"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

Just now, Rugster said:

Which at just about every club extends to a pie and a cup of tea. If, which I doubt they have, Caley have been dishing out full on hospitality to journalists then another example of financial mismanagement.

I'd suggest that there is almost zero chance of any journalist getting "proper" hospitality at ICT. It will be, as you say, a pie or sausage roll and a drink at half time and maybe some leftovers at full time. I'm sure @ICTChris has talked before about the degrading experience that journalists have had at the club over the years. 

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Print journalists get hospitality at games? This is an excellent result if it’s true. Can’t wait.

Obviously I don’t cover you guys, so I can’t comment directly, but reporters don’t get “freebies” for “generous reports”. You’ll find that local journalists have to tread a very fine line so as not to get banned by the club (one which I’ve been treading since earlier this year).

I’d also dispute the fact that having reporters at games costs clubs. Ban the P&J or Courier and then let someone from the club explain to shirt sponsors why they aren’t getting any publicity in the paper or on the biggest news website in the area. That was a situation some bigger papers had with Rangers a few years ago, and they quickly backed down. It only costs clubs if they could’ve sold the seat for money, but given most games are unlikely to be anywhere near a sell out it’s not really an issue.

Fwiw (and again as someone with a soft spot for you guys but not someone immersed in the club) the local media coverage has looked excellent. I know a hell of a lot more about the situation than I would’ve done if I’d relied on the BBC.

The situation with Rangers was when they looked at the amount of print journalists and their photographers were attending games they indicated that they would start charging for attendance and that set up an almighty uproar for the papers.

As for publicity papers provide for clubs it is one photo which is miniscule exposure as against tv media coverage, ( which does bring money to a club), of 90 minutes of a game with shirt sponsors clearly displayed.

And the print media do expect free hospitality at games, we've all seen it at all levels from Highland League with maybe  a 100 in attendance and five print journos heading for the free pies and teas at half time to rows of you at premier games, it all costs to a club at any level.

However to end, print media stories in todays world is yesterdays news as social media overtakes the print industry as proven with rapidly falling sales and owners asking for subs to read their articles on line.

Fact is the first area the print journalist access in the morning is social media to see what the fans have come up with, just as you did this morning!

Anyway thats my take, end of.

9 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Not enough season ticket holders/fans to get them out of this unfortunately...cheeks are a blight on Scottish football whereby religion dictates what team you support unless you have an ounce of common sense..doesn't matter how "remote" you are from cheekland...just got to pray this new ultra generation redresses some balance 

You're right, but a return in fans confidence in buying ST's might encourage some of our wealthier past and present board members to invest.

20 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Which at just about every club extends to a pie and a cup of tea. If, which I doubt they have, Caley have been dishing out full on hospitality to journalists then another example of financial mismanagement.

They don’t get free hospitality. They sit in a wee “press box” area and get some teas and pies but that is it.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

They don’t get free hospitality. They sit in a wee “press box” area and get some teas and pies but that is it.

Which is exactly what I said.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even though it doesn't change the material facts of potential financial disaster, knowing that you'll soon be free of Gardiner's tyranny you may at least enjoy this article:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/local/1902754/i-genuinely-believe-my-greatest-achievement-has-still-to-come/

bvZXeXVqUtpihVL_zaGkEVIAEMg.gif.61ca5ec608c95c79c533e5b723ec901a.gif

VEuUruNkYZgMtMiTja0E2T0HfYA.gif.ae21377de3de110b76dcdf270950aca3.gif

GigSHocKY0OqZ5fX2yebOxOXmMc.gif.8e822817b5e80af54d7bcfe11230601b.gif

WfCrp7PZejJ4U76aQk_KvAkBCg8.gif.270d840b817032488a887750644ebc8e.gif

JnQiln6dznj2uXvshOdProQ8_Gw.gif.812e15fe823d0c26b1f9848e6fcdc863.gif

Cognitive dissonance at its finest. Gardiner truly believes these 'alternative facts'.

Bye Scot.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

How is the journalist going against the grain? There are about three folk still left at the club in an executive capacity, who are now openly courting takeover offers. 

The time for journalists and/or supporters' organisations to stand up and be counted on this issue was at least 5 years ago. 

He was the 1st person in the local media to call out the Kelty deal being a no-go, rather than his P&J counterpart, Mike Edwards who still had his nose too far up Morrison's arse to realise the whole thing was a bogey

The fact that his first name is spelled 'Scot' should've set alarm bells ringing before he even joined the club IMO.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The fact that his first name is spelled 'Scot' should've set alarm bells ringing before he even joined the club IMO.

Scotland Gardiner. 

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Scotland Gardiner. 

Scotland McTominay is the only suitable one in this instance IMO.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Not all press get teas and pies. Or even teamsheets come to think of it.