The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Whatever is going on, Stubbs has come in and within 2 months has managed to create arguments and divisions in what was a fairly close knit squad.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Can I ask why there is such a clamour for Eckersley to be back in the team? I've only seen the Killie game (and that was on TV) but everyone was raving about Coulson after that game and he was rightly man of the match. Given that he plays in Eckersley's position, why are folk suddenly desperate for him to be playing? This isn't meant to be aggressive or snide BTW, genuinely wondering what the hell has been going on while I was away!

Coulson has performed well but we have nothing in front of him wide left. Feeling is he could play there with Eck behind. Although I sense he is Graham Carey Mk2 where nobody knows where he could play.

Certainly McKenzie would improve that defence. 

16 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Whatever is going on, Stubbs has come in and within 2 months has managed to create arguments and divisions in what was a fairly close knit squad.

Coulson has performed well but we have nothing in front of him wide left. Feeling is he could play there with Eck behind. Although I sense he is Graham Carey Mk2 where nobody knows where he could play.

Certainly McKenzie would improve that defence. 

I spoke with somone who was chatting to Coulson’s dad at one of the recent games. By his fathers own admission he’s not a left back, he’s a winger.

Stubbs definitely not my choice for the job, but he’ll get until at least the first quarter of league games to assemble and improve the squad. It’s vital we stay up and I get the distinct impression that GLS won’t hesitate to bag him should we be anchored to the bottom of the league by October.

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Stubbs definitely not my choice for the job, but he’ll get until at least the first quarter of league games to assemble and improve the squad. It’s vital we stay up and I get the distinct impression that GLS won’t hesitate to bag him should we be anchored to the bottom of the league by October.

Gordon Scott won’t think twice about bagging him if things start to go tits up.

Think most fans are like coiled springs just waiting for it to go wrong at the moment. Probably understandable given that feeling of deja vu that most of us are experiencing. 

I am definitely not optimistic regarding our chances at the moment but I'm willing to carry on giving Stubbs the benefit of the doubt for now and for the first round of games. He's had a very rough start and made what looks like several glaring errors in judgement already but it's nothing that's not recoverable at this point. 

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think most fans are like coiled springs just waiting for it to go wrong at the moment.  

Yeah, pretty tense. Especially as 4th August should be a bit of a celebration. Imagine the fury if we lose, say, 3-0. Doesn't even bear thinking about.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, pretty tense. Especially as 4th August should be a bit of a celebration. Imagine the fury if we lose, say, 3-0. Doesn't even bear thinking about.

I remember under Tommy Craig we dominated the first game v Motherwell. Marwood did well (I know!), had a good shout for penalty and Goodwin was controversially (I know!) red carded. Ended up losing 1-0 but Motherwell had finished 2nd the previous year, so wasn't concerned. Boy how we were wrong :lol:

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I remember under Tommy Craig we dominated the first game v Motherwell. Marwood did well (I know!), had a good shout for penalty and Goodwin was controversially (I know!) red carded. Ended up losing 1-0 but Motherwell had finished 2nd the previous year, so wasn't concerned. Boy how we were wrong :lol:

Just had a Facebook memory about the Blyth and Whitley Bay games at the start of that season. We were hammering non-league sides that summer, and it eventually meant nothing, so maybe we shouldn't be reading too much into these results.

Edit: My exact words in a conversation about putting ten past Whitley Bay:

It was incredible to watch, even if the opposition was poor. I think they look in decent shape for this season. Kenny McLean looked well up for it and a few of the promoted youth team players look the part as well.

I'm a football expert. :lol:

Edited by Coventry Saint

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Can I ask why there is such a clamour for Eckersley to be back in the team? I've only seen the Killie game (and that was on TV) but everyone was raving about Coulson after that game and he was rightly man of the match. Given that he plays in Eckersley's position, why are folk suddenly desperate for him to be playing? This isn't meant to be aggressive or snide BTW, genuinely wondering what the hell has been going on while I was away!

Also about to turn 33 with a history of injuries.

The "you're free to go" ploy is a pretty common phenemonon when new managers come in as a test of character. The player's options are knuckle down to try and prove the manager wrong or take the huff and chuck it. Adam's absence from all pre-season games suggests he's chosen the second path. Either that or he really is injured again!

Much has been made of Eckersley and MacKenzie being told they can go, but 2 weeks on, there hasn't exactly been a rush to sign them has there?  Given their ages and injury issues I doubt another top league club would take them.