
I find Goodwin a strange manager, and worry hes got himself bogged down after last season. Like he decided he needed more experience of the top flight in his sides to push them that final step, which is fine, but its like hes now stuck with that mindset a bit.
Last season was our best in a long time. We played out from the back through the midfield and it worked well. Now our only tactic is a hoofball to Tanser missing out some real quality midfield. Why the f**k did Goodwin change something that worked to something that doesn't?

40 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've been saying as much about Rudden and Zanatta for a while now.