The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Was Donati at the club purely as a back up defender or was there another reason. Just thought considering how often he was involved it was a bit strange.

Back up seen him in the under 21's you could see there is life in him yet. Wants to get into football management.  Is he being mentioned for Morton ? 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Mine would be anyway. But I'd still hope and expect to survive given the new manager will have a full budget and can sign the players he sees fit. There's genuinely no-one out there in our price bracket that I feel could come in and have the same top to bottom impact on the club that Jack Ross did, though. There's no really outstanding talent in the lower leagues that any of us feel we *must* get. Goodwin has been mentioned in several circles but definitely not for me, at least not yet. He's taken Alloa up, granted but so did Darren Dodds last season with Brechin and no-one was battering down doors for him. Hopkin is just a no-go area for me, he's done well to get an industrial team playing industrial football but yeah....not for me.

I'm hoping there's a few left-field names out there that will prove interesting but for me Neilson ticks the boxes of the names mentioned so far. He's young enough that his reputation isn't completely shot to f**k. He's had a decent two seasons managing a Championship stoating team then going on to have a good year in the top flight and he's likely got decent contacts in the game.

He's not the dream candidate but then no-one is.

Suppose another nice scenario would be Alan Archibald if Thistle get rid. He's had a poor season but is certainly not a poor manager.

Even if by Sunday evening we are still a Premiership side, please do go in for Archie. He will do you a fantastic job.

It wouldn't have killed Ross to stay another year. 

Sending the fans into a joyful frenzy then booting them in the baws. 

Soured league win now. 

And memories of the Challenge Cup disgrace. 

Not forgetting the horrible legacy of giving that below average goalie an extended Contract. 

Has Ross gone yet ? 

Goodwin for me as new Manager. 

1 hour ago, shull said:

Soured league win now. 

And memories of the Challenge Cup disgrace. 

Not forgetting the horrible legacy of giving that below average goalie an extended Contract. 

Has Ross gone yet ? 

Goodwin for me as new Manager. 

I think Div should introduce some sort of sin bin to pie and bovril.

1 hour ago, shull said:

Soured league win now. 

Behave :lol:

Surely a man of your renowned financial prudence would appreciate how hard it'd be to turn down this offer?

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Behave :lol:

Surely a man of your renowned financial prudence would appreciate how hard it'd be to turn down this offer?

shull's so desperate for him to leave he'd probably drive him to Ipswich himself. For a fee, of course.

It looks like it will be a fantasy now but I'd love to have seen what Jack Ross could have achieved in the top flight.

The obvious worry is he had the ability to convince guys like McGinn, Davis and Cammy Smith to play at a level clearly below them. Hopefully the new guy has that pull too but managers like that are rare.

I fully expect Ipswich to be a Premiership club in the next 2-3 years.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It looks like it will be a fantasy now but I'd love to have seen what Jack Ross could have achieved in the top flight.

The obvious worry is he had the ability to convince guys like McGinn, Davis and Cammy Smith to play at a level clearly below them. Hopefully the new guy has that pull too but managers like that are rare.

I fully expect Ipswich to be a Premiership club in the next 2-3 years.

I don't think any of the 3 players you mentioned could now play at English championship level. 

I don't think any of the 3 players you mentioned could now play at English championship level. 

I meant he had the ability to convince them to play in our Championship, when they were probably too good. He could have convinced players too good for us to come and play for StMirren because of his reputation and ideas.

If i have been wooshed i apologise [emoji23].

A lot of my judgements are just based on their fans output, and they are a bizarre bunch. Zeefuik just looked a flat track bully who physically dominated centre halves, and who'd have struggled against more complete defenders in the top flight. 
Regardless, managers do well some places and fail others, it'll be interesting to see how Neilson gets on if it is him. 
Would expectations be lower with him than Ross? 
I think the fans expectations generally will be lower but I don't get the impression GLS would be looking for anything less in his recruitment.

Out of interest, does McGinn have any coaching badges? He's only 29 so it's not like it's time for him to hang up his boots, but he is the sort of player who has such an affinity to the club that I'd like to see him streamlined into possible future management.

All depending, of course, if he fancies it.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Out of interest, does McGinn have any coaching badges? He's only 29 so it's not like it's time for him to hang up his boots, but he is the sort of player who has such an affinity to the club that I'd like to see him streamlined into possible future management.

All depending, of course, if he fancies it.

Not sure about McGinn, but did Thommo not really fancy the job at one point, too?

I thought he'd done his badges, etc, and the word on the street was he was a bit put out when Goodwin and Teale were made Tommy Craig's assistants.

Not that I think Thommo would necessarily be a good manager.