The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

What's this gibberish? Pledge i£18K to whom and for what?

Dundee's offer which got rejected was sufficient to activate a clause that allowed talks. It doesn't mean anything has been sorted but it's at a serious stage.

This is why it's at a level where assistant managers are being discussed and our own managing director has flown to meet Ross in person and spoke about money without accusation of tapping up from the St Mirren board.

11 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Dundee's offer which got rejected was sufficient to activate a clause that allowed talks. It doesn't mean anything has been sorted but it's at a serious stage.

This is why it's at a level where assistant managers are being discussed and our own managing director has flown to meet Ross in person and spoke about money without accusation of tapping up from the St Mirren board.

So wait, you paid £18k just to interview him? No wonder you go into adminstration so fucking often! :lol:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Before you consider backing me at even money, consider the following:

IMG-20161217-WA0027.jpg.dddbcc66be2b74015323d2e54b62355c.jpg.3c9af5bad725859e4a5606aa2887efab.jpg

Look at the rather rotund gentleman in blue, having a hearty belly laugh at Ian McCall celebrating a 1-1 draw at St. Mirren Park. Look at those around me losing their collective marbles including BuddieInDundee's missus beside me (well, not really but she does look Dundonian) :P

Do I look like a heads gone type of chap? A bit of a fat fucker aye but I'm positively jolly.

NOW GET MA FUCKING ODDS DRIFTING CUNTOOOOOO!!!!

WTF is that behind you?

image.png

Just now, harry94 said:

No - we never paid anything. The offer was rejected but making it allowed us to talk.

Right....so what would the point of such a redundant clause be, given that if it's rejected and you talk, then the fee will need to be negotiated all over again?

I'm not bullshitting you completely, I'm just asking what possible purpose such a clause would serve.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

No - we never paid anything. The offer was rejected but making it allowed us to talk.

You genuinely believe a clause like that has ever existed? Why would St Mirren ever agree to a "clause" which utterly c***s their negotiating position for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

"We value you and your contract at £100k Jack, so teams will have to offer that to be able to speak to you"

"Nah, if a team offers £18k they get to agree a contract with me and force your hand"

"Yes, we'll allow you to agree to join a different club before we negotiate a price with them, thats great business sense"

Right....so what would the point of such a redundant clause be, given that if it's rejected and you talk, then the fee will need to be negotiated all over again?
I'm not bullshitting you completely, I'm just asking what possible purpose such a clause would serve.

I imagine it's at the behest of the manager so they have some sort of power. It doesn't necessarily penalise the club in theory but it's leverage that Ross can have.

There are a few examples of managers having approaches rejected by their board but then resigning and taking the job (prompting legal battle of some kind) which they wouldn't do without any guarantee so that would suggest it's convention. McKinnon seemed to go in a similar way last year IIRC.

This is the talk of our local journalists and their story does seem to add up with Nelms on route and is consistent with other reporting which gives detail on some specifics.

You genuinely believe a clause like that has ever existed? Why would St Mirren ever agree to a "clause" which utterly c***s their negotiating position for absolutely no reason whatsoever?
"We value you and your contract at £100k Jack, so teams will have to offer that to be able to speak to you"
"Nah, if a team offers £18k they get to agree a contract with me and force your hand"
"Yes, we'll allow you to agree to join a different club before we negotiate a price with them, thats great business sense"

Why don't clubs get sued for tapping managers up when rejections are publicly given but they are blatantly in personal talks? It happens all the time.

Just now, harry94 said:

Why don't clubs get sued for tapping managers up when rejections are publicly given but they are blatantly in personal talks? It happens all the time.

Because its all done by agents, not chairmen turning up at managers hotels and accosting them in the pool.

Its a completely mental story concocted by a group of journalists who have a swathe of history in this sort of thing, as they know fine well that fans of the Dundee clubs are utterly desperate for any news surrounding them. Its virtually identical to how the "Dundee journalists" pumped out rumour after rumour about Tommy Wright joining United, there was five different stories of release clauses and TW talking to Thompson within days of each other, despite our chairman repeatedly saying it was never happening. 

