The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Alnwick and McCarthy (both out of contract) move to Aberdeen. They are terrible at the back this season.

I'd think Alnwick would certainly be hoping for a better move than Aberdeen, i can see Rangers going in for him, or Championship clubs down south. He certainly won't be staying with us sadly :( McCarthy is a strange one, he was one of our best players last season, but he can't get a game now. Would Aberdeen sign our third choice central defender? Maybe they would, he needs to go somewhere where he can regular football. 

I Don't hate Jack Ross, I'm just struggling to see why some people are so obsessed. It's like Gus, club legend, could not careless what he is up to. Loved Danny Lennon, who cares what he does at Clyde.  Imagine if Hendrie had left after getting us promoted. He actually achieved as much Ross did.

19 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

I Don't hate Jack Ross, I'm just struggling to see why some people are so obsessed. It's like Gus, club legend, could not careless what he is up to. Loved Danny Lennon, who cares what he does at Clyde.  Imagine if Hendrie had left after getting us promoted. He actually achieved as much Ross did.

I'm the same no hatred whatsoever his time was magic just don't want him back. Robson is full of enthusiasm for leading Saints he is the right man at the right time have a good feeling about this appointment.  

47 minutes ago, Lex said:

I'd think Alnwick would certainly be hoping for a better move than Aberdeen, i can see Rangers going in for him, or Championship clubs down south. He certainly won't be staying with us sadly :( McCarthy is a strange one, he was one of our best players last season, but he can't get a game now. Would Aberdeen sign our third choice central defender? Maybe they would, he needs to go somewhere where he can regular football. 

Why would Goodwin sign him when wasn't playing him? 

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I just posted that on B & W Army as well.:lol:

It was mentioned in our thread as well.

Carson's got family in the North East, he was linked with a move back to Hartlepool before United moved for him at the last minute and he had a loan option in January to move back there before Robinson signed him for Morecambe.

He's spoken a few times about travelling back and forth to Newcastle to spend time with his daughter. Robinson was fine with it when he was with us: 

https://www.glasgowworld.com/sport/football/international/trevor-carson-motherwell-goalkeeper-reveals-how-stephen-robinsons-superb-man-management-helped-persuade-him-to-stay-2916729

He didn't get the playing time with United on account of Siegrist sticking around and I guess there's a chance he could feel pretty scunnered if he's turned down the opportunity to move back closer to his family but Robinson convinced him to sign at Morecambe then fucked off a couple of weeks later.

He continued: “I have maybe been guilty of not doing the right thing off the pitch.

“On a Friday, I would travel down to get my daughter from Newcastle.

“It was something I decided to do when I moved to Motherwell.

“I am a family man first and foremost and I couldn’t let that go. That is maybe why and it has gone against me.

“Maybe, with hindsight, I would have focused on the football more but, for me, collecting my daughter was something I had to do to make that relationship work with her.

“It probably didn’t help that the first year I was doing it things went really well and I was linked with Celtic.

“I thought it wasn’t harming me but then there was the knee injury.

“They probably weren’t related to the drive but it is one of the things I’m not doing up here, I am going to move to the area.

“My partner is moving back to Newcastle because she is starting a new job. Monday to Friday I am going to be focused on training and then after a game on a Saturday I will go down the road for a couple of days and be a dad again.

“It gives me time to work hard and stay in the gym longer. You make your own luck and, hopefully, it will change if I am doing all the right things.”

Link

Yesterday's game was marred by Ronan's dismissal, which was justified. I do think we should have had a penalty, but playing Hearts with ten men was always going to be tough.

It was nice to see a good turn out yesterday, though. :)

4 minutes ago, Officer Michaels said:

Something needs done about the mental cow in W7. A complete embarrassment to the club.

That's a bit harsh, mate. I think I know the one you're talking about - she's just passionate. 

49 minutes ago, Officer Michaels said:

She’s a fucking buffoon.

