The DUP

Blootoon87

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Some drunken bampot in Belfast pointed at me and said "you're a Tim" and pointed at my mate and said "and he's a ***".

He was correct - dunno whether it was brown hair v blonde hair, lucky guesswork or if Northern Irish people have the pro or anti transubstantiation version of gaydar.

Hmmm, right Admin is using the T word a naughty step offence or not?

3 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Slightly off topic, but I remember many moons ago having a cannabis fuelled discussion with one of BBC Scotland's future top football reporters about the spelling of my pals second name (that happened to be shared by him). He was genuinely astonished that my friend wasn't a fellow 'Tim'. I didn't have a fucking clue what he was going on about.

A Charles for the first person to guess the second name.

Gotta be Raman Bhardwaj.

Just now, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I can usually have a damned good guess at someone's background when back home, based on a number of things, and your theory of a gaydar equivalence is spot on, because I can't explain it myself. Subtle little things like pronunciations help. I really don't miss that sort of shit.

And yet the poster in question pointed to "looks".

Still intrigued.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

And yet the poster in question pointed to "looks".

Still intrigued.

I think, having grown up there, you pick up on subtle little inflections, although I would struggle to explain it properly. Looks do play a part, and that bit is even more difficult to explain.

9 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

........................apart from the fact most names in Northern Ireland tend to be tribally assigned.

What does the 'tribal allocation of names' have to do with an individual's ability to assess the DUP's activity or plans? The garden bigot has tried to dismiss comments about the DUP on the basis of the contributor's first name. That is the ingrained bigotry of your horrible little backwater seeping out - no more or less. 

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Me and the occasional poster - Tory Boy walked through Parkhead years ago to go see Celtic bs West Ham in a pre-season friendly and we were sniffed out by some locals who launched a tirade of sectarian abuse at us despite neither of us wearing any colours.

Looks like Rangers casuals.........

1 minute ago, virginton said:

What does the 'tribal allocation of names' have to do with an individual's ability to assess the DUP's activity or plans? The garden bigot has tried to dismiss comments about the DUP on the basis of the contributor's first name. That is the ingrained bigotry of your horrible little backwater seeping out - no more or less. 

Not at all, it is a statement on the sad inevitability of the likelihood of her not being a DUP member/voter based on her name. Not impossible, but very unlikely indeed. Surely you can see the connection?

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You can't go by  a name. I've a brother-in-law called Shaun and another one called Gerald, both protestants. My wife has a nephew called Gerald (an Orangeman). My wife's mother was called Geraldine.

My wife is a Catholic and her name is Victoria ,she has an uncle called Billy.

3 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I think, having grown up there, you pick up on subtle little inflections, although I would struggle to explain it properly. Looks do play a part, and that bit is even more difficult to explain.

It's called profiling.

5 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If you are constantly on the look out or aware of a certain group of people then you can pick up signals that others won't and you can't really explain it.
My pal is in the masons and has a six sense for picking out people who are other masons- and he's usually correct when I wouldn't have a clue.

Normally if someone is a fanny it's a reasonable assumption they might be in the Masons.

7 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Not at all, it is a statement on the sad inevitability of the likelihood of her not being a DUP member/voter based on her name. Not impossible, but very unlikely indeed. Surely you can see the connection?

Nobody suggested that she was either a DUP member or voter. She could however be an academic, or a journalist, or the head of an NGO focusing on the political or sectarian divisions in the region. Which would make her rather well qualified to discuss the motivations, strategy etc. of the DUP. and far better qualified to do than its rank and file members. 

But rather than accept or reject that contribution based on any such relevant background information such as expertise, knowledge or sources our garden bigot's response was "what would she know about it being called Siobhan". So an exercise in bigoted stupidity then. 

Edited by vikingTON