The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Stu said:

We appear to have reached the stage where one of our directors is challenging folk who give him online abuse (which was OTT) to a charity boxing match. 😂

End the season now. We're not topping that.

Ach, fair play to him, that guy is an absolute w**k. I reckon Wardrop would f**k him up, if the shitebag even showed up.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The Marrs cleared our debt, saw us into Europe for the first time in 30 odd year, saw us into our first Scottish Cup final for many a year and allowed us to believe that we'd be favourites when Celtic played us home or away. 

Didn't stop them almost killing my club and the successes Gilmour had didn't stop him being an OF sychophant.

Regardless of what Pozbaird says the info he was given at the time - to genuinely believe Scottish football clubs couldn't survive without the Rangers pound is embarrassing.

Gilmour saved Scottish football when your guy was wanting to inflict the 8/8/8 nonsense on us. Took some amount of abuse for it as well while the east coast clubs and their pals in the media were sucking up Celtic's arse. If you come up by the playoffs next season you have Gilmour to thank.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Gilmour saved Scottish football when your guy was wanting to inflict the 8/8/8 nonsense on us. Took some amount of abuse for it as well while the east coast clubs and their pals in the media were sucking up Celtic's arse. If you come up by the playoffs next season you have Gilmour to thank.

Weird! That's the third time I've seen that mentioned. The last time I was in Mr Gilmours company he was keen to extol the virtues of the 8-8-8 "Belgian model". Maybe he listened to those of us who were keen to tell him it was bollocks but I don't remember him being credited anywhere for torpedoing it. 

As for sucking up anyone's arse - I'm sure you must remember the ever so cosy relationship Stewart Gilmour had with Ally McCoist and Charles Green or has that all slipped your mind? 

Edited by Malky3

4 hours ago, Drooper said:

When they took it out to the Main Stand, about 80% supported their position.

Pretty similar to the vote amongst the "influential" fans in the boardroom too if reports from that meeting were factually accurate. 

It's not a proud moment in St Mirren's history and it would probably be better for all concerned if fans stopped bringing it up as though Stewart Gilmour and St Mirren somehow saved Scottish Football. The disgrace of seeing the Club Chairman launching a tirade of abuse on the real heroes of Scottish Football from that period - guys like Turnbull Hutton - despite having told St Mirren fans a week earlier to leave the same people alone because the stress would lead to at least one heart attack amongst them isn't so easy to clear from my mind as it clearly is for others. 

As for Pozbairds assertion that Gilmour was protecting the club - I have my doubts. His sole motivation - and I suspect the motivation of all but one of members of the club board at that time - was the value of his / their personal shareholding which was up for sale at that time. 

Gilmour deserves and rightly gets a great deal of credit for the work he did at St Mirren. I've said earlier that he is probably the most successful St Mirren Chairman in history and the sale of Love Street was a superb piece of business but he also leaves many skid marks across his copybook too. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

We appear to have reached the stage where one of our directors is challenging folk who give him online abuse (which was OTT) to a charity boxing match. 😂

End the season now. We're not topping that.

Some club isn't it?

I wonder how many other football clubs would allow their directors to challenge their fans to a fight. 

Sometimes I think I've seen it all and then St Mirren just go and push it that bit further. 

8 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Hypothetically, if St Johnstone were to sign Isma, would you guys be really upset?

Not really as I dont think he's a realistic signing for us. Would love him, obviously, but cant see him coming back. 

Hypothetically, if St Johnstone were to sign Isma, would you guys be really upset?
Upset?? Demented Zebra would lead us on a march from Paisley to Perth with pitchforks and burning torches and we'd ransack your place.

21 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
8 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Upset?? Demented Zebra would lead us on a march from Paisley to Perth with pitchforks and burning torches and we'd ransack your place.

Isma is not the answer to our striker problems. He is a cult hero from a long time ago with our fans getting a stiffy at the thought of him coming back. Never the same when a player comes back. 

I do think SG was concerned about the club during the Sevco debacle, as I said, all directors have a responsibility, a legal one too, to their company and staff. SG wasn’t perfect, at any time, including through the Sevco crisis. Was his concern for the company and staff also wrapped up in protecting his own interests? Stevie Wonder could see that it was. That’s another story.

The only reason I brought it up at all was in response to a pretty nasty post from a Dee fan. Surely it’s now time to move on from bashing SG, and crack on with bashing GLS & Tony Fitz. Times have changed. There’s a new sheriff in town, and like the old sheriff, isn’t perfect, does good and bad things, gets praise, gets it in the neck. The Kearney online spat, the Arab fan ‘spitting’ incident.... no-one, certainly not anyone running our gaff’, will ever get it right and say the right things, all the time. 😋

Edited by pozbaird

Not me. Did a good job for us with the Cup but was a luxury in League games. Been a wanderer since then and not setting the heather on fire anywhere. Does't score enough or work hard enough.

6 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Weird! That's the third time I've seen that mentioned. The last time I was in Mr Gilmours company he was keen to extol the virtues of the 8-8-8 "Belgian model". Maybe he listened to those of us who were keen to tell him it was bollocks but I don't remember him being credited anywhere for torpedoing it. 

As for sucking up anyone's arse - I'm sure you must remember the ever so cosy relationship Stewart Gilmour had with Ally McCoist and Charles Green or has that all slipped your mind? 

Wait, are you honestly trying to claim you don't remember the 8/8/8 fiasco and Gilmour's part in killing it? You don't remember the abuse he took from people like Richard Gordon, Stewart Milne and even Neil Lennon? It was a pretty big story mate.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That 8-8-8 thing was a fucking abomination that would have made us even more of a laughing stock as people tried to figure out WTF was going on in our league. 

Milne goes on about the 'selfishness' of voting against it and yet without irony, doesn't acknowledge the fact that folk who matter the most, paying customers, absolutely did not like the idea. 

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Anyone know what happened to last night's romourd signing ? Fake news 

All the new signings have to complete their initiation challenge. Wading through the wall of pampers currently blocking the entrance to the Ralston training complex.