The DUP

Blootoon87

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you see somebody with ginger hair, freckles and pale skin there is a better than average chance that they will be either Scottish or Irish. That kind of thing.

Given that people from Northern Ireland are pretty much an amalgamation of the Scottish and Irish dunno if that helps much.

Edited by The OP

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Nobody suggested that she was either a DUP member or voter. She could however be an academic, or a journalist, or the head of an NGO focusing on the political or sectarian divisions in the region. Which would make her rather well qualified to discuss the motivations, strategy etc. of the DUP. and far better qualified to do than its rank and file members. 

But rather than accept or reject that contribution based on any such relevant background information such as expertise, knowledge or sources our garden bigot's response was "what would she know about it being called Siobhan". So an exercise in bigoted stupidity then. 

But the people best placed to know what the DUP are doing would be DUP members, followed by their voters, (although I would have no great hope of reasoned debate here), and this would apply to all parties.

Of course a journalist/political analyst called Siobhan could give a learned and erudite view, but I think the point he was making was that we are still a tribally based society and the likelihood is that "Siobhans" would tend not to be voting for Unionist parties.

9 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

^^^^^ away to discuss whether he prefers blood and thunder or a melody flute band.

T'was actually the hunger strike supporting, mostly Irish Catholic (apart from Gary Moore and a Septic Tank) beat combo, Thin Lizzy.

Crikey, somebody asks about profiling and all hell breaks out. The State has been using it for years in crime detection/terrorism. Hardly a big deal but a few on here lost it because clever as they make out, they couldn't define what they were on about.

Just now, The OP said:

Is this the usual whataboutery you find on any NI thread? Seems very left field.

A very predictable response, and a poor attempt to dismiss my point.

How is it unreasonable to point out inconsistencies of some? The DUP attract all sorts of terrorist gifs, yet Jeremy Corbyn's dealings with the IRA are laughably explained away as an attempt at peacemaking.

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you see somebody with ginger hair, freckles and pale skin there is a better than average chance that they will be either Scottish or Irish. That kind of thing.

Is that a huge help in Northern Ireland in terms of distinguishing between Protestant and Catholic though?

2 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Crikey, somebody asks about profiling and all hell breaks out. The State has been using it for years in crime detection/terrorism. Hardly a big deal but a few on here lost it because clever as they make out, they couldn't define what they were on about.

Agree on the Glaswegian in a crowd thing. Think it's mainly mannerisms that makes Glasgow folk stand out a mile, but it's difficult to pin down.

2 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

I don't think anyone has really "lost it" over this issue.

1 minute ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

But the people best placed to know what the DUP are doing would be DUP members, followed by their voters, (although I would have no great hope of reasoned debate here), and this would apply to all parties.

No they are not. I'm a member of the SNP but that doesn't give me a hotline to Nicola Sturgeon's office in Bute House, any insider knowledge on what the party's real priorities are going to be in the next Westminster parliament or what they're going do about a second independence referendum right now. That sort of knowledge exists only at a high level of a political organisation, but it is often shared and/or leaked with wider circles of journalists and political commentators. The idea that having the 'right name' makes someone any better informed on the DUP's demands from the Tory government is absolutely laughable.

Of course a journalist/political analyst called Siobhan could give a learned and erudite view, but I think the point he was making was that we are still a tribally based society and the likelihood is that "Siobhans" would tend not to be voting for Unionist parties.

Which isn't at all relevant to the 'Siobhan' in question retweeting a story that has been covered in today's Times by its senior political editor:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/election-2017/ennoble-farage-or-else-warns-former-ukip-backer-5xkw0b9f0

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is that a huge help in Northern Ireland in terms of distinguishing between Protestant and Catholic though?

The ones with ginger hair, freckles and pale skin are much less likely to be in a marching band, but this is by no means a given.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You would be more likely to get pigeonholed as being RC based on that, but as AFJ explained it is a combination of things. There are small things when people are talking like how they would say the alphabet when they get to the letter h that are used to tell people apart.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

No they are not. I'm a member of the SNP but that doesn't give me a hotline to Nicola Sturgeon's office in Bute House, any insider knowledge on what the party's real priorities are going to be in the next Westminster parliament or what they're going do about a second independence referendum right now. That sort of knowledge exists only at a high level of a political organisation, but it is often shared and/or leaked with wider circles of journalists and political commentators. The idea that having the 'right name' makes someone any better informed on the DUP's demands from the Tory government is absolutely laughable.

Which isn't at all relevant to the 'Siobhan' in question retweeting a story that has been covered in today's Times by its senior political editor:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/election-2017/ennoble-farage-or-else-warns-former-ukip-backer-5xkw0b9f0

Did I not say that the people best placed to know what the DUP are doing would be DUP members and, in particular the senior ones, so thanks for agreeing with me?

As for leaks to journalists and political commentators, they can often be disingenuous and designed to steer a course one way or another. I also said that Siobhan was more than capable of giving a learned and erudite analysis. It isn't a question of the "right name" and I never said it was, I was merely pointing out the sad tribal reflections that still exist in Norn Iron as, I suspect, was LTL.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Agree on the Glaswegian in a crowd thing. Think it's mainly mannerisms that makes Glasgow folk stand out a mile, but it's difficult to pin down.

Think you'd clock friend or foe very quickly in a Failed State.