"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I would suspect that quite a wildly held view among members of the Highland league is that they would rather not join the national leagues. 

I talked to a Buckie director last year who said he had zero interest in promotion, and I've yet to meet a fan who wants it. No way of telling how representative that is, and there's been talk of attitudes changing.

• Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

On 08/06/2024 at 17:44, EdinburghBlue said:

A literal interpretation of the rules suggests that any team going into administration would not qualify for a bronze license at the next review, and no bronze license means no participation in the SPFL. However, there’s clearly an inconsistency in the rules now, as why have a 5 points deduction in year 2 if you are not going to be allowed to participate anyway? Perhaps a commonsensical approach might be to say that if a club post-administration would otherwise qualify for bronze then a license derogation would be given but with a points deduction. 

Haven't reread the rules, but it would make more sense if the 3 years without an insolvency event would only apply to new applicants, not clubs like ICT who already hold a silver licence. Otherwise why have the 15 and 5 point penalty if you're effectively banished from the SPFL?

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I talked to a Buckie director last year who said he had zero interest in promotion, and I've yet to meet a fan who wants it. No way of telling how representative that is, and there's been talk of attitudes changing.

Yup.   I’d imagine the travel costs as much as anything make it prohibitively expensive for most teams up here.  There might be a case for regionalising lower league football, but I haven’t really thought long or hard about it.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup.   I’d imagine the travel costs as much as anything make it prohibitively expensive for most teams up here.  There might be a case for regionalising lower league football, but I haven’t really thought long or hard about it.  

The SPFL prize money and automatic League and Challenge Cup entry more than makes up for the travel costs, and most non-Buckie fans who just go to home games would be up for it I think. BoD and I think Brora are keen now and Fraserburgh said they were, but gave the impression they'd be happy if it was just for a season or two, and maybe Formartine and Inverurie as well. The other clubs likely won't need to think about it, but there's still a resentment from some officials that they were forced into the pyramid at all. Brechin are obviously keen, it's all they talk about.

Edited by welshbairn

Hope you guys get through this - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Supporting a football club is a way of life & I hope you survive, it's not that long ago we were in the same boat & it's a horrible, horrible feeling.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

Hope you guys get through this - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Supporting a football club is a way of life & I hope you survive, it's not that long ago we were in the same boat & it's a horrible, horrible feeling.

I dont.  I hope the club dies and they build an Ikea. 👍

19 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I dont.  I hope the club dies and they build an Ikea. 👍

Aye, your club's time is coming, that particular clock is ticking ...

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Is there room for x2 Ikea's in Highland...? Maybe another bakery is the way forward.

Edited by Lanky Highlander
typo

37 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

Is there room for x2 Ikea's in Highland...? Maybe another bakery is the way forward.

The Highlands needs a strong Ikea. 

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

We are premiership relegation play off champions 2 years in a row.  One more and we get to keep the trophy and add three stars to our crest.  If that's the future then count me in pal.

15 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

We are premiership relegation play off champions 2 years in a row.  One more and we get to keep the trophy and add three stars to our crest.  If that's the future then count me in pal.

I bet you've never been relegated with a positive goal difference though.

24 minutes ago, RiG said:

What a shambles. 

Never mind that, poor as it is, when's this happening? What do you expect Sportsound to do for content?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

What a shambles. 

Discussing this topic earlier today funnily enough. I'm maybe in a minority but I don't see any issue with that. If you have a contract and your contract expires then surely you have to have the common sense to realise the club aren't interested in you? If players are allowed to sign elsewhere before their contract ends then why do they expect to be hand held if the shoe's on the other foot?