"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Some of the first touches from those lads puts our first team to shame.

I think you need to be a far better player technically these days to get signed on a pro deal than you did say 10/15 years ago.  Football has, thankfully, moved on and the days of hoof ball up to the 6 foot 2 tall 16 year old who bulldozes his way to goal seem to be getting phased out.

We've offered Austin a deal and Robbo appears to confirm that County are interested in Chalmers.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1738172/caley-thistle-boss-john-robertson-fears-loss-of-joe-chalmers-amid-ross-county-interest/

Can't say I'd be overly fussed if either of them left really. We have more important players to try and retain. Bit odd to say that about Chalmers given how much he has featured for us this season but I don't think he is that crucial to the way we play though he has bagged a couple of lovely goals for us (United in the Cup obviously). I'd rather break the bank, as much as we can do, to secure the likes of Welsh or Donaldson than keep Chalmers.

17 minutes ago, Pulp said:

Brilliant news about Ridgers at least means when a team (County) comes in for him at least we’ll get some money.

We sold him to Hearts for sixty grand back in the day.  We're quids-in on that front.  Cheers though.

We're being linked with yer man Aaron Doran.

No idea where he fits into our squad as we've got Matty Kennedy and Swanson for the role on the last wing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea where he fits into our squad

Probably the treatment room.

Some will say that's harsh, but while he's a good creative player with nice touches he's lost a large part of his career through injuries. Over this season he has steadily improved but is still nowhere near what he once was and it's unlikely he will get to that level again. The amount of time spent with serious injury it's inevitable he will be out again for a period and a player who will most likely have to retire early - whether he's at Premiership level anymore is up for debate but Polly has been a better player for us this year whereas a few years back you'd say that Doran would cigar the Championship and be an absolute stand out not just at ICT but overall.

A harsh but fair assessment. The first half of this season he rarely showed up but in recent weeks / months he has looked like his old self again though he isn't quite as nippy as he once was and probably doesn't influence a game as much as he did during his peak under Butcher. If he did leave I would be disappointed obviously but I wouldn't begrudge him a final shot a top tier football again though whether he is still up to that level I am not so sure.

I reckon he would still do a job for a bottom half Premiership team. Think after his injuries he may be more suited to playing in behind a lone striker rather than being out wide.

20 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I reckon he would still do a job for a bottom half Premiership team. Think after his injuries he may be more suited to playing in behind a lone striker rather than being out wide.

With Polworth away that was my hope for us next season. Walsh on the left / right with a returning MacDonald on the other flank and Doran in behind White.

Folk on CTO slagging off David Sutherland ffs. That guy is the reason we got to the SPL in the first place.  Do we have the most moronic fans currently on Earth?

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Folk on CTO slagging off David Sutherland ffs. That guy is the reason we got to the SPL in the first place.  Do we have the most moronic fans currently on Earth?

Yes, yes we do!

Well certainly more than our fair share.

With that you are in a way right but our problem has been over the years that there has been no sustained singular or multiple  financial backers, rather we well know that there has been  other backers than DS but that there has been a lot of infighting for control which has sadly seen the departure of some. 

To me there has always been a tinge of greyness/whataboutery re the north and south stands and now the retention of the car parks

I am a supporter of DS but at times I have felt that his main loyalties first and foremost, obviously, have been with the late Sandy Tullochs company, a terrific golfer in his day btw and a pleasure to know.

Alan Simpson on CTO is worth reading for his in depth encrypted understanding of how things should be universally. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

David Sutherland ffs. That guy is the reason we got to the SPL in the first place.  

Overly simplistic I'm afraid.

There are reasons many that we made our way to the top league.

DS may have invested and we all thank him for the lovely stands, but I can't get around the fact that he has little in the way of passion for the sport and because of that it's fair to ask about motives.

To paint him as some sort of Roy Rogers character is to overly credit him.

"If it wasn't for ...." is the tired argument and it's a bogus and perhaps disingenuous one. Who knows how events would have unfolded.

8 hours ago, CaleyStan said:

Sandy Cromarty + sophia + Alan Simpson = birdog

Wasn't quite sure what this was supposed to convey so I looked up birdog on the net, it revealed that it is a 'USB plus Satellite Meter Signal Locator'.

Maybe our Stanley meant Bird Dog or as there is three of us Bird Dogs, whatever?

Caleystan? more like Sillystan .