The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure about McGinn, but did Thommo not really fancy the job at one point, too?

I thought he'd done his badges, etc, and the word on the street was he was a bit put out when Goodwin and Teale were made Tommy Craig's assistants.

Not that I think Thommo would necessarily be a good manager.

Would Thompson give up his lucrative media work. I'm guessing it is lucrative purely by the amount of appearances he makes!

For me, if we go for a seasoned head, I'd like to see a young assistant learning the ropes. The role model for that could be something like St Johnstone where Davidson seems to have come on well under Wright. Goodwin, if he wasn't already in a managerial position, Thompson or McGinn seem like the obvious ones. You know, "St Mirren minded", as it were.

Not sure about McGinn, but did Thommo not really fancy the job at one point, too?
I thought he'd done his badges, etc, and the word on the street was he was a bit put out when Goodwin and Teale were made Tommy Craig's assistants.
Not that I think Thommo would necessarily be a good manager.
Thommo definitely said in the press he fancied it (when he was still a player) but I've no idea if he actually applied for it when any of the Teale, Murray or Rae appointments were made.

I'm still not convinced he'll go.

Just like with Barnsley, the only real sources that are talking this up are the Scottish gutter press who, lets face it, have track record for flinging enough sh*te and hoping it sticks. Their modus operandi is to keep reporting on it until people believe it and then it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. The bookies will be basing their odds on the amount of press coverage the story is getting, but I genuinely don't believe he's the man they want. Obviously after speaking to St Mirren, they'll have had a chat with Jack but IMHO I don't think he's anywhere near being the leading candidate, especially looking at some of the other names being banded around who have a better knowledge of the English game.

As for the local press down there, apparently Ipswich want Simon Grayson and there's little to no mention of Jack's name at all, which again makes me think its anything but a done deal. He's proven to be an excellent manager, and has pulled the club back together but we all know he will go at some point, and best of luck to him when he does...but we need to  put an end to the speculation every time a job comes up in England. he's under contract to us, and I think Gordon Scott for the sake of the club needs to speak to Jack and get him to either commit to the club or say he wants to go and allow us to start looking for a replacement. I think that ST sales and potential signings are going to be affected by this constant rumour mill and something needs to be done.

Its make your mind up time Jack...stop the hokey-cokey, are you in or are you out?!

21 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

Just like with Barnsley, the only real sources that are talking this up are the Scottish gutter press who, lets face it, have track record for flinging enough sh*te and hoping it sticks. Their modus operandi is to keep reporting on it until people believe it and then it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. The bookies will be basing their odds on the amount of press coverage the story is getting, but I genuinely don't believe he's the man they want. Obviously after speaking to St Mirren, they'll have had a chat with Jack but IMHO I don't think he's anywhere near being the leading candidate, especially looking at some of the other names being banded around who have a better knowledge of the English game.

As for the local press down there, apparently Ipswich want Simon Grayson and there's little to no mention of Jack's name at all, which again makes me think its anything but a done deal. He's proven to be an excellent manager, and has pulled the club back together but we all know he will go at some point, and best of luck to him when he does...but we need to  put an end to the speculation every time a job comes up in England. he's under contract to us, and I think Gordon Scott for the sake of the club needs to speak to Jack and get him to either commit to the club or say he wants to go and allow us to start looking for a replacement. I think that ST sales and potential signings are going to be affected by this constant rumour mill and something needs to be done.

Its make your mind up time Jack...stop the hokey-cokey, are you in or are you out?!

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/jack-ross-now-odds-on-favourite-for-ipswich-town-manager-s-job-1-5521472

I don't think Thompson has any interest in coaching or management, certainly not at the moment. Think he said that in his interview with Robert Grieve when he announced he was retiring. Probably gets a fair wedge from Sportscene and the like and there's far less stress and pressure.

As I said yesterday, not bothered a jot about whether a guy is from Paisley or from a St Mirren supporting family. Davie Hay was form Paisley and that didn't exactly go well.

30 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

He is going Div has good contacts it' s about the next who will be manager that seems to be Robbie Neilson.  

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don't think Thompson has any interest in coaching or management, certainly not at the moment. Think he said that in his interview with Robert Grieve when he announced he was retiring. Probably gets a fair wedge from Sportscene and the like and there's far less stress and pressure.

As I said yesterday, not bothered a jot about whether a guy is from Paisley or from a St Mirren supporting family. Davie Hay was form Paisley and that didn't exactly go well.

Fergie was from a suburb of Paisley and that worked  :P Your right of course but it helps when they have an understanding of the club. 

40 minutes ago, madton said:

An article about the odds shortening...Wow! If only the bookies weren't right every time they predicted something?

This is the same news outlet that last night put out this following 'exclusive' article about Ipswich contacting Simon Grayson and both them and him being interested in the post. If I were the chairman at Ipswich and I were convinced I'd found the right manager in Jack Ross and that it was the 'done deal' that many are saying it is, then I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to contact other candidates that were't originally in for the post and had only recently become available.

Interesting also is the fact that so many people said that Barnsley was also a 'done deal' on here...until it's official I won't believe a word of it.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-contact-simon-grayson-regarding-managerial-vacancy-1-5518950

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Should he stay, or should he go now?
If he goes he'll burst our bubble.
If he stays, we'll win the double.

:whistle

Would have won the Double last Season if Jacko had treated the Challenge Cup with respect. 

Unfortunately, he was happy for our Team to lose a competitive match. 

31 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

An article about the odds shortening...Wow! If only the bookies weren't right every time they predicted something?

This is the same news outlet that last night put out this following 'exclusive' article about Ipswich contacting Simon Grayson and both them and him being interested in the post. If I were the chairman at Ipswich and I were convinced I'd found the right manager in Jack Ross and that it was the 'done deal' that many are saying it is, then I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to contact other candidates that were't originally in for the post and had only recently become available.

Interesting also is the fact that so many people said that Barnsley was also a 'done deal' on here...until it's official I won't believe a word of it.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-contact-simon-grayson-regarding-managerial-vacancy-1-5518950

You said there was no mention of Jack Ross in the local press down there, I am merely pointing out there clearly is!!

2 hours ago, JimmyMirren said:

22 minutes ago, madton said:

You said there was no mention of Jack Ross in the local press down there, I am merely pointing out there clearly is!!

See above...'little to no mention'. 

The article you posted was put on that website after my comment was posted, but prior to that there was one article in about 20 that even mentioned Jack. That paper seems to have linked everyone from Paul Hurst to my gran's dug to the job. Almost as bad as the Evening Telegraph for just posting sh*te to fill space...they'll be hiring Tom Duthie anyday now! :thumsup2

Edited by JimmyMirren