6 minutes ago, Zing. said:

You got £7m for a Scottish league player in the last year of his contract this summer. 

Hibs have set an asking price which Celtc are yet to meet or negotiate an acceptable deal towards. If they don’t want him now we’ll gladly keep him and he can go for free next summer. Keeping this saga ongoing isn’t doing Hibs or McGinn and favours. 

A skewed example but yes we sold a playerof higher claibre to a team with a higher budget. Another bottom end EPL club could quite easily blow us out the water with fee and wage for Mcginn  but the fact nobody has yet probably shows that there isnt a great deal of interest right at that level right now. 

I agree though I would rather have this ended one way or another in the next week or so though. 

Edited by gannonball

51 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A skewed example but yes we sold a playerof higher claibre to a team with a higher budget. Another bottom end EPL club could quite easily blow us out the water with fee and wage for Mcginn  but the fact nobody has yet probably shows that there isnt a great deal of interest right at that level right now. 

I agree though I would rather have this ended one way or another in the next week or so though. 

I am not convinced. Celtic basically tapped him, pretty shitty stuff.

9 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

I am not convinced. Celtic basically tapped him, pretty shitty stuff.

Call me a cynic but I would imagine most deals involving millions involve ‘tapping’ to a degree these days. In fact even reading some Lisbon on lions auobiographies its been regularly  on the go for perhaps half a century now. Absolute guessing like you but we probably would have spoken to the agent to see if he was interested and if there was any firm EPL interest. The latter being whether we put in a higher bid or indeed a bid at all.

Edited by gannonball

34 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Absolute guessing like you but we probably would have spoken to the agent to see if he was interested and if there was any firm EPL interest.

https://www.sfm.scot/why-we-need-to-change/?cid=130008

Youse unsettled him, youse knew we'd reject your bid. Celtic should be fined.

Edited by HaikuHibee

5 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Who you kidding? If McGinn had 10 years left on his contract you would still come in with a derisory offer, it's what you do, that and complaining about the lack of competition when you get hit for 6 by a big team or get pumped out of europe by a diddy team. It's Celtic's way.

I don't doubt Celtic might have put in a derisory offer had he been sitting with a 10 year contract with Hibs. That's not just "the Celtic way" but its the way of the world. If a person or company thinks they can get something for less they will do so. The same way English clubs can take Celtic players for less than they'd have to pay if they played in England. It's pish but thats life. In this case though I think 2 million(if that was offered as the 2nd bid) would be more than fair with a year left of his contract. Like I say, I would say he would be worth 4 million if he had years left, I am not a big fan of his but maybe you would value him at more then I could see why 2mil might be considered derisory.

1 hour ago, HaikuHibee said:

https://www.sfm.scot/why-we-need-to-change/?cid=130008

Youse unsettled him, youse knew we'd reject your bid. Celtic should be fined.

Just about ever first bid for a player is rejected, last time I checked bids for players can be made public which renders that rule useless which is why no club has ever been reported or fined for publicly registering an interest as far as I am aware.

Edited by gannonball

2 million for a scottish league player out of contract in a year isnt derisory.  There is a diffrence between derisory and not acceptable. I cant remember the last time Hibs got over 2 million for a player? 
Thing is, it's not 2m to Hibs. Take off VAT and the 33% due to St Mirren and we're getting just over 1m. That's nowhere close to enough to sell him. Couple of extra places up the league and reaching a semi final would cover that. One extra round in Europe would near enough cover it.

17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
4 hours ago, gannonball said:
2 million for a scottish league player out of contract in a year isnt derisory.  There is a diffrence between derisory and not acceptable. I cant remember the last time Hibs got over 2 million for a player? 

Thing is, it's not 2m to Hibs. Take off VAT and the 33% due to St Mirren and we're getting just over 1m. That's nowhere close to enough to sell him. Couple of extra places up the league and reaching a semi final would cover that. One extra round in Europe would near enough cover it.

I can totally understand why Hibs have turned it down given the sell on fee situation and the chance of European group stages. To be honest in term of Mcginns development another season in the top flight and european football is hardly going to hold him back. By then he may have more clubs interested and with no fee can command wages way above what we could offer.

2 hours ago, Young gun said:

Looking for a clue to the relationship Stubbs had with Adam  Eckersley .Iknow he was there for a short time under Stubbs.

Adam was one of our successes last season but he’s been told to find another club

can you help ?

I think we only had him for a few months and he didn’t play because of his injuries and Lewis Stevenson. Not really much to go on from his time at Hibs. He was wanting to go abroad so left in the January. 

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

I think we only had him for a few months and he didn’t play because of his injuries and Lewis Stevenson. Not really much to go on from his time at Hibs. He was wanting to go abroad so left in the January. 

I spoke to him yesterday and he is distraught ,he couldn’t say much, but I asked if we would find out,quite probably.he said

He is one of the good guys in football 

5 hours ago, Young gun said:

Looking for a clue to the relationship Stubbs had with Adam  Eckersley .Iknow he was there for a short time under Stubbs.

Adam was one of our successes last season but he’s been told to find another club

can you help ?

To put it simply, he is not good enough. 

Do you lot remember Matty Kennedy? I'm hoping he's a Swanson clone, but with more pace and less fat. 
He was fucking shite with us. Couldn't beat a man. Final ball woeful. Zero game awareness. I think his only goal was against Dundee Utd in the league cup. He then missed a penalty in the shoot out the same game.

He was a winger and young, so the epitome of expected to be inconsistent, but we never even got a good 90 minutes out of him.

10 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

He was fucking shite with us. Couldn't beat a man. Final ball woeful. Zero game awareness. I think his only goal was against Dundee Utd in the league cup. He then missed a penalty in the shoot out the same game.

He was a winger and young, so the epitome of expected to be inconsistent, but we never even got a good 90 minutes out of him.

Pretty much how I remember him. We ended up cutting his loan short. Could have improved since then obviously, but he was pretty useless for us. 

7 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Pretty much how I remember him. We ended up cutting his loan short. Could have improved since then obviously, but he was pretty useless for us. 

I cant recall him, but we rarely cut loan deals, so not a good sign.