Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly awful game of football last night. Celtic definitely played like a side who did not have a centre forward on the park, and Rosenborg were, at best, well organised and a little sharper. Would probably have Celtic as slight favourites thanks to the lack of an away goal last night.

Celtic has a woeful away record in Europe so although I didn't see or hear any of last nights match I fear the worst for them. Incidentally, when there is constant speculation about their player Dembele being transferred for so many millions, it seems he is constantly unavailable to play so they should  take the highest offer and buy someone more reliable whilst the going is good.

Their ability to crush Scottish teams with their wallet appears not to work in Europe . Perhaps, as in their last tie, referees are not intimidated or prone to favour them , the way it is for every other club in this country.

1 minute ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Celtic has a woeful away record in Europe so although I didn't see or hear any of last nights match I fear the worst for them. Incidentally, when there is constant speculation about their player Dembele being transferred for so many millions, it seems he is constantly unavailable to play so they should  take the highest offer and buy someone more reliable whilst the going is good.

Their ability to crush Scottish teams with their wallet appears not to work in Europe . Perhaps, as in their last tie, referees are not intimidated or prone to favour them , the way it is for every other club in this country.

Celtic drew 1-1 away to Manchester City and Borussia Monchengladbach last season. Both of those results would see us through. Dembele played more games than all but two of the Celtic squad last season. Given that your first two points were crap I would guess that your third point is a myth and the fact is that Scottish clubs are only of a slightly better standard than Linfield, who we swept aside easily home and away, rather than everyone would draw 0-0 with us with a different referee.

On the referee he was pretty shite, very fussy and not inclined to let the game flow. It felt like Rosenborg were constantly getting away with time wasting but that might just be my perception. 

Celtic were toothless. We always have more injuries in these qualifiers because they happen during pre-season but we really need another striker. Rogic was definitely not a centre forward and the ball kept going wide for the wingers and full backs to aim at no-one. I also think Paddy Roberts could've helped us cut through Rosenborg's rope-a-dope play with his dribbling and passing. I still think there's a good chance we'll go through as Rosenborg have to try and win the second leg and so probably won't play so much on the break.  

No, but they should.

I disagree. I will support every Scottish team in Europe to a point. Games like this I want the Scottish team to go through. Disasters like the Rangers game against utter diddies are glorious gifts from the gods. As for the diddies I want them to get to the group stages at least and would support them on an unlikely european run to the end.

As for the ugly sisters I reluctantly wish them well until the group stages. I hope they aren't completely shite but can't be arsed with them doing well. That's just a sore heid.

Get to the groups, finish 3rd, either drop into the EL or out completely (depending on what competition they are in) and when the fall into the EL get papped out by a decent enough team, or humiliated by a diddy on a run.

12 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I disagree. I will support every Scottish team in Europe to a point. Games like this I want the Scottish team to go through...

As for the ugly sisters I reluctantly wish them well until the group stages. 

Why on earth would anyone want our already wealthiest club to do well enough to bag a further £20m?

Senseless.

Why on earth would anyone want our already wealthiest club to do well enough to bag a further £20m?
Senseless.

If they go through next week i'll happily watch them fail and fall into the EL, so long as it's a decent team.

I don't care what competition they are in, I just prefer to see as many of our teams get to the group stages as possible. Like I said previously, getting papped out in the qualifiers is simply shite, unless it's a humiliation by some shitmunchers.

1 minute ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I don't care what competition they are in, I just prefer to see as many of our teams get to the group stages as possible. 

Idiocy where the OF and the CL are concerned.

Thoroughly destructive.

What a poor game of football.  Rosenburg were always going to park the bus and try and get them on the counter attack but even although Celtic didn't have a recognised striker on the field the lack of chances they created was ridiculous.  Their dead ball deliveries were woeful but not as woeful as the commentators from Celtic TV - what a couple of bampots those guys were.

Hopefully this raises an eyebrow or two about a player or two (well really one player) in the Celtic team that aren't good enough.  Yes Sinclair and Rogic struggled up front but the service from Forrest and makeshift winger Armstrong was poor, I'll give Armstrong the benefit of the doubt but my patience with Forrest has run out.  We need a new winger, won't be able to get one in time for next week so if we are going to go through we will need a) Griffiths to be fit and b) Hayes to start in place of Forrest with Brown, Armstrong, and Rogic in the centre of the park.  

2 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

You must have really hated Celtic getting pumped off Barcelona last year.

I enjoyed it.

I loved it, but would have preferred if it hadn't been so lucrative for them and damaging for our game.

So you'd rather we have no teams at that level? As much as I would love to see it I very much doubt Aberdeen will make it any time soon.

I don't support a team who will ever be challenging to win the top division in Scotland so I don't really care who wins the league. I would enjoy a non OF club doing it but it makes no difference to me. It doesnt affect my enjoyment of Scottish football.

Like I said previously, I want to see Scottish teams (any Scottish teams) do well in europe. To a point.

What a poor game of football.  Rosenburg were always going to park the bus and try and get them on the counter attack but even although Celtic didn't have a recognised striker on the field the lack of chances they created was ridiculous.  Their dead ball deliveries were woeful but not as woeful as the commentators from Celtic TV - what a couple of bampots those guys were.

Even the Celtic fans can't stand the commentary on Celtic TV. Utterly atrocious and needlessly biased at times. I know biased commentary isn't a shock but there are times where we can all see something and they utter on for 10 mins claiming otherwise

Archived