The DUP

Blootoon87

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

What's the feeling like in your neck of the woods @Jacksgranda. Hoping a SF victory doesn't fuel any more Irish Sea Border style attacks.

Certainly a big day for the UK, suprised it's not getting more coverage if SF win and the DUP basically say "am no playing with you" then the UK government need to act swiftly to bring a resolution in before anything kicks off can't have an election result ignored because one party isn't too keen to play second fiddle.

The only people getting excited about this are the political commentators as far as I can see, total apathy seems to be the mood, although I suppose most folk will drag themselves out to vote.

By doing what, exactly?

Sinn Fein haven't really a lot of the moral high ground to stand on seeing as they collapsed Stormont for 3 years (albeit under different - and some would argue less reasonable - circumstances).

But it wouldn't do the DUP any great favours in the wider community by not entering government or nominating a Deputy First minister, imho.

Apparently they've 24 weeks to make up their mind.

32 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The only people getting excited about this are the political commentators as far as I can see, total apathy seems to be the mood, although I suppose most folk will drag themselves out to vote.

By doing what, exactly?

Sinn Fein haven't really a lot of the moral high ground to stand on seeing as they collapsed Stormont for 3 years (albeit under different - and some would argue less reasonable - circumstances).

But it wouldn't do the DUP any great favours in the wider community by not entering government or nominating a Deputy First minister, imho.

Apparently they've 24 weeks to make up their mind.

Total apathy seems to be the feeling right across the UK, so no surprise it's made its way across the Irish sea.

Yeh moral high ground will be lacking in this situation but I expect a fury to be sipped up all the same.

24 weeks without a government is a sham although considering the period without a government before it doesn't seem so bad

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

Total apathy seems to be the feeling right across the UK, so no surprise it's made its way across the Irish sea.

Yeh moral high ground will be lacking in this situation but I expect a fury to be sipped up all the same.

24 weeks without a government is a sham although considering the period without a government before it doesn't seem so bad

It might not take 24 weeks, they might just say no thanks.

However, if Alliance* come second and redesignate themselves as unionist, game on. (I've no idea if that is likely, or even possible.) Maybe @sparky88 knows.

*ETA: That might cause Alliance problems with their nationalist inclined voters.

Edited by Jacksgranda

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So the latest big news from the Failed State is the 2021 Census figures.

Going forward politically it looks like one community has a massive majority in the over 50s who'll need to be looked after by the other community who have massive majority in the under 30s.

Believe it's called the politics of inter dependency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Northern Ireland secretary, Chris Heaton-Harris, is holding last-ditch talks with the region’s party leaders to try to restore devolved government and avert an assembly election.

If the meetings in Belfast on Wednesday do not yield a breakthrough that revives power-sharing on Thursday Heaton-Harris is expected to call an election, tipping Northern Ireland into further uncertainty.

Gloom shrouded the talks because the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) has vowed to continue its boycott of the Stormont executive unless the party’s objections to the post-Brexit Irish Sea border are resolved.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The Northern Ireland secretary, Chris Heaton-Harris, is holding last-ditch talks with the region’s party leaders to try to restore devolved government and avert an assembly election.

If the meetings in Belfast on Wednesday do not yield a breakthrough that revives power-sharing on Thursday Heaton-Harris is expected to call an election, tipping Northern Ireland into further uncertainty.

Gloom shrouded the talks because the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) has vowed to continue its boycott of the Stormont executive unless the party’s objections to the post-Brexit Irish Sea border are resolved.

No it won't, the result will be the same as the last time, Sinn Fein might screw another seat off the SDLP, the DUP could lose one to either Alliance/TUV/UUP.so much the same as the last time, i.e no Assembly.

The best I can see is a Speaker being elected which would get some spending plans approved, as I understand it.

1 hour ago, BudBudBud said:

If Heaton-Harris wants the assembly up and running, then he should put pressure on his colleagues to get rid of the Protocol, thus upholding the Act of Union and Good Friday Agreement.

It really is that simple.

That won't happen.

There may be tinkering round the edges of the Protocol, which might get the DUP off the hook, claim a victory and return to Stormont.

Toys out the pram!

Northern Ireland faces another Stormont assembly election just seven months after the previous one, after the DUP confirmed it will continue to block the formation of a new executive.

Seems to me the DUP are less a political party and more a fundamentalist group - they'd do well to remember as Sir Edward Carson said that the Tories are not their friends.

46 minutes ago, btb said:

Toys out the pram!

Seems to me the DUP are less a political party and more a fundamentalist group - they'd do well to remember as Sir Edward Carson said that the Tories are not their friends.

The thing is another election won’t make a blind bit of difference other than to maybe delegitimise the whole system in the eyes of the electorate.

We should just cut links with NI and let the folk there go on their own merry way.

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

What is the DUP’d problem with the Protocol? Do they have any legitimate issues or are they whinging just cause it makes them feel a bit less British. Serious question, they’ve been moaning about it for ever and I’ve still no clue as to what the actual problem is.

They don't want any trade barriers on the island of Ireland and don't want them NI-GB. But they also want Brexit. 

They want the impossible, essentially. Those three things cannot exist together. 

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The thing is another election won’t make a blind bit of difference other than to maybe delegitimise the whole system in the eyes of the electorate.

We should just cut links with NI and let the folk there go on their own merry way.

There's maybe more to that throwaway remark than you think Granny.  I listened this morning to a radio interview with a resident of NI who cited three younger members of his extended family who in the last six months have upped sticks and moved to the UK mainland. 

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They don't want any trade barriers on the island of Ireland and don't want them NI-GB. But they also want Brexit. 

They want the impossible, essentially. Those three things cannot exist together. 

What they don't seem to grasp is that the NIP potentially makes NI one of the most attractive places in the UK for inward investment because of the ability to have a foot in both camps.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What they don't seem to grasp is that the NIP potentially makes NI one of the most attractive places in the UK for inward investment because of the ability to have a foot in both camps.

Oh they understand they just don’t care 

The majority of voters in NI voted to remain, they supported Brexit as they wanted a hard border with the rest of Ireland

Keeping in mind the DUP do not support the Good Friday Agreement