Ach, that's what the footy's for! We can go along shout abuse at the ref, tell the opposition fans their town's a shithole and jump around uncontrollably when we score - and it's all socially acceptable. 

Pretty sure that lassie was nearly in tears after the late Livingston goal earlier in the season, though! 

1 hour ago, Officer Michaels said:

Freak.

You're a charmer. Plus got to wonder about someone who comes on here just to moan about a lassie at the football.

Edited by AlbionSaint

Are any of you Buds sitting near the centre of the main stand ?  When Hearts scored their first goal I was quite taken aback by Neilson's celebration towards St Mirren fans . Not a wind up more a get it up ya laughing his head off while punching the air multiple times.  I'm all for celebrating its part of football.  Just found it a bit strange where did that passion come from he got no abuse his way. 

Anyone else wanna do a review of the Handsome Jim era?

2019/20

Not appointed until the end of June, amidst typically self-induced Saints chaos, he seemed disinclined to go with Gus MacPherson's picks so recruitment went on pause till JGs targets started to arrive in late July by which time the League Cup had come and gone, a league season spent mostly in 10th spot and a reasonable cup run beating Well before going out to, erm, Aberdeen. Went into what turned out to be the last game of the domestic season against Hearts where a defeat would have left us bottom but Karma  & Handsome Jon's goal left us 9th - all in all a decent first season.

2020/21

Two S/Fs and 7th in the league was probably overall our best season this millenium but I can't help looking back with disappointment, leaving Livi in their comfort zone for too long before we started to seriously chase for an equalizer in the LC S/F, too many games that February probably cost us the Top6 slot which wasn't Jim's fault and you can't say anything else other than the Fakes were better on the day in other S/F - sadly close but no cigar.

2021/22

An uncharacteristicly efficient 4/4 wins in our LC section led to a last 16 tie against Livi which was, erm, characteristicly close but unsuccesful as we went out on pens. Our not quite firing league form before the break led to some grumbling about Jim's tactics although I don't recall anyone calling for him to be sacked. A good January window and some sparkling form in both the league and cup once we resumed playing led to Aberdeen luring him up north quicksharp

He certainly left us in a far better position than when he arrived and for me keeping us up in his first season will be his biggest legacy, when Jim left he was the longest serving manager at a top flight club and if rumours are to be believed we came out of the process with a hefty sum of cash, so he will certainly go into my list of successful Saints managers altho' not in the Top5.

Edited by btb

Saints not at the races yesterday sending off after 20min throw our tactics out the window. Makes the cup game more interesting  🤔  For handedness went to Nature Of India Moss Street. Food wise I would say excellent.  Ambience wise crap. On to The Old Sawn I'm in town for music Beatles cover band got this place jumping far to busy for me did not have a drink.  Nostalgic , visit took us to the The Club Bar .Moss Street place is busy my age group 60's and above. Not bad friendly and decent malts on offer. Onto the Bull meet the mate ( Don's season ticket holder utter daftness)  but hey hoo . Last venue of the night pulled off the icing on the cake. The Bungalow gig sold out. A 16 peace band guitars bass drums and a HUGE horn section had the audience up on their feet dancin . I'm writing this because the old town gave me and the wife a terrific night out.  Well done Paisley will now plan another. 

If anyone can be arsed, what were the most disappointing / downright bloody awful opening three games for a new St Mirren manager?

1. Waterlogged pitch call off.

2. Home 2-0 loss after being pish for twenty minutes and going down to ten men after only twenty-two.

3. Never mind, it’s Celtic away next.

😜

20 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Are any of you Buds sitting near the centre of the main stand ?  When Hearts scored their first goal I was quite taken aback by Neilson's celebration towards St Mirren fans . Not a wind up more a get it up ya laughing his head off while punching the air multiple times.  I'm all for celebrating its part of football.  Just found it a bit strange where did that passion come from he got no abuse his way. 

It's the Paisley connection , he was born and bred there. John Neilson School was founded by an ancestor. Plus we gave him it tight when he thought he was winning the play-off v Dundee Utd on pens !