The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Stubbs making a point in his press conference to say that Mckenzie and Eckersley are both injured, he would love to be able to play them but can’t. Surely the obvious next question is, are they part of your plans or are they still free to find a new club? Would he just love to play them till he can bring in replacements?

I think the last part of what you said is closer to the truth. If both are fit then they’ll get a game until suitable replacements are signed.

10 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sitting 2nd in the group, not lost a game and in line to qualify for the next round. Yeah, it's been fucking terrible. I can only dream of getting back to last season where we got hounded by both Thistle and Livi.

In line to qualify for the next round? I highly doubt it. You've failed to beat any of the Group H diddy teams within 90 minutes. Even if you beat Dumbarton (which is looking like an increasingly unlikely scenario), I'd be surprised if you managed to pick up enough points to qualify as one of the best second-place teams. 

37 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I couldn’t give two fucks about the league cup. I’m only interested in Stubbs signing players of sufficient quality in order for us to compete in the league campaign. 

Could not agree more

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I couldn’t give two fucks about the league cup. I’m only interested in Stubbs signing players of sufficient quality in order for us to compete in the league campaign. 

Bet you weren’t saying that on the mornings of the Deadco final in 2010 and Hearts final in 2013. Clubs like St Mirren should give a fcuk about the League and Scottish Cups, every season they give us our two shots at glory. I have now seen us lift both domestic cups, and both days have given me lifetime memories.

However.... the way the League Cup is now? Pre-season effectively. With Bolton blowing us out we went into a major cup competition without a prior first team match? Being played mid-July? With a half-built squad?

Must admit, I now find it difficult to give a fcuk about this b*****dised League Cup group stage pish. I understand what they’re trying to do with it, but in my opinion it is a load of bollocks. Thank Christ we won it in 2013. The chances of doing it again (under this format) are on a par with the chances of me being picked for the European Ryder Cup team and getting a shag aff’ Kylie Minogue.

8 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

This is the stage at which I was planning to say, ''But he DID say that he'd be seen ALIVE in a St. Mirren shirt.'' 

However, Buddist Monk quickly pre-empted that particular joke. The humour would feel far too forced if I implemented it now. It's a bit of a shame because it would have been a really amusing moment.

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Bet you weren’t saying that on the mornings of the Deadco final in 2010 and Hearts final in 2013. Clubs like St Mirren should give a fcuk about the League and Scottish Cups, every season they give us our two shots at glory. I have now seen us lift both domestic cups, and both days have given me lifetime memories.

Completely agree, but in all three examples there, we were an established top flight team.

I can't remember reaching a final in 2010, so will take your word for it, but we'd been up for four years then. Seven in 2013. 

While it's dismissive to say you don't give a f**k about the cups, they pale next to priority that is not getting papped straight back down again.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Completely agree, but in all three examples there, we were an established top flight team.

I can't remember reaching a final in 2010, so will take your word for it, but we'd been up for four years then. Seven in 2013. 

While it's dismissive to say you don't give a f**k about the cups, they pale next to priority that is not getting papped straight back down again.

:lol:

Me neither. 

12 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I see. I suspect we'll see a post from you along the lines of "Championship is a far more exciting league anyway/rather be involved in a title race than dossing about the bottom half" when you're ten points adrift by Christmas. 

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

However.... the way the League Cup is now? Pre-season effectively. With Bolton blowing us out we went into a major cup competition without a prior first team match? Being played mid-July? With a half-built squad?

It starts two weeks earlier than it used to, and this is the third season of it starting on this date. You should maybe look closer at home when you're mewing about how you've no squad, and haven't played any friendlies, before it started, as even part time sides managed to get multiple games in beforehand. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can't remember reaching a final in 2010...

I remember us beating East Stirlingshire in the very first round and Hearts in the semi, but I can't remember us playing against Motherwell or Killie, so much so that I had to look that up!

The final, though, I would love to erase that from my memory. Not least because I was seated right next to the segregation and it was nothing more than some plastic tape and a couple of (clearly) Rangers supporting stewards. :(

Anyway, onto Willock. If he was good enough to play for the fakes last season then I guess he's good enough for us. We played well against Killie in a 4-3-3 and I've a feeling that's the formation Stubbs favours - you'll need to check with the Hibs fans as to the formation he played them - and if that is the case are we looking at a central 3 in the midfield of McGinn holding and Magennis and Willock pushing on? This would free up Flynn to go out wider in one of the 'front' three. He was a winger before, and I'm not convinced he's got the pace to play the position all season, but he had a decent enough delivery last season so let's hope if played there he can replicate that.