Dundee journalists have nothing to report on + Newsworthy story about Dundee club = Journalists all frantically making up stories to appear ITK so Dundee fans watch their site/twitters in hope of news.

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I imagine it's at the behest of the manager so they have some sort of power. It doesn't necessarily penalise the club in theory but it's leverage that Ross can have.

There are a few examples of managers having approaches rejected by their board but then resigning and taking the job (prompting legal battle of some kind) which they wouldn't do without any guarantee so that would suggest it's convention. McKinnon seemed to go in a similar way last year IIRC.

This is the talk of our local journalists and their story does seem to add up with Nelms on route and is consistent with other reporting which gives detail on some specifics.

There's absolutely no chance we'd give an inexperienced, untried gaffer leverage or bargaining power in case he turned out to be a gem. Jack Ross, negotating from part-time club to full-time would have been in no position to demand this during his contract negotiation.

Unfortunately, the more likely scenario - if the flying out to Spain thing is remotely true - is that Nelms simply doesn't understand what he has allegedly done is in direct violation of SFA rules and could potentially get himself and his club in a wee bit of trouble if St. Mirren decide it's worth our while pursuing.

Edited by djchapsticks

There's absolutely no chance we'd give an inexperienced, untried gaffer leverage or bargaining power in case he turned out to be a gem. Jack Ross, negotating from part-time club to full-time would have been in no position to demand this during his contract negotiation.
Unfortunately, the more likely scenario - if the flying out to Spain thing is remotely true - is that Nelms simply doesn't understand what he has allegedly done is in direct violation of SFA rules and could potentially get himself and his club in a wee bit of trouble if St. Mirren decide it's worth our while pursuing.

This rule has been brought up already [emoji23].

IMG_1496267081.826801.jpg

Crazy stuff this. Wish this was a run of the mill quiet pre-season.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely you would just speak to his agent. Much quicker than flying a few hundred miles surely.

You would imagine. And a lot more subtle, under the table and discreet than jumping on a plane to meet the manager of the club that rejected your permission to speak only a fe hours earlier.

I don't think the journalists in Dundee are very bright as they don't seem to realise that if, by some mental twist, this is true (which I don't think it is - no c**t is that daft surely) and Nelms has fucked off to Spain to talk directly to Jack Ross, then they've potentially gotten Nelms and his club in a bit of bother by reporting it.

Because its all done by agents, not chairmen turning up at managers hotels and accosting them in the pool.
Its a completely mental story concocted by a group of journalists who have a swathe of history in this sort of thing, as they know fine well that fans of the Dundee clubs are utterly desperate for any news surrounding them. Its virtually identical to how the "Dundee journalists" pumped out rumour after rumour about Tommy Wright joining United, there was five different stories of release clauses and TW talking to Thompson within days of each other, despite our chairman repeatedly saying it was never happening. 
Dundee journalists have nothing to report on + Newsworthy story about Dundee club = Journalists all frantically making up stories to appear ITK so Dundee fans watch their site/twitters in hope of news.

The journalist in question is a childhood friend. It's possible he's been blinded by his superiors but I have no reason to doubt any of it based on character. For what it's worth, DC Thompson were causing all sorts of trouble and pissing off our base with their inconvenient truth about Hemmings contract last year.

The way it was explained to me, it's fairly standard practice and something that finds its way into a lot of contracts these days. Ross has jumped ship quickly from Alloa and taken on what could have been quite a difficult job so I see no reason that they would have constrained him that much and omit this if this actually is what goes on.

I'm not taking the piss or trying to wind up. I accept that the Dundee job might not be the most appealing (depending on what is being said behind closed doors) but multiple sources suggest that we're talking and he is listening. St Mirren have not said anything to contradict that which would have been fairly easy to do.

You love this phrase 'pumped out rumour after rumour'.

There's only one thing certain, you're pumping nothing.

Nelms isn't a simple American Soccer moron. He is quite an astute guy who spends a lot of time dealing with legal stuff in tedious stadium & training ground planning so I'd be surprised for ignorance on that magnitude. It's also quite public which would make a warning call from colleagues pretty easy to prevent an accidental breach.

It could be that he's maybe going over to stay close by but the stuff about John Potter and financial guarantees seem to suggest more is happening.