The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

..and to continue this season. I reckon you'll be lucky to avoid the relegation battle. More so when Wright moves after getting annoyed at working with buttons.

When did Killie get punted down to the lower leagues? Not recently. Anyway, you'd hardly call them a "big team". Sure they are top league regulars but don't have the spending power of the Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow clubs.

I know you’ve been in the lower leagues for a couple of seasons, but up here in the Premiership there’s this thing called #TB4...

35 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Just musing here, but do you feel that Aberdeen's performance against Burnley (and the pretty decent atmosphere at Pittodrie) might help us with loan players from down South?

I don't know that it'd help us in any specific way, but anything that helps improve the standing of the Scottish game overall will be a good thing, so we may get some small benefit from that - but no more so than any other side up here.

Edited by Coventry Saint

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't know that it'd help us in any specific way, but anything that helps improve the standing of the Scottish game overall will be a good thing, so we may get some small benefit from that - but no more so than any other side up here.

Oh, sure, I wasn't suggesting it would be us alone. I just wonder if the game against Burnley and I suppose the Celtic's game against Rosenberg would have maybe helped promote the league a little (as you say) which could swing things like Hornby choosing to come on loan to us. Not convinced him, I'm not suggesting it would be that strong an effect, but perhaps it's enough to pique his interest.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Oh, sure, I wasn't suggesting it would be us alone. I just wonder if the game against Burnley and I suppose the Celtic's game against Rosenberg would have maybe helped promote the league a little (as you say) which could swing things like Hornby choosing to come on loan to us. Not convinced him, I'm not suggesting it would be that strong an effect, but perhaps it's enough to pique his interest.

Yeah, I think that's totally fair. If, say, he (or any other player) is weighing up whether to come to us, or a cosier, closer-to-home option (such as Preston :whistle ) then any positive exposure the game can get here may help.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say we're desperately in need of at least one natural wide player. 

So long as that isn't based on the Dumbarton game as he specifically set us up very narrow. Which, I'm sure you knew anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

We need a winger with some pace so no harm in having a look at him in training.

Is Flynn still counted as a winger these days? He certainly doesn't have the pace he once had, the same could be said for Humphries too though.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

So long as that isn't based on the Dumbarton game as he specifically set us up very narrow. Which, I'm sure you knew anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

He also said post match that it was a system he's keen to try but doesn't want it to be our only formation. 

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Is Flynn still counted as a winger these days? He certainly doesn't have the pace he once had, the same could be said for Humphries too though.

Flynn doesn’t have any pace, that’s part of the problem we have, now that Morgan has gone.

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Flynn doesn’t have any pace, that’s part of the problem we have, now that Morgan has gone.

Sure, it was more whether he'd still be considered a winger.

Humphries must be on the "wrong side" of 30 by now, does he still retain his pace?

31 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sure, it was more whether he'd still be considered a winger.

Humphries must be on the "wrong side" of 30 by now, does he still retain his pace?

Humphrey is 30 years old and his last club was Bury. I’ve got no idea if he still retains the pace he once displayed while at Motherwell. 

Ceetainly looked a decent player when he played for Well.

21 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Liam Smith any good boys? Been linked with a loan move to us. 

We'd take him as a full signing, without hesitation. Great full back, scored a couple important goals too. 

One hell of a signing for you guys if it happens.

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Liam Smith any good boys? Been linked with a loan move to us. 

He’s a cracking player, and one that we all wanted back this season, but we signed Paul McGinn for the right back slot.

Attacking wise he was immense for us and even managed to score a couple of superb goals from distance. He would be a massive asset to any Championship side.

No harm intended to Ayr but that would be a genuine kick in the balls if Liam Smith went back out on loan to any championship side as he'd walk into most teams in the lower half of the Premier League, ours included.

I've hoped we'd go all out to get him back this season but it doesn't look like Stubbs is really interested.