Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see some statement from McKinnon about yesterday's performance I am looking for two things, firstly an acknowledgment that it was terrible, and secondly some indication as to how he is going to address the problem.  

I know this has been discussed before, but it is glaringly obvious that we need a big physical target man who can hold on to the ball and bring his teammates into the game.  Yesterday St Mirren set themselves up in such a way that we were obliged to punt the ball up to McDonald, not a recipe for success.

Despite their poor display yesterday we have some skilled footballers in the team but we need to have options that allow us to use their talents, without a target man we will have one style of play.

28 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

On arabzone he said it was lack of desire and hunger from the players. 

Lol.

That was a big factor. Not being able to pass the ball was another (see also "inability to move off the ball").

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I know this has been discussed before, but it is glaringly obvious that we need a big physical target man who can hold on to the ball and bring his teammates into the game.  Yesterday St Mirren set themselves up in such a way that we were obliged to punt the ball up to McDonald, not a recipe for success.

Despite their poor display yesterday we have some skilled footballers in the team but we need to have options that allow us to use their talents, without a target man we will have one style of play.

He might not be the tallest but N'Koyi might be able to fill that role. He certainly looked like he was willing to at least attack the ball and be aggressive (but that could have been more the circumstances of him wanting to impress). When everyone is fit I think we have the personnel to win the league. Wether we have the right coaches or management to guide that personnel is another question. 

26 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

On arabzone he said it was lack of desire and hunger from the players. 

Lol.

It did look like that ,  on the game thread I wrote you look a lot weaker compared to last season that you did lose 3 key forwards. Don't know the United player who took the ball for a long fast run and nearly scored you need more of that. Have to say was surprised you signed Mullan for every good performance you will get loads bad. Don't see your chairman accepting a bad season to be honest. Good turn out from United fans yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

It did look like that ,  on the game thread I wrote you look a lot weaker compared to last season that you did lose 3 key forwards. Don't know the United player who took the ball for a long fast run and nearly scored you need more of that. Have to say was surprised you signed Mullan for every good performance you will get loads bad. Don't see your chairman accepting a bad season to be honest. Good turn out from United fans yesterday. 

Was that in the second half? If so it was Robson the young left back (who has actually been a pleasant surprise so far this season). We currently play a system that doesn't allow for fullbacks to overlap which I am never a fan of. Our buildup was incredibly slow, one-dimensional and easy to defend against. If you are going to have a team of small, technically decent footballers then you must be able to play quick football but we have not been able to do that so far this season. 

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

Was that in the second half? If so it was Robson the young left back (who has actually been a pleasant surprise so far this season). We currently play a system that doesn't allow for fullbacks to overlap which I am never a fan of. Our buildup was incredibly slow, one-dimensional and easy to defend against. If you are going to have a team of small, technically decent footballers then you must be able to play quick football but we have not been able to do that so far this season. 

Robson that's him looks a good player. As wrote above once you have the full squad I'm sure things will click. 

What im saying is its his team. If he cant get the team he has built champing at the bit to prove a point or inspire the players to give everything then...as  somebody once said, whats the fucking point? 

I wouldnt be surprised if the new players have sussed out that he is useless already and dont really understand what they are supposed to do on the pitch.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

He might not be the tallest but N'Koyi might be able to fill that role. He certainly looked like he was willing to at least attack the ball and be aggressive (but that could have been more the circumstances of him wanting to impress). When everyone is fit I think we have the personnel to win the league. Wether we have the right coaches or management to guide that personnel is another question. 

Don't think N'Koyi is the answer though based on what we saw yesterday he has as much right to a start as McDonald.

i'm not quite at the get rid stage but be honest if McKinnon had to leave for any reason you wouldnt give a f**k would you?
We have been pretty much shite all the way through his tenure, managing to disguise being fucking turgid by grinding out wins. We have only won 2 league games by more than a goal in the last year.
Whatever you think of heartless wee fuds like spittal and fraser other managers can get performances out of players like that. 
The squad is, yet again, completely imbalanced with far too many midfielders.

I agree, McKinnon should never been appointed in the first place, he has no pedigree at this level. His appointment showed a lack of ambition by the club. His tactics (a lack thereof) will continue to be brought into question time and time again - we have no identity in our style of play and lack a plan B and C that we need to break teams down.

Throughout the summer he continued to state that he wanted a target man and then we sign McDonald (who I'm sure will turn out to be a good signing) however, we have yet to resolve this issue.

I'd expect to see some movement before the window shuts after a performance like that.

I was reading an article on poker this morning (stay with it this is good enough to be in a broadsheet newspaper). It basically says to be successful when analysing a hand you need to process focussed and not results focussed.

Yeah you might hit 7 7 7 on the flop having called a big raise with 2 7 but of you keep doing that you won't win the tournament.

If I'm being results focussed about the season so far we are doing fine. One loss is no big deal. If I'm being process focussed it's really worrying.

Last year I managed to convince myself that grinding out shitty one goal wins playing pish was just how you win this league. Turns out it's not and when you get found out you get pumped like we did post Xmas.

The hard league to get out of myth is pish too. Good positive attacking teams can pish this league as demonstrated in recent years by Inverness, Ross County. Hamilton and Hearts

For me the thing Utd should be worrying about is,that after 3 unconvincing result and yesterday a thrashing all over the park.

Other clubs fans me included. pre season were looking at your signings and thinking "Utd will take a bit of beating."

Now though fans are saying hey they're there for the taking.

It can only get more difficult now

I wonder if we have a legacy issue at the club from the J-Mac days " we're better than them so just have to turn up" . Not seen a great work rate from this United side - only in short spells. The recruitment looks fine give or take so if it's an attitude problem that sits with the management team.

I wonder if we have a legacy issue at the club from the J-Mac days " we're better than them so just have to turn up" . Not seen a great work rate from this United side - only in short spells. The recruitment looks fine give or take so if it's an attitude problem that sits with the management team.

Can't speak for the St. Mirren game but I definitely think That was the issue with the Brechin City game, we just seemed to play with this lazy arrogance throughout the whole match.

2 hours ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Whatever the problem is, and there's definitely a problem, then it sits with the management team.

If your analysis is right then it's an attitude  that McKinnon and co need to disabuse the players of very quickly.  

Equally it could be that he simply doesn't know how to organise a team and get the best out of his players.

Archived