Lot of chest pumping from my fellow m9s on this thread, but the fact is this - Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite), and if we lose him we are at serious risk of a relegation battle

7 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Lot of chest pumping from my fellow m9s on this thread, but the fact is this - Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite), and if we lose him we are at serious risk of a relegation battle

I don’t think anyone on this thread have commented on his ability, just stating it’s odd to release a statement about it.

14 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite)

Applying your own logic, Porto is an embarrassing thug (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Hibs fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite).

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf it also tells clubs they can get him for free in June.

If theres a chance hes signing a new deal then clubs might try to jump the gun and pay a fee in January incase they miss out if he extends his deal. Now everyone will be chucking larger offers at his agent to secure him on a PCA (which he can now sign) rather than giving any money to Hibs.

Interesting to see how it plays out but i dont think its a smart move from Hibs to announce this, any bidding war will be directed at the agent/player.

I suppose from Hibs' perspective the hope is that this bidding war of everyone launching offers at his agent results in a couple of sides deciding the clincher is saying "we'll come and get you now rather than in the summer." It's the only way the statement makes sense.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I don’t really agree. It just weakens Hibs’ hand in my opinion. There’s a reason announcements like this aren’t common at all.

Weakens our hand from a position where we already know he isn't signing an extension and intends leaving for nothing in May?

His agent has already told other clubs he is offski so the only people this comes as a surprise to are (non Hibs) football fans.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I suppose from Hibs' perspective the hope is that this bidding war of everyone launching offers at his agent results in a couple of sides deciding the clincher is saying "we'll come and get you now rather than in the summer." It's the only way the statement makes sense.

Only an absolute moron club would chuck 6 figures at Hibs instead of simply offering the agent substantially more money, and ultimately thats what it'll come down to now.

A CB isnt a match winner so the chances any club is absolutely desperate to sign him, to the point of just tossing away £100k+, is incredibly slim. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only an absolute moron club would chuck 6 figures at Hibs instead of simply offering the agent substantially more money, and ultimately thats what it'll come down to now.

A CB isnt a match winner so the chances any club is absolutely desperate to sign him, to the point of just tossing away £100k+, is incredibly slim. 

We're likely talking about English Championship or top end League One clubs here. Clubs at that level have spent actual money on Clayton Donaldson and James Collins.

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Weakens our hand from a position where we already know he isn't signing an extension and intends leaving for nothing in May?

His agent has already told other clubs he is offski so the only people this comes as a surprise to are (non Hibs) football fans.

Like I said, there’s a reason that these announcements aren’t made very often. It signals there is no way back to everyone, even if privately Hibs already knew that was going to be the case.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Like I said, there’s a reason that these announcements aren’t made very often. It signals there is no way back to everyone, even if privately Hibs already knew that was going to be the case.

I agree - but like I said, its been an open (not very) secret for some time. When I heard he had been offered the same money as Boyle and hadnt signed, we all knew the jig was up.

I dont think that Hibs are trying to force some bidding war (thats hilarious whoever said that !) and agree its an unusual situation to issue a statement.

My suspicion is that they all know where he is going, and it will happen as soon as the window opens.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We're likely talking about English Championship or top end League One clubs here. Clubs at that level have spent actual money on Clayton Donaldson and James Collins.

Eoin Doyle. Chesterfield to Cardiff. Transfer fee was...

...One Million Pounds (say that in a Dr Evil voice)

I don't really see the fuss about the statement. We complain when clubs don't communicate with fans, and in this case Hibs have simply been clear and up-front with the support about the situation.

All this talk of the impact it will have on the deal in terms of bidding wars, drumming up interest etc is wild. His agent will have been working on this for ages and there aren't going to be clubs sitting reading the Hibs website suddenly saying 'f**k me, we can sign Porteous!'. Clubs who are in any way interested will have known about this way before Hibs did.

In terms of what's happening behind the scenes in getting him a move somewhere, this statement makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. It's just communication with the fans and avoids the issue dragging out as a will he/won't he. They've clarified he won't, and that's fair enough.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really see the fuss about the statement. We complain when clubs don't communicate with fans, and in this case Hibs have simply been clear and up-front with the support about the situation.

All this talk of the impact it will have on the deal in terms of bidding wars, drumming up interest etc is wild. His agent will have been working on this for ages and there aren't going to be clubs sitting reading the Hibs website suddenly saying 'f**k me, we can sign Porteous!'. Clubs who are in any way interested will have known about this way before Hibs did.

In terms of what's happening behind the scenes in getting him a move somewhere, this statement makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. It's just communication with the fans and avoids the issue dragging out as a will he/won't he. They've clarified he won't, and that's fair enough.

For once, i agree with Vincent. 

Hope he gets a decent gig and doesn't go to the cheeks. 

9 hours ago, AndyM said:

From a personal point being away from the online mouth-frothers and west coast agenda hacks will do him the world of good.

There are parallells with the John Soutar situation last year of a young, talented, international defender on freedom of contract choosing their next option. I'm far from convinced Soutar made the right choice. 

Where's he going to move away from online comments? China?

I'm not sure "west coast agenda hacks" have influenced his career too much, but getting away from his jakey mates should help.

John Souttar has significantly increased his salary to sit on a different treatment table. A great choice for him.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Have you been in fucking therapy?

Or maybe its me as I agree with every word of this post 

Oh My God Wow GIF