The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats right, it should be possible to prevent employees changing jobs when they already have one. Just  selfish entertaining a better job offer when you already have one.

I take the point you are making, but the fly in the ointment is the player window. There are all sorts of problems around introducing a manager window but I would like to see some protection for clubs who find themselves in the situation of losing their manager after they've brought a load of players in. What that protection could be? Who knows.

The season isn't quite finished yet (Livi/Partick) and the window isn't open so that isn't a concern for us just now, but if Ipswich decide against Ross and another club pops up in a month or two's time then it could cause us all sorts of problems.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

:lol:

Thats right, it should be possible to prevent employees changing jobs when they already have one. Just  selfish entertaining a better job offer when you already have one.

You ever heard of a Gentleman's Agreement? Anyway you should be more concerned with Championship matters rather Premiership ones. 

:lol:

I realize this was a very tongue in cheek post but if any of us went into work tomorrow and asked for time off so we could go and do interviews or gave our employers the impression we were only here until something better came along then it would be problematic. 

Jack is quite right to try and maximize his current high profile but at some point the club will lose patience as will the fans and quite rightly so.

It’s not his fault that his job hunting is being played out in public, as most of us would be doing this behind our employers backs but it is and he will need to be cognizant of this.

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I take the point you are making, but the fly in the ointment is the player window. There are all sorts of problems around introducing a manager window but I would like to see some protection for clubs who find themselves in the situation of losing their manager after they've brought a load of players in. What that protection could be? Who knows.

The season isn't quite finished yet (Livi/Partick) and the window isn't open so that isn't a concern for us just now, but if Ipswich decide against Ross and another club pops up in a month or two's time then it could cause us all sorts of problems.

None of this seemed to bother any of you much when you took Alloa's manager mid season though did it? 

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

None of this seemed to bother any of you much when you took Alloa's manager mid season though did it? 

Whatabootery isn't really the answer though, is it? Of course we are going to take advantage of the rules (or lack of them) as everyone else will be as well.

Scottish clubs could go down the DoF/Head Coach route, that way the DoF buys players for the club, not the manager. Hopefully keeping some consistency rather than needing to change a team every time a new manager comes in. Obviously a new manager will want their own players but they'd be walking into an already existing system rather than implementing their own.

What, if anything, can be done is the real problem. You could say before the player transfer window was introduced, everyone assumed that was just the way things worked, and since then people have accepted those changes. Could a manager window also be brought in? I'm not sure. Am I arguing for a manager window? No, not really, just putting it out as one way to minimise the upheaval of losing a manager at a really awkward time.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Whatabootery isn't really the answer though, is it? Of course we are going to take advantage of the rules (or lack of them) as everyone else will be as well.

Scottish clubs could go down the DoF/Head Coach route, that way the DoF buys players for the club, not the manager. Hopefully keeping some consistency rather than needing to change a team every time a new manager comes in. Obviously a new manager will want their own players but they'd be walking into an already existing system rather than implementing their own.

What, if anything, can be done is the real problem. You could say before the player transfer window was introduced, everyone assumed that was just the way things worked, and since then people have accepted those changes. Could a manager window also be brought in? I'm not sure. Am I arguing for a manager window? No, not really, just putting it out as one way to minimise the upheaval of losing a manager at a really awkward time.

This is not an awkward time to lose a manager, its about two or three full months until the league starts FFS

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is not an awkward time to lose a manager, its about two or three full months until the league starts FFS

Do keep up...

5 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The season isn't quite finished yet (Livi/Partick) and the window isn't open so that isn't a concern for us just now.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Try telling this to the fuckwits on Twitter who are losing their shit because the managerial uncertainty means we might miss out on world class players such as Tom O'Ware.

29 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Call it whataboutery all you like but its a fact. Bigger clubs will always hire managers who have done well at smaller clubs. As it was when we lost Jim McIntyre to Ross County and Allan Johnston to Kilmarnock. And as it was when St Mirren took Ross from Alloa and will be if Ipswich take him away. There is never a good time to be losing a manager but if there was a window (not a concept I agree with) you would pretty much be in it now anyway likely. The period immediately before a player window opens seems to me to the obvious time for it.

