The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

A familiar face returning also and it’s not Popescu.

The board have been closely monitoring this thread on their phones and it's Alan Main.

And unlike the other Premiership teams, at least our League Cup shambles came before we brought in most of our summer signings...

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Stelios was barely good enough in the championship. 

No thanks. 

More than good enough for the Championship,  debatable if good enough for the premiership. 

3 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Not any more than the next man. Probably not him anyway,  so probably irrelevant. 

Yeah more than the next man. He was a constant weak link every single time we played a Premier league team in a cup. 

Remember the first 25 mins at Pittodrie in the cup? The commentators actually took the pitying tone with him. 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah more than the next man. He was a constant weak link every single time we played a Premier league team in a cup. 

Remember the first 25 mins at Pittodrie in the cup? The commentators actually took the pitying tone with him. 

Had a bad game against the team that finished 2nd in the Premiership that season.  I wouldn't make my mind up on any player over a couple of bad performances against better opposition. Won us far more points than he cost us.

Just now, Munoz said:

Had a bad game against the team that finished 2nd in the Premiership that season.  I wouldn't make my mind up on any player over a couple of bad performances against better opposition. Won us far more points than he cost us.

I'm taking my opinion that in an attacking sense he was very decent. 

Defensively he was an accident waiting to happen and was quite consistently leaving us exposed. 

He's done heehaw since leaving us. 

I'd let that sleeping dog lie. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Defensively he was an accident waiting to happen and was quite consistently leaving us exposed. 

Not fussed either way ,but every player deserves a chance. 

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

With all due respect, he couldn't hold a regular place down at Ross County then failed to play a handful of games for a team sitting near the foot of the English 4th tier.

Loved him during his time with us, though the time was probably right when he left.

47 minutes ago, Munoz said:

More than good enough for the Championship,  debatable if good enough for the premiership. 

Stelios was rotten. Fully expect Kyle McAllister to jet in this week. We are very close on a number of deals. 

Let the good times roll.

19 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Pretty similar to the vote amongst the "influential" fans in the boardroom too if reports from that meeting were factually accurate. 

It's not a proud moment in St Mirren's history and it would probably be better for all concerned if fans stopped bringing it up as though Stewart Gilmour and St Mirren somehow saved Scottish Football. The disgrace of seeing the Club Chairman launching a tirade of abuse on the real heroes of Scottish Football from that period - guys like Turnbull Hutton - despite having told St Mirren fans a week earlier to leave the same people alone because the stress would lead to at least one heart attack amongst them isn't so easy to clear from my mind as it clearly is for others. 

As for Pozbairds assertion that Gilmour was protecting the club - I have my doubts. His sole motivation - and I suspect the motivation of all but one of members of the club board at that time - was the value of his / their personal shareholding which was up for sale at that time. 

Gilmour deserves and rightly gets a great deal of credit for the work he did at St Mirren. I've said earlier that he is probably the most successful St Mirren Chairman in history and the sale of Love Street was a superb piece of business but he also leaves many skid marks across his copybook too. 

I have to admit that I was never a big fan of Gilmour back in the day, retrospectively though I do have to acknowledge his good work and let's be honest there is not too many people who could have done the job he did given the limitations enshrined within the club. Let's hope we all grow to (not like) GS too.