Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

Thought Tierney, McGregor and Armstrong were excellent.

Usual story though, papped out with 2 games to go and beaten by bayerns b team.

Celtic are definitely improving though and are a good centre back pairing away from having a go against quality sides.

They might've been missing some of their better players but 7 of that team played against PSG too. 9 if you add on the 2 (Robben and Coman) that came off the bench.

The big misses were Muller and Lewandowski. It was still a very strong Bayern team and I think we should be positive about Scottish football and in particular the Scottish guys that played. Brown/MacGregor/Forrest and Tierney were brilliant. Griffiths also off the bench.

Bodes well for Scotland. The midfield trio has got to be Brown/Armstrong and MacGregor from now on.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Wasn't at game and no tv coverage so far but Celtic eliminated yet again with games to spare. Really does just seem to be a money making competition with no intention of making a mark. Home record becoming as bad as away record these days.

Perhaps a tad harsh. Realistically the group they are in was all about who would finish top between Bayern and PSG. Celtic are favourites to finish 3rd which is about as much as they could have hoped for.

12 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I was at the game tonight, freebies from my mates boss. The only comment I have to make is, there was a woman two rows in front of me with a small figure of the Pope. Every so often she'd raise it up like she was praying. The weirdest thing I've ever seen at the football. 

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I was at Celtic Park last night, everytime I turned round  this weirdo 2 rows back was staring at me, I ended up praying to god that I'd get home in one piece.

ezgif.com-crop (5).gif

Here are my very basic player ratings from yesterday starting XI

Good:

Forrest, Tierney, Armstrong, McGregor

OK

Brown, Dembele, Lustig,

Not Good

Gordon, Boyata, Sinclair, Bitton

I thought Bitton had a great game.

His support for Celtic last night was unwavering though......

He really dislikes all the Bayern fans on here.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Celtic's best bet was always going to be having a decent pop at the Europa Failures League. 

They're never, ever going to reach the Bayern/PSG/Barcelona heights, but they've managed to drag themselves to just above the cannon fodder level. That's probably as much as they could hope for.

Given the fairly average quality of the teams in the Failures League, given that the biggest sides don't take it seriously and given that Celtic now won't come up against any really intimidating big names, I can see them doing fairly well. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
26 minutes ago, The OP said:

That was an apollon thing to say.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Limassol forget about that one.

Oh you cheeky Imps, you.

Nice piece from today’s Bild.

DECLARATION OF LOVE FROM THE BILD REPORTER

If you want to know what the big bang feels like, you just have to be in Celtic Park when Celtic Glasgow scores.

This stadium is pure magic. The fans in the stands just amazing. Goosebumps guarantee. Perfect football atmosphere. Or simply: The best football mood in the world!

I was able to watch many great games in Europe and have lots of magical moments: "You'll Never Walk Alone" in Liverpool. 100,000 fans in Barcelona singing the Barca anthem. The crazy fans of Sevilla, who ignite a runner in front of the teams, which makes the whole stadium shake. The whipping fans of Atlético Madrid. The trembling south stand in Dortmund, when the winner against Real falls. The collective ecstasy in the Weserstadion, as Werder (yes, they were once in the Champions League) led 5: 1, and then just before the end of the redeeming goal of Barca was shown in parallel on the scoreboard and Werder brought in 2nd place. But Celtic tops it all! I've never heard a stadium roar louder than McGregor's 1-1 win. Everyone, really everybody jumped up. Fantastic. A gate orgasm of almost 60,000 Scottish throats.

Magic also the 67th minute, when the whole stadium lights up the mobile phone lights and all fans sing the "In the heat of Lisbon" song for the European Cup Heroes of 1967. If this does not come close, who has no (football) )Heart.

Already shortly before kick-off the German fans were astonished. The "You'll never walk alone" can easily take on Liverpool. As the teams arrive from the time-honored catacombs, the entire stadium roars as if on command.

If you do not like this mood, you do not love football. Even Karl-Heinz Rummenigge enthused in his banquet speech: "That was football in pure culture, from the atmosphere, from the stadium. And many, who are on the road with FC Bayern for a long time, have felt transported back to old times. That was a great atmosphere that we experienced here. "

Many Bayern fans were a bit sad in the stadium - because at home in the Allianz Arena, it is inconceivable, with very few exceptions, that people jump on the grandstands and roar and whip their team forward.

It's normal at Celtic - and for me, the game was one of the best stadium experiences of all time.

Dear Celtic fans: Even if you mostly lose in Europe - you are still world class!

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Oh you cheeky Imps, you.

Made the next round bitchez. Booya. 

Anyway, I’m not sure about these “run at the Europa league” assumptions I’m hearing a lot of. With the likes of Dortmund and Atletico ready to drop in it looks like it will be stronger than last season.

Gonnae copyright “The Lyon Lions” just incase though.

59 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Celtic's best bet was always going to be having a decent pop at the Europa Failures League. 

They're never, ever going to reach the Bayern/PSG/Barcelona heights, but they've managed to drag themselves to just above the cannon fodder level. That's probably as much as they could hope for.

Given the fairly average quality of the teams in the Failures League, given that the biggest sides don't take it seriously and given that Celtic now won't come up against any really intimidating big names, I can see them doing fairly well. 

don't hold the hatred back =)))

Archived