The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The goal scoring issue with St Mirren is not a new thing by any stretch. We’ve been a graveyard for strikers in what seems like a long time. Aside from Gavin Reilly scoring 20 in the championship winning season, the last decent scorer was probably Higdon.

It does make me wonder what goes on at academy level where we seem to produce no decent strikers. 

Edited by glenburn bud

56 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The goal scoring issue with St Mirren is not a new thing by any stretch. We’ve been a graveyard for strikers in what seems like a long time. Aside from Gavin Reilly scoring 20 in the championship winning season, the last decent scorer was probably Higdon.

It does make me wonder what goes on at academy level where we seem to produce no decent strikers. 

Thommo is reading that post and is absolutely livid.

But your broad point stands.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but everything I know of Lewis Jamieson suggests he stands a chance of being a top flight striker if he develops right.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but everything I know of Lewis Jamieson suggests he stands a chance of being a top flight striker if he develops right.

I’d be surprised if he’s not recalled from ICT for the second half of the season. 

Coming into a team struggling to score might be a bit of a tall order for a youngster, but needs must.

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d be surprised if he’s not recalled from ICT for the second half of the season. 

Coming into a team struggling to score might be a bit of a tall order for a youngster, but needs must.

Yeah, I think most Buds would rather see him coming off the bench than than Erwin/Dennis/Main, who just haven't done enough. Could argue Erwin maybe hasn't had the chance this season, but it is what it is.

Also, guys like Reid, Offord and Henderson have also shown that whilst raw and young, they all have enough about them to be squad players at this point and can be relied on in an emergency at the very least. I actually quite like Gogic and think he could do a job for us, but with Reid definitely in contention for one of the midfeild spots, it seems like a player we don't need. Hopefully Goodwin is more focused on the type of players we all know we need. Going from his recent press interviews it sounds like he is to be fair.

I'll keep on banging this 3-4-3 drum, and it'd work with Gogic. Plus, the performances of Henderson in December plus the emergence of Jamieson gives us options across the front three that we didn't necessarily have before.

This looks like a good, exciting line-up to me, and those two battlers in the middle are essential for protection because you lose the midfield without them in there.

Fraser - Shaughnessy - Dunne

Millar - Power - Gogic - Tanser

Henderson - Jamieson - Brophy

Last season we played with a back 3. The difference was we played out from the back with JDH picking the ball up from the back 3 and spraying it forward resulting in the best season we have had in years. Until we change our current tactics it would't matter too much which players we get in.

We need a playmaket next to Power - not an clone. Someone who can confidently take the ball from defence and pass forwards with it. Ronan could do that and so can Flynn. In front of Ronan I'd have Power - these two also covering wing back areas. Then McGrath, Tanser and Henderson with Jamieson and Brophy up front.

Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy 

Ronan/Flynn

Power

Henderson - McGrath - Tanser

Jamieson - Brophy

However we need to change the tactics first.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Cut me some slack bud, Thommo never came through our youth system. In other words I completely forgot about him 🤣

Only because we chose Gavin Galloway instead of him.......................:thumbsdown

The Buddies entered the winter break on an 11-game winless run in the cinch Premiership.

St Mirren failed to replace either Ilkay Durmus and Dylan Connolly in the summer window

It has led to the Paisley side being too predictable and one-paced at times this campaign.

“I still think we need a bit of pace," Goodwin said. “It’s something I thought we had sorted out in the summer but we were let down by one or two clubs.

“That’s an area of the squad I think we can all agree that we need to try and improve on.

“We lost Ilkay Durmus and Dylan Connolly in the summer and we didn’t really replace that injection of pace.

“I think it’s important in the modern-day game to have that.

“We need to see what happens with one or two of our own players. There’s interest in a few.”

From The Scotsman.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Only because we chose Gavin Galloway instead of him.......................:thumbsdown

I remember a lot of excitement about Gavin Galloway who had won international caps at each age group and him being touted as one to watch in one of the national newspapers - he came into a poor team and soon became the scapegoat (at 19?) then left to go down a division or two and disappeared fairly quickly after that.

16 minutes ago, btb said:

I remember a lot of excitement about Gavin Galloway who had won international caps at each age group and him being touted as one to watch in one of the national newspapers - he came into a poor team and soon became the scapegoat (at 19?) then left to go down a division or two and disappeared fairly quickly after that.

At the time we were offered a choice between Galloway and Sir Thommo, we could only afford to take on one player. It was the mid-nineties and our financial state was rather fragile, to say the least.

IIRC Galloway had a few injuries, which didn't help his cause. He left for Stranraer and later on became the Green Bigots sports masseur.

I really hope young Jamieson can get more game time at ICT this season and comes back in the summer ready to join our first team squad but I will be really concerned if Jim brings back a player who can’t get a start in the Championship to solve our lack of goals.

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

At the time we were offered a choice between Galloway and Sir Thommo, we could only afford to take on one player. It was the mid-nineties and our financial state was rather fragile, to say the least.

IIRC Galloway had a few injuries, which didn't help his cause. He left for Stranraer and later on became the Green Bigots sports masseur.

Was Galloway not a striker in the youth set-up? I seem to remember him playing up front when he got a run out in a meaningless end of season game. Then when he got into the team a year or so later he'd been punted to leftback 🤔

We are building Jamieson up here. The lad needs to come into a winning set up and not have our hopes pinned on him. We don't have pace up front and a striker who can hit the target. Goodwin needs to find the right blend going forward or its a nervy last half of the season.

Bringing Jamieson back would put a bit more pressure on our current strikers in terms of being automatic picks, it's our weak area and I understand the need to manage expectations but I'd bring him down.

8 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'll keep on banging this 3-4-3 drum, and it'd work with Gogic. Plus, the performances of Henderson in December plus the emergence of Jamieson gives us options across the front three that we didn't necessarily have before.

This looks like a good, exciting line-up to me, and those two battlers in the middle are essential for protection because you lose the midfield without them in there.

Fraser - Shaughnessy - Dunne

Millar - Power - Gogic - Tanser

Henderson - Jamieson - Brophy

What the f**k is exciting about that XI? We’d get roasted every week.

We’d have the slowest midfield in the league. Where is your creativity and supply coming from? Where is McGrath, the best player we have in the entire squad?

Brophy is a penalty box striker not wide left of a three. Why is he being shunted from his natural position for a lad that’s scored a couple goals on loan in the league below?

Surprised you’ve not recalled MacPherson and stuck him in there too ffs