Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Nothing in the west needs to change the new 16 team league next season simply just needs to be put into the pyramid at the same level as the EOS. It is not rocket science

How would your rocket science deal with the South of Scotland league?

2 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Nothing in the west needs to change the new 16 team league next season simply just needs to be put into the pyramid at the same level as the EOS. It is not rocket science

Would probably be the sensible approach. WoSL is inevitable, just a question of what format it takes.

That said, a lot may depend on which clubs voted which way. While all votes are equal, some are clearly more equal than others. I can see a split with some remaining junior, or at least separate to the pyramid.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

How would your rocket science deal with the South of Scotland league?

EoSL, WoSL and SoSL sides play a 3 team play off for the promotion spot? Each team plays each other once and the best record over the two games goes up, with a potential replay if 2 sides have an identical record.

I'd be in favour of increasing the promotion/relegation numbers to 2 up 2 down, personally. Again, easy enough to factor in the how if the will is there.

41 minutes ago, bendan said:

There effectively is a West league already. It's called the South of Scotland League.

2ytzpfd.png

o6i61i.png

Aside from the geographical differences (when the SoS first formed post WW2 it did contain a few Ayrshire sides but there were none from the Dumfries end), the South set-up is primarily amateur clubs playing senior football. It is a bit like the Ayrshire District league - some teams so much stronger than the rest but a lot of very weak sides using the amateurs are recruiting grounds and paying expenses only. The South sides that have a licence in the main don't want up. Any re-evaluation of the current set-up should be considering where the SoS should be in the 'natural order' I would aay not one immediate step below a division that sends its members potentially from Stranraer to Brechin for a league game.

Edited by cmontheloknow

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Would probably be the sensible approach. WoSL is inevitable, just a question of what format it takes.

That said, a lot may depend on which clubs voted which way. While all votes are equal, some are clearly more equal than others. I can see a split with some remaining junior, or at least separate to the pyramid.

It wasn't really a vote, though. It was just a survey, and some might say an poorly thought out one at that.

The cynic in me might believe that although the majority of Junior clubs now want to join the pyramid, the SJFA negotiating on their behalf will just make unfeasible demands like joining at the same level as the LL.  Then claim that they tried their best for their members and revert back to what we have currently with a few Junior clubs taking matters into their own hands and leaving.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

k3216c.png

o6i61i.png

Aside from the geographical differences (when the SoS first formed post WW2 it did contain a few Ayrshire sides but there were none from the Dumfries end), the South set-up is primarily amateur clubs playing senior football. It is a bit like the Ayrshire District league - some teams so much stronger than the rest but a lot of very weak sides using the amateurs are recruiting grounds and paying expenses only. The South sides that have a licence in the main don't want up. Any re-evaluation of the current set-up should be considering where the SoS should be in the 'natural order' I would aay not one immediate step below a division that sends its members potentially from Stranraer to Brechin for a league game.

Based on that would it not make sense to reformat the leagues similar to that of the SFA's current regional set up? They have 6 regions consisting of North, East, West, Central, South East and South West.  Whilst it may not be ideal it would seem a logical step, mind you logic is something that lacks somewhat in the Scottish game.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

EoSL, WoSL and SoSL sides play a 3 team play off for the promotion spot? Each team plays each other once and the best record over the two games goes up, with a potential replay if 2 sides have an identical record.

I'd be in favour of increasing the promotion/relegation numbers to 2 up 2 down, personally. Again, easy enough to factor in the how if the will is there.

Possibly.  I like.  

Bottom LL relegated.   2nd bottom  into a playoff with the 3 league winners.  These 4 teams then randomly drawn out in a 2 x 2 legged ties with the winners of each tie playing in the LL.   So that guarantees at least one tier 6 champ getting promoted and possibly 2.   The other option is a 4 team group with everyone playing everyone and the top 2 going up, but thats a lot of games.

Oh, every option is rubbish :-)

43 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

It’s all too late for the SJFA.

They can only fit in underneath a West Of Scotland Senior League once it’s set up.

I've been banging on for months that next seasons new West leagues are prefect for slotting into the Pyramid as the West structure. 