You then have Smith and/or King playing on the wing. Not Smith's best position but in this formation there isn't room for a #10 behind the striker role. King has looked lively the couple of times I've seen him and I want to see more of him. Finally, up front, we have Mullen or Cooke. I've not seen enough of Cooke to know just what he offers other than height. We aren't scoring goals but then we just haven't been consistent across the park to provide the service needed for either front man.

Finally the defence, which I would presume would continue with McGinn, Baird, Heaton/Kpekawa(?) and Coulson. The latter is clearly not an out and out LB but then this is basically making the players fit a formation. We could swap to a 3 or 5 at the back but when a team is still coming together I much prefer a back 4. The question for me is who is going to run that defence? Baird has never struck me as being an imposing figure that will lead the line. As junior to a more senior and vocal player (MacKenzie or Davis for example) he has worked well however we now have 3 central defenders in their early 20s. Will Baird step up and take charge. He could do, and perhaps this is the season for him to push his game on.

Finally the keeper. Got to say I'm glad Samson has kept the gloves rather than being dropped for Rodgers if only as reward for his sterling efforts last season. He has his faults and I'm sure we'll see Rodgers between the sticks soon enough, he is dependable and you know what you get with Samson.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I see. I suspect we'll see a post from you along the lines of "Championship is a far more exciting league anyway/rather be involved in a title race than dossing about the bottom half" when you're ten points adrift by Christmas. 

It starts two weeks earlier than it used to, and this is the third season of it starting on this date. You should maybe look closer at home when you're mewing about how you've no squad, and haven't played any friendlies, before it started, as even part time sides managed to get multiple games in beforehand. 

Stevie Clarke at Killie had a mump of his gums about the League Cup prior to playing us in it too. Agree though that St Mirren going into that Killie game with a half-built squad and no prior friendlies is pure and simple oor’ ain’ fault... squad broken up by Ross leaving and Stubbs coming in, and a lack of fixtures. That’s all down to ourselves as a club.

Maybe we’ll head into next season’s mid-July League Cup group stage shite in a slightly more settled manner as a club.

My own opinion happens to be that this very early group stage affair is pish. Pish for many clubs who have two shots at glory every season. Aberdeen even, were delighted when they broke a trophy drought and won it a while back. I just think the two cup competitions shouldn’t see some clubs have to play twice the amount of fixtures as some others.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What part of a simple post did you fail to understand ? The reason I don’t care about this cup competition is because we are basically out of the running to qualify. We’re also miles off the pace and my main concern is for the new manager to prioritise recruitment of new players, while he continues to try and gel the team together in what effectively amounts to pre season games. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Stevie Clarke at Killie had a mump of his gums about the League Cup prior to playing us in it too. Agree though that St Mirren going into that Killie game with a half-built squad and no prior friendlies is pure and simple oor’ ain’ fault... squad broken up by Ross leaving and Stubbs coming in, and a lack of fixtures. That’s all down to ourselves as a club.

Maybe we’ll head into next season’s mid-July League Cup group stage shite in a slightly more settled manner as a club.

My own opinion happens to be that this very early group stage affair is pish. Pish for many clubs who have two shots at glory every season. Aberdeen even, were delighted when they broke a trophy drought and won it a while back. I just think the two cup competitions shouldn’t see some clubs have to play twice the amount of fixtures as some others.

In the previous straightforward knockout version of the League Cup, teams from Championship and lower played a round or two before the premier(ship) teams came in. The first round was the first weekend of August, so you could play one match and be out very early as well, and just a couple of weeks later than the current format.

Regarding the top 4 playing less games, it would be asking a lot for them to play a European qualifier on the Thursday, then Betfred cup matches on the weekend and following Tuesday. It's supposed to help our teams get further in Europe, so I'm ok with that.  I  like having the group stages having no OF in it hogging all the media limelight; when you listen to radio coverage or read about the Betfred Cup, the coverage is far more fairly spread. I like the fact one week QOS are the main headline, the next matchday it's Arbroath etc, and it's based on footballing performance, not how many mouthbreathing bigots want to read the same shite every week.

St Mirren were a wee bit unlucky getting probably the top seeds in their group, but then having got 2 points off them in the opening match, you really should have been able to take care of Spartans and Queens Park, early in the season or not. I agree with RG, I think your frustrations should be with your team not building on a good opening performance, not the format of the Cup.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

St Mirren were a wee bit unlucky getting probably the top seeds in their group, but then having got 2 points off them in the opening match, you really should have been able to take care of Spartans and Queens Park, early in the season or not.

This.

My main issue is not necessarily the messy pre-season or the format of the LC but more that we put in a decent shift against Killie, even when nobody expected it, then threw all that good work away by our performances against QP and Spartans. If players were capable of combining well enough to see off (just) a Premiership team then where the f**k did that go against much much weaker sides.