The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

53 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I think it is, but time will tell.  :angel

I would love to be a journalist at the press conference.  So Mr Neilson what are your expectations now you know the budget?  Anyway of all the candidates he is the best time will tell if the board think the same. 

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

I would love to be a journalist at the press conference.  So Mr Neilson what are your expectations now you know the budget?  Anyway of all the candidates he is the best time will tell if the board think the same. 

I'm sure he'll be as frank with them as he was on Off The Ball. He'll be told the expectations and his answer will be diplomatic on that point. I don't think he'd take the job if the budget doesn't allow us to be relatively competitive with other teams in the bottom six. It's then up to him to work with that budget to bring in the players he thinks can help us compete and win games.

I'll be honest, other than for the money, I don't see that as much of a step up. He probably would have done better with another year at Morton.
Always hard to tell with relegated clubs from the Prem, it's rare for a club to bounce straight back up but you'd have to assume they have a better shot at promotion than Morton.

Even an extra 150-200 quid a week at this level makes a big difference.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

Always hard to tell with relegated clubs from the Prem, it's rare for a club to bounce straight back up but you'd have to assume they have a better shot at promotion than Morton.

Even an extra 150-200 quid a week at this level makes a big difference.

Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble but then so is every transfer. Thistle are the larger and more financially stable club, but we all know what sorts of shenanigans go on when a club drops through the trap door. It's not like it hasn't happened to us.

Obviously the amount of money we are talking at this level I can understand fully why O'Ware took up the option.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Thistle...we all know what sorts of shenanigans go on when a club drops through the trap door. It's not like it hasn't happened to us.

What, get relegated from the top flight and 2nd tier in successive seasons? That has only happened to two clubs, the other was Saint something but wasn't us.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

What, get relegated from the top flight and 2nd tier in successive seasons? That has only happened to two clubs, the other was Saint something but wasn't us.

I wasn't necessarily meaning the double drop, more just post relegation malaise and how that permeates throughout the club from top to bottom.

However, could I congratulate that club that is called Saint something (but wasn't us) for their sterling addition to Scottish football's "point and laugh" category.

35 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Welcome back, wee saints. Enjoy your year in the big time. 

Obviously this seasons gonna be a white knuckle ride (especially given the managerial situation) but we managed 8 seasons last time before we picked Tommy Craig - I'd say all the Bottom 6 teams are only a coupla bad decisions away from relegation.