How promotions and relegations are handled would have to be decided but from next season there will be a structure that allows the cream to move up the pyramid whilst also allowing the teams who want to remain effectively playing Junior grade the opportunity to do so in the lower leagues but still offering them the carrot of if they are good enough then they can proceed upwards.

5 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

I understood that some of the West Region Junior clubs, eg Auchinleck and Beith, have stated very clearly that they won't join the pyramid. True or false ?

Also the  SoSL clubs will probably need to be offered the chance to join a West senior league, if the SFA decides to link West and South clubs into a revised Tier 6 pyramid feeder. Threave Rovers, St Cuthbert Wanderers, and more recently Newton Stewart are licensed. Also, Wigtown is expected to rejoin the SoSL next season. 

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

It wasn't really a vote, though. It was just a survey, and some might say an poorly thought out one at that.

It was pretty clumsy, to be polite, but it gives an indication of where many see things heading. I think an EGM is the right call based on the results but exactly what is put forward at the EGM is the important bit.

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The pictures show that if the two are joined, they cover the whole of the western part of lowland Scotland, which is precisely what is required. The juniors don't seem to understand that if they all (or just a significant number) joined the SoS, the essentially amateur teams of D&G would be nowhere near level 6, and in fact probably a regional sub-division of the west area at level 8 or 9. It's comical to read people saying you'd be off to D&G every second week.

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

The pictures show that if the two are joined, they cover the whole of the western part of lowland Scotland, which is precisely what is required. The juniors don't seem to understand that if they all (or just a significant number) joined the SoS, the essentially amateur teams of D&G would be nowhere near level 6, and in fact probably a regional sub-division of the west area at level 8 or 9. It's comical to read people saying you'd be off to D&G every second week.

I don't believe for a second the South of Scotland League, unless compelled to, would open its doors to a significant proportion of the SJFA's membership. You're suggesting effectively a hostile takeover of a league 70 years old. Not going to happen.

I think what is more sensible and what will happen is that 2 new leagues will be established at level six - a new West league (covering the northernmost part of the West) and a new league 'up north', effectively Highland Div 2.

Edited by cmontheloknow

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

In general I agree, but if all the SoSL clubs reject an offer to join an integrated West League,  these clubs would probably accept Tier 7 (not Tiers 8 or 9 as suggested) at the present time. Within a few years the non league West & East structures below Tier 7 will probably want to return to regional leagues, and the SoSL could then slot in. 

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I don't believe for a second the South of Scotland League, unless compelled to, would open its doors to a significant proportion of the SJFA's membership. You're suggesting effectively a hostile takeover of a league 70 years old. Not going to happen.

I think what is more sensible and what will happen is that 2 new leagues will be established at level six - a new West league (covering the northernmost part of the West) and a new league 'up north', effectively Highland Div 2.

But what you're saying is that when the pyramid was established, the SFA accepted that the SoSL did not cover western lowland Scotland, but in fact only the very south west (as the SoSL had to commit to the pyramid) and thus the SFA accepted at that time that teams in the west had nowhere to play. I don't think that was the case. The SoSL accepted Bonnyton, EK (though they never took up the place) and Edusport because they had to.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Not only that, the LL, HL, SOSL and EOSL are already separate bodies, each with their own board, sponsors etc. That’s why promotion/relegation are issues that are negotiated between different leagues and voted on at AGMs. An amazing number of posters on here still haven’t grasped this.

Absolutely correct. And the HFL, North Juniors and NCL is a very different nut to crack, especially as there is no indication that these 3 leagues wish to be linked in the pyramid, either for promotion or relegation reasons.

If Cove Rangers are successful in gaining promotion to the SPFL , Junior club Banks O'Dee (already licensed) will be a 'test case' as the club will have to decide whether to apply to join the HFL . Also licensed are Golspie Sutherland (NCL), who are very unlikely to seek promotion. (No floodlights).

And yes, I know the SFA wants to restrict the HFL to 16 clubs (in line with the SLL), but if one of these clubs applied for the vacancy, it would be very difficult to reject it under the existing structure of these 3 leagues. 

However if the HFL/SLL "boundary" issue comes into play, geographical reorganisation may come to the fore.