In any event, I appreciate its a pain in the backside when your manager is publicly courted from above, particularly if it drags on a bit, but the amount of knicker wetting from some posters on this thread is ridiculous given the same posters didnt utter a word when the shoe was on the other foot.

Call it whataboutery all you like but its a fact.

I called it whatabootery because it was - "This is not a good situation" // "Ah, but what about the time..."

...you would pretty much be in it now anyway likely. The period immediately before a player window opens seems to me to the obvious time for it.

And that is a fair point. The example I gave was one where Ipswich decided against Ross and another club comes chasing him later on in the window.

In any event, I appreciate its a pain in the backside when your manager is publicly courted from above, particularly if it drags on a bit, but the amount of knicker wetting from some posters on this thread is ridiculous given the same posters didnt utter a word when the shoe was on the other foot.

I was more musing about what can be done to minimise the upheaval and on a general scale rather than just specifically about us. I'm already on record as saying that some job offers, with the opportunity for Ross to see how other clubs are setup and run, could be beneficial if he remains with us. You could probably argue that there has been some negative effect, albeit somewhat negligible.

The halfwit claims B&W is readable again [emoji15]

It would be a lot more readable if a certain poster didn’t feel the need to reply to every single post and start ridiculous threads every day.

Jack Ross has held talks with Sunderland's new owners as the Black Cats prepare to vie with Ipswich for the St Mirren manager. Ross, who guided the Buddies to Scottish Premiership promotion this year, has already held talks with Ipswich. (Daily Record, print edition)

53 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Jack Ross has held talks with Sunderland's new owners as the Black Cats prepare to vie with Ipswich for the St Mirren manager. Ross, who guided the Buddies to Scottish Premiership promotion this year, has already held talks with Ipswich. (Daily Record, print edition)

Sunderland is an interesting position now, as they've dropped into League 1. McInnes not taking over while they were plummeting made sense. Now that they had dropped, there will naturally be the pressure of getting them back up, but the size and resources of the club will make them the biggest club in the league. It's got "rebuild job" written all over it, and the person who'll reap the rewards is the person who takes over as they "flatten out", That time might be now.

Potential, we know Sunderland has it, timing.... that's the real art.

Edited by Buddist Monk

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sunderland is an interesting position now, as they've dropped into League 1. McInnes not taking over while they were plummeting made sense. Now that they had dropped, there will naturally be the pressure of getting them back up, but the size and resources of the club will make them the biggest club in the league. It's got "rebuild job" written all over it, and the person who'll reap the rewards is the person who takes over as they "flatten out", That time might be now.

Potential, we know Sunderland has it, timing.... that's the real art.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Surely they've bottomed out now... you'd imagine. If a manager can clear out the rancid squad, get them playing attacking football again, the 40k+ crowds will be right behind them. I read something about Coventry the other day, saying this season was the first time they'd finished in the top six of any division since about 1971. Can you imagine what that would do to a fanbase. Fucking agony, for years. They'd take any success they can get - and came out in tens of thousands for one of those micky mouse trophies at Wembley last season. Same for Sunderland: if a manager can get Sunderland at the right end of League One, they won't care that it's not the Premiership - they'll get right behind him.

It's fixing the club off the pitch that's the first job and the hardest part. Very similar job to the one Jack took on at Saints, but much, much bigger and much harder.

Any manager in Scotland outside of Rogers, possibly McInnes and presumably Gerrard (who is only just here) would and should take the Sunderland job if it was offered now. I know they need rebuilt from the bottom up but if you can't do it being twice the size of any other club in the division and building momentum then you shouldn't be in management. I understand why McInnes not taking it when relegation was imminent was possibly the right move but now surely they can't get any worse.

If Ross happened to have both Ipswich and Sunderland offered to him at the same time, I would take Sunderland. It has far more potential.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I hear it was an informal chat at the airport JR had with someone representing Sunderland. He’s obviously going to get an offer at some point, he might as well take advantage of his stock being pretty much at a high point. Good luck to him I hope it happens soon.