The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

That’s a worry. Someone signs him at the death and we’ve no time to replace. 

Even worse if someone comes in for Ryan Strain 

True, but I expect us to have more depth this year.

See the need for a CB already with RT injured,  Kenny not listed today and Baccus injured meaning Goga needed in midfield... we shouldn't be at last resorts even before the season starts and players get suspensions.

Okay hopefully RT is back soon etc..

13 minutes ago, medals said:

True, but I expect us to have more depth this year.

See the need for a CB already with RT injured,  Kenny not listed today and Baccus injured meaning Goga needed in midfield... we shouldn't be at last resorts even before the season starts and players get suspensions.

Okay hopefully RT is back soon etc..

A dead leg. He'll likely sit out Monday and Tuesday but be back for next Sat.

6 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Stubbs and that fuckwit Josh Heaton making a monumental c**t of themselves on Twitter, probably put paid to any chance of either having any further career in the game. Having said that Heaton is possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen masquerading as a professional.

Fair enough my post was a bit OTT - i've just finished a run on N/S but just because  we won a watch on the Brophy deal it doesn't mean we should give it away on buying McMenamin for the reasons given a few pages back. 

We've heard a lot about how talented and how good Conor McMenamin is but in reality, we do need to be sensible here as we've seen clubs making this same mistake many times in the past.

Is he talented? Apparently so. Folk saying he's the best player by a distance in the Irish Premiership.

However - The Irish Premiership, without being disparaging is *barely* a full time league. It's the equivalent of the Scottish Championship/Upper league one. For comparison's sake, Andy Ryan is one of the best strikers in Northern Irish football. Andy Ryan on his best day, is a middle of the road championship level centre forward.

Given the speculated fee I still feel that I still think he has the potential  to be right up there in terms of bad signings although Josh Heaton is maybe out of reach.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

Bacus Out for upto 4 weeks.

That's a bit of bad news, the one thing I liked about the Bolton deal was that it was gonna be completed early in the window, the pessimist in me now fears a last day exit for Baccus with it being too late to get a quality replacement.

Edited by btb

5 minutes ago, btb said:

Fair enough my post was a bit OTT - i've just finished a run on N/S but just because  we won a watch on the Brophy deal it doesn't mean we should give it away on buying McMenamin for the reasons given a few pages back. 

Given the speculated fee I still feel that I still think he has the potential  to be right up there in terms of bad signings although Josh Heaton is maybe out of reach.

There’s a world of difference signing a player who is by a considerable distance the best player in that Irish league. He’s 27 with good experience and a current international player. I’d have to trust the management in their judgement of the player. 
There’s always a risk in any signing but this lad is light years away from the risk involved with the likes of any Stubbs type signing.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A dead leg. He'll likely sit out Monday and Tuesday but be back for next Sat.

Yeah of course some injuries are shorts term, and the squad is not complete yet.

Go a few games into the season, Dec has more back trouble, Dunne gets a 2 match ban, Fraser's bookings mean he misses a game sadly at the same time and it would be the perfect storm. 

Taylor and Goga the option but 1 of them gets booked early on and they are on thin ice. Kenny is then their cover. And we are then weaker in midfield.

We need more depth and it is coming. This is also why 2 more forwards are in the plan too.

20 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a world of difference signing a player who is by a considerable distance the best player in that Irish league. He’s 27 with good experience and a current international player. I’d have to trust the management in their judgement of the player. 
There’s always a risk in any signing but this lad is light years away from the risk involved with the likes of any Stubbs type signing.

OMG - I'm about to make a post sorta defending Stubbsy! :bag

The problem with Stubbsy's philosophy was that he "threw the baby out with the bathwater" in terms of destroying the morale of our 17/18 Championship winning team. If you look at the last two matches of his tenure (against Hertz & Livi) we started with 5 of his EPL Academy acquisitions which is 4 too many. That market is still a decent one for a club of our stature though - look at Thierry Small last season.

As an aside - Oran Kearney! :wub:  

Edited by btb

6 minutes ago, btb said:

The problem with Stubbsy's philosophy was that he "threw the baby out with the bathwater" in terms of destroying the morale of our 17/18 Championship winning team. If you look at the last two matches of his tenure (against Hertz & Livi) we started with 5 of his EPL Academy acquisitions which is 4 too many. That market is still a decent one for a club of our stature though - look at Thierry Small last season.

That's a very generous take on it. 

If we look at the careers of some of those players, the only one who has made any sort of name for himself is Alfie Jones, who is currently at Hull, but when he came to us he was just a kid who looked entirely out of his depth. King and Kpekewa are playing in the national league just now (a bit surprised by that, thought that would be above their level) while the infamous Heatons last club in the UK was in the 10th tier in England, and he hasn't been heard of since 2020. He'll probably be out on the pull tonight, claiming to be a footballer. Total fanny.

Nah, bottom line is Stubbs signings were just shite.

16 minutes ago, btb said:

I don't actually think that was Stubbs main failing with us. Out of all the signings Alfie Jones and Hayden Coulson clearly had ability, and they came from big teams academys. It was that he thought the way to succeed in the league was to fill the team with Athletes, big, tall, strong quick players who would run over the opposition. Guys like Kpekawa, NBM, Heaton, Cooke and Willock. The problem with that was that a) for a few of them their attitude was dreadful and b) they drastically lacked any football ability. 

Edited by Stan Bo

We don’t have time to discuss Stubbs & Jackson’s failings. The season starts in earnest in August. Personally, I’m quite happy to debate, from time to time, the upsides and downsides of Gus, or Goody, or any number of St Mirren managers. When it comes to Stubbs & Jackson, I am quite happy to never mention their names again. Thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We don’t have time to discuss Stubbs & Jackson’s failings. The season starts in earnest in August. Personally, I’m quite happy to debate, from time to time, the upsides and downsides of Gus, or Goody, or any number of St Mirren managers. When it comes to Stubbs & Jackson, I am quite happy to never mention their names again. Thank you very much.

SR might not have time to discuss Stubbsy's failure at our club but we forumsters certainly do.

However I'm signing off for now as I have to continue with my son's education - I 'm about to introduce him to The Godfather. 

Edited by btb

26 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Total fanny.

Nah, bottom line is Stubbs signings were just shite.

I believe he also made a howler of it at Hibs too. Look at where they went and what they did afterwards.

He was clueless.

The upside is SR, Foyle, directors and Co are so far doing a stellar job. i.e. 6th, money in for, is it 5 players,  and really good signings bar 1 so far.

A team that wins a loads more games than we've seen in this league that any of our others for how long?

Edited by medals