The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

It would be brilliant to have him for next season. Particularly if Baccus moves on as expected.

Having Kwon, Boyd-Munce and O'Hara as our three centre mids would be a very strong starting point.

It would also make sense for him to stay. He'll play every week, which will either help him get into Celtic's first team, the way the likes of Ryan Christie did, or give him a good chance of a decent move.

I did mention in January that I'm not keen on developing Rangers or Celtic players for them ahead of our own but we were in a position in January where needs must.

I'm throwing that all out the window here. Kwon is obviously a very, very talented player and still developing as his passing can be a wee bit rough on occasion still.  If we got Celtic to agree we can have him for next season, it would be an unreal but of business. I'm glad we are asking the question.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I did mention in January that I'm not keen on developing Rangers or Celtic players for them ahead of our own but we were in a position in January where needs must.

I'm throwing that all out the window here. Kwon is obviously a very, very talented player and still developing as his passing can be a wee bit rough on occasion still.  If we got Celtic to agree we can have him for next season, it would be an unreal but of business. I'm glad we are asking the question.

Great or not so great?

Good player and will improve himself and  most likely us if he stays for another season. 

However, it looks highly likely that were losing Baccus and losing a slot to develope our own player too and no sell on possibility in that slot.

Even if he left them could we ever afford his wages - I think not.

This is a thumbs up or down vote.

Always going to be squad churn, and we’re always going to be operating with a combination of contracted St Mirren players, youngsters breaking through, and loanees. Due to being away, Saturday was the first time I’ve seen Kwon play in the flesh. If we can get him on another season-long loan deal, gets my vote. He is an intellegent player who linked defence and attack really well, and his passing and movement was impressive. He looked every part like he was club captain and had been here for a lot longer, the way he carried himself. Personally, I couldn’t give a flying fcuk if he’s on loan from Celtic, The Rangers, Man City or Barcelona. He’s a good player and we aren’t competing with Celtic, The Rangers, or indeed Man City and Barcelona. Once more, the uglies are a hundred points over the horizon. Developing players for them? Don’t we send tons of our own guys out on loan to the Arbroaths & Co of our world? It’s a two-way street here. We are clearly getting a good player (with O’Hara and Strain out and Baccus’ fleeting appearances too?) Pretty good deal so far IMHO. Mon’ the Kwon. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, medals said:

Great or not so great?

Good player and will improve himself and  most likely us if he stays for another season. 

However, it looks highly likely that were losing Baccus and losing a slot to develope our own player too and no sell on possibility in that slot.

Even if he left them could we ever afford his wages - I think not.

This is a thumbs up or down vote.

Would be a no brainer IMO. We wouldn’t be able to afford a player of his quality outright so why not take advantage of a loan when as you say he improves us as a team.

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

Would be a no brainer IMO. We wouldn’t be able to afford a player of his quality outright so why not take advantage of a loan when as you say he improves us as a team.

I agree... I just think its one of those things that different fans will be divided on.

I'm not sure what the split would be either.

I'm happy so long as we don't have too many loanees filling the team.

30 minutes ago, medals said:

I agree... I just think its one of those things that different fans will be divided on.

I'm not sure what the split would be either.

I'm happy so long as we don't have too many loanees filling the team.

In the scheme of things it would be like a full signing with him leaving for nothing when the season ends. If we get him for next season that would be a season and a half with us. Strain and Baccus have been with us for 2 seasons and will leave for nothing. 

I think getting Kwon back would be a superb bit of business. The lad has talent and better than what we could get on a free transfer. 

Fingers crossed

Edited by AW saint

13 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

He scored the rebound from a penalty. Was it necessary for you to be so petty.

Yes.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I'm with this completely. I think he's a great player and one that would have been outwith our reach on a permanent deal. No disrepect to the boy, though Celtic are constantly in the market for players and he will be pushed further down the order, so he is doing the right thing. He hasn't needed to up sticks and move elsewhere too. He's able to travel from Glasgow.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Another product of our acclaimed woof system.

DE1A15E1-2CB1-45F8-8897-8778A320AE4E.jpeg

Reminds me of the good old days when you used to get random dugs running on to the park at Love Street.

Can still hear the chant now. “one Jackie Russell! There’s only one Jackie Russell!”

Good times good times.