11 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

I said I'd rather keep him for the season, much rather in fact, than accept 2/3 of 2m or even 2.5m. It's a shit deal vs what he gives us on the pitch.  We would not replace McGinn with anything like the same quality. It would be a Slivka type guy or worse. 

It's always tricky to value these deals, and the clubs rarely give full information, but I would hope for a base fee above 2M plus realistic add-ons and a sell-on clause. Look at Leicester paying 20M+ for Maddison. 10% of that kind of profit and you could double the initial fee. I can't see it being any less than that sort of value, given that they've already rejected 2M from Celtic. As you say, 2M or thereabouts as a total package would be a poor deal for Hibs given the sell-on to St Mirren.

8 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

It's always tricky to value these deals, and the clubs rarely give full information, but I would hope for a base fee above 2M plus realistic add-ons and a sell-on clause. Look at Leicester paying 20M+ for Maddison. 10% of that kind of profit and you could double the initial fee. I can't see it being any less than that sort of value, given that they've already rejected 2M from Celtic. As you say, 2M or thereabouts as a total package would be a poor deal for Hibs given the sell-on to St Mirren.

McGinn is three times the player of Maddison. Show what kind of nonsense fees go on down there. Birmingham once paid 2.5m for Rowan Vine remember. The worst striker I have ever seen at Easter Road. I think it's a crappy deal but I'm glad Lawwell isn't getting him. Downside is Lennon will not be happy about losing McGinn on eve of Molde game for a fee half his valuation. 

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

Hibs will be pushing hard for the Villa move and would be within their rights to knock back the Celtic offer as even if Villa's and Celtic offers are identical on paper (and presuming there will be a sell on), Villa clearly offers the better long term financial package for Hibs.

Celtic will be keeping him for the rest of his career. If it doesn't work out and they do sell him, it's going to be for a loss. He goes south and has two semi-decent seasons and he's by default a £20m footballer and clubs will happily pay that to another English side. Like us at the moment, Hibs could make more money off a John McGinn sell on than the initial transfer. 

Mind when Rodgers dug out McGinn after a Hibs v Celtic last year for absolutely no reason? I didn't hear any complaints from him when their 'third and final bid' was rejected either.

Celtic, including him, thought they could do their usual media campaigning, offer a few shitey bids and eventually McGinn and Hibs would realise they weren't worthy of such flattery and cave in.

Seeing Rodgers greet about it now is absolutely glorious. 

6 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Mind when Rodgers dug out McGinn after a Hibs v Celtic last year for absolutely no reason? I didn't hear any complaints from him when their 'third and final bid' was rejected either.

Celtic, including him, thought they could do their usual media campaigning, offer a few shitey bids and eventually McGinn and Hibs would realise they weren't worthy of such flattery and cave in.

Seeing Rodgers greet about it now is absolutely glorious. 

I think Rodgers changed his mind about McGinn after the 2-1 game in April TBF. Scott Brown, who must have some influence in these things, has also been blatantly pushing for Celtic to sign McGinn, to the extent that Lennon told him to shut up about it a few weeks back.

Rodgers' beef is clearly with Lawwell, given that he put McGinn forward as a transfer target months ago and Lawwell has made a total hash of it by being too clever by half. It's not as if McGinn would be a particularly hard "get" for Celtic, given that he was a fan of theirs as a kid and they have more than enough money to do it. Celtic made their first bid for McGinn in late June / early July (just after Armstrong was sold), when Villa were technically bankrupt. If Celtic had made a proper bid back then, Villa wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

McGinn deserves a lot of credit here. Clearly given his connections Lawwell thought he could low ball and unsettle the player. 

However, John has got his head down and by all accounts really stepped up for Hibs in the first games of the season.

f**k Celtic and their bully boy tactics. 

Celtic are the masters of the low ball bid. They are happy to accept inflated fees for their players but p1ss about when it comes to other Scottish players. They think they are billy big balls and can get away with it.

We told them to F off when they tried it on with Carson in January this year.  Celtic fans pass it off as good business. No it is not. You want something you pay a fair price for it. That is how it works in the real world. 

I hope he goes to Villa. They have a chance of being promoted back to the Premiership and even if not at the 1st attempt they play some big games in the Championship. 

Teach Celtic a lesson - hopefully. 

Celtic are the masters of the low ball bid. They are happy to accept inflated fees for their players but p1ss about when it comes to other Scottish players. They think they are billy big balls and can get away with it.
We told them to F off when they tried it on with Carson in January this year.  Celtic fans pass it off as good business. No it is not. You want something you pay a fair price for it. That is how it works in the real world. 
I hope he goes to Villa. They have a chance of being promoted back to the Premiership and even if not at the 1st attempt they play some big games in the Championship. 
Teach Celtic a lesson - hopefully. 
I personally think that Celtic are attempting to manipulate the Scottish market. They are literally the only ones who have decent cash to spend. So they're using that cash to put as low offers in as possible for players who look like they'll be something special. The likes of Christie and Morgan are those players. They have then set the market as "its not realistic to expect big fees in Scotland, look at the amount we paid for xxxxx". Except the transfer market has went utterly mental over the last few years. Scottish player valuations have not remotely tracked this.

Celtic could well find that they're now having to compete with clubs willing to spend more money than they will. Every successful Scottish transfer down south will increase the cost of doing business for them.

I want Hibs to spend a chunk of this cash from Mcginn in Scotland for way higher a fee than either arse cheek would spend. That would set the market in a good way for everyone.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

McGinn deserves a lot of credit here. Clearly given his connections Lawwell thought he could low ball and unsettle the player. 

However, John has got his head down and by all accounts really stepped up for Hibs in the first games of the season.

f**k Celtic and their bully boy tactics. 

Yep, I would say he is in the form of his life right now (and thats saying something given its a few years since he won the League Cup with you guys and 2 years since winning the Scottish with us).

Whoever gets him for whatever cash is getting a brilliant player, and (according to someone I know on staff at Hibs) a really really nice guy.

Players come and go, but I will be genuinely gutted when SJM leaves.

It will be a real shame if he ends up a benchwarmer at Parkhead, thats why he should head to Villa