As an outsider, and doubter of your new link-up, can anyone give me an idea of the quality of loan player that you guys are expecting to faff about on the pitch next season?

Do you expect the better loan players to arrive in January, like this season?

22 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

As an outsider, and doubter of your new link-up, can anyone give me an idea of the quality of loan player that you guys are expecting to faff about on the pitch next season?

Do you expect the better loan players to arrive in January, like this season?

Quick answer, we've no idea. The only in print things we've got to go on is Foley's promise of transfer funds and Montgonner-y saying that Marcondes and Maolida are the standard for future recruits.

Can we attract such quality, Will Bill cough up, Will Monty still be in a job come June 1st...stay tuned to find out. 

7 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Quick answer, we've no idea. The only in print things we've got to go on is Foley's promise of transfer funds and Montgonner-y saying that Marcondes and Maolida are the standard for future recruits.

Can we attract such quality, Will Bill cough up, Will Monty still be in a job come June 1st...stay tuned to find out. 

What do your instincts tell you? You always appear to be a more level headed sort than many on here.

Just now, Sortmeout said:

When?

We qualified for Europe 4 years in a row, finished in the top 8 12 times in a row, had a 3rd placed finish and won 3 trophies since we got promoted.

We've been shite recently but let's not downplay what we achieved previously.

4 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

What do your instincts tell you? You always appear to be a more level headed sort than many on here.

Two possibilities to my mind.

1. We tit about like we always do and quote words such as 'potential' 'big club' 'infrastructure' etc while finishing 6th/7th
2. Bill actually turns us into a side.

My money's on #1. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We qualified for Europe 4 years in a row, finished in the top 8 12 times in a row, had a 3rd placed finish and won 3 trophies since we got promoted.

Can any team outside the OF match that in the same timeframe?

14 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Two possibilities to my mind.

1. We tit about like we always do and quote words such as 'potential' 'big club' 'infrastructure' etc while finishing 6th/7th
2. Bill actually turns us into a side.

My money's on #1. 

My money is on 2 but with the caveat that it's not going to be flick a switch in August and off we go. And that will probably annoy a lot of the types who think running a football club is like playing Championship Manager on their X Box.

It will take a couple of seasons.

14 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

The Sta Johnstone record in the last 15 years can't be touched by any club outwith the Ugly Sisters. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

16 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

The St Johnstone record in the last 15 years can't be touched by any club outwith the Ugly Sisters. 

No interest in a pissing competition here because clearly we can't match St Johnstone's 3 trophies won however in the last 16 seasons we've had:

• 3 cup finals (3x Celtic)
  • 2x 2nd place finishes
  • 3x 3rd place finishes
  • 9 top 6 finishes
  • and since @RandomGuy. mentioned top 8 we've finished 8th or above in 14 of those 16 seasons
  • we competed in Europe 6 out 7 seasons between 08/09 and 14/15 and 2 out of 3 between 20/21 and 22/23 (clearly 'competed' is used very loosely in the most recent campaign)

Like I say, it doesn't match St Johnstone's wins but as an overall record I'd say it runs them close given our respective opponents in the finals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._seasons

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Like I say, it doesn't match St Johnstone's wins but as an overall record I'd say it runs them close given our respective opponents in the finals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._seasons

Cup runs in general are a poor indicator of how a club is doing, as they tend to be based on decent draws. That's the same for all of our clubs, and St Johnstone's three cup wins only really include one Big Result; beating Rangers in the cup in 2021 on penalties. If you look through their cup wins, the draws were kind overall and they had three rounds of semis and finals where they never played the OF. It's hard to think of another club that has had opportunities like that. Nobody else I can think of has had a run of getting to semis and constantly avoiding the Old Firm. But, they still won, so fair's fair.

St Johnstone's league form over that period is the far more impressive thing. And it's arguable that Motherwell's spell of 40 years in the top flight is pound for pound the most impressive performance in Scottish football. Especially as it  also includes a cup win (beat Celtic in the semi) and some other finals, second places etc.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Cup runs in general are a poor indicator of how a club is doing, as they tend to be based on decent draws. That's the same for all of our clubs, and St Johnstone's three cup wins only really include one Big Result; beating Rangers in the cup in 2021 on penalties. If you look through their cup wins, the draws were kind overall and they had three rounds of semis and finals where they never played the OF. It's hard to think of another club that has had opportunities like that. Nobody else I can think of has had a run of getting to semis and constantly avoiding the Old Firm. But, they still won, so fair's fair.

In 20/21 we beat the 3rd placed side in both competitions, at the Semi and Final stage, won at Ibrox, and Aberdeen/Celtic were the only teams of the top 6 we never beat, with us also beating the sides who finished 7th and 8th.

There's plenty of teams who only draw the OF once in a cup completion, it's not notable enough to keep track of because they always fail to win both trophies. The idea we're "lucky" because that was our draw is stupid when the reality is other clubs get "lucky" that way all the time but don't capitalise. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In 20/21 we beat the 3rd placed side in both competitions, at the Semi and Final stage, won at Ibrox, and Aberdeen/Celtic were the only teams of the top 6 we never beat, with us also beating the sides who finished 7th and 8th.

There's plenty of teams who only draw the OF once in a cup completion, it's not notable enough to keep track of because they always fail to win both trophies. The idea we're "lucky" because that was our draw is stupid when the reality is other clubs get "lucky" that way all the time but don't capitalise. 

Oh, plenty draw them once. But few (none I can think of) draw them once across three cup runs. Denying that that is a lucky run is bizarre.

You got some breaks and ran with it, no need to be so defensive.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Oh, plenty draw them once. But few (none I can think of) draw them once across three cup runs. Denying that that is a lucky run is bizarre.

You got some breaks and ran with it, no need to be so defensive.

Plus, when beating Hibs at Hampden becomes a major honour, we will be more decorated than Real Madrid.

2 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Plus, when beating Hibs at Hampden becomes a major honour, we will be more decorated than Real Madrid.

They're the only other c***s we ever play at Hampden apart from the OF. It's been them, the OF and one game against ICT in the last decade.

We're due a wee diddy team in a semi. Wee-er and diddy-er than Hibs, that is.

Devaluing st johnstones 3 trophies over luck of the draw comes across a wee bit sour I have to say. 

Having said that, they owe the 2014 cup to us pumping Celtic at parkhead for them so f**k them.