Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Sos is 13 clubs disband them there all shite

And you wonder why some people think the Juniors are arrogant? Moreover, whilst you may think they're "shite" they're still made up of hard working folks who commit time, energy and, in some cases, money to ensure they survive.

Edited by Deeside Dynamo

30 minutes ago, kefc said:

As far as I’m aware 18 teams won’t happen in LL, that was intel from last season but stance might have changed, doubt it though. The consensus is 18 teams is 2 too much for the fixture calendar, it’s thought the Highland League would rather have it at 16 too.

Others on here may know more on this.

1974/75 there were 18 teams in the old first division and 20 in the second.fixtures worked out fine then and before.as long as the juniors fixtures guy isnt involved,it should be fine :)

2 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Nothing in the west needs to change the new 16 team league next season simply just needs to be put into the pyramid at the same level as the EOS. It is not rocket science

It may not be rocket science but ... if 16 west teams are propelled to tier 6 because there has never been any previous pyramid engagement and the same happens in the north, there are going to be a lot of unhappy junior teams in the east who already had 12 teams at tier 6 (excluding the arrival of Kelty this season and whoever goes next season). And those 12 were there before the pyramid was a thing so it's chance rather than design. 

Effectively we're saying west and north to tier 6 and east to tier 7. If that's how it is, then that's not going to fly and the sjfa cannot negotiate that as a solution. 

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

It may not be rocket science but ... if 16 west teams are propelled to tier 6 because there has never been any previous pyramid engagement and the same happens in the north, there are going to be a lot of unhappy junior teams in the east who already had 12 teams at tier 6 (excluding the arrival of Kelty this season and whoever goes next season). And those 12 were there before the pyramid was a thing so it's chance rather than design. 

Effectively we're saying west and north to tier 6 and east to tier 7. If that's how it is, then that's not going to fly and the sjfa cannot negotiate that as a solution. 

I simply cannot see the sfa entertaining the juniors landing above existing leagues.

now, I know there are issues with playing standards - that’s the real issue to address - and it might be addressed by conference leagues next season or season after to grade teams into a completely new set up. However what’s in it for the eosl and sosl? Not much I think?

it seems the sjfa have acted just in time to save their validity before a mass exodus. They haven’t actually came up with a viable plan though; but really; that’s probably for the sfa/spfl/eos/sos/hl to tell us now what they envisage. Which really means the juniors position is really weak unless individual clubs want to jump ship.

The SPFL, SFA, SJFA and all other bodies need to get their heads together and come up with a solution for the entire structure.

At the moment it seems the EOSL are accepting new clubs for the upcoming 2018/19 season which is going to see a lot of the junior teams make the jump at that point. Possibly even a West division?

Then the juniors want to join the pyramid from 2019/20 which will mean more upheaval.

2020/21 is when the SPFL want to go ahead with their reconstruction plans.

It's about time the SFA sorted this once and for all and present a structure that is open to all and have different requirements for each level to help clubs work their way towards being licensed. More promotion and relegation slots to keep things fresh. Larger divisions so teams aren't playing the same teams 4 times in the league every season.

I'd go with

Tier 1 - Premier: 18 teams
Tier 2 - Championship: 18 teams
Tier 3 - National League: 20 teams (2x regional groups of 10 that split after 2 rounds to give a promotion section of 10 and a relegation section of 10) Top finishing teams from existing Highland/Lowland League make up numbers here
Tier 4 - Highland/Lowland West/Lowland East (3x leagues of 16) Rest of Highland/Lowland/EOS/SOS/Juniors play in one of ranking competition to determine place in tier 4 or tier 5
Tier 5 - Regional feeders to Tier 4

God, what a thread, a collection of myth, gossip, untruths, reliable sources, unreliable sources, blah blah, a total frenzy! 

Question, how is it that some folk see every club that are pro pyramid as progressive, is it not true that some are opportunistic? By the same token any club that don't fully concur are unambitious and backward thinking, surely it could be argued that they could indeed be realistic?   

The latest news regarding the survey in the Juniors is interesting, however there is still a way to go even before Junior participation can even be discussed. The subsequent motion will need to be successful to start with.

As stated, I have no problem with the principle of a glass ceiling being removed and everyone being able to join it and find their place. However if the discussion on here is anything to go by, we are so far removed from anything that could be remotely regarded as appropriate.

The  club licence procedure taking a route, effectively dumbing down,  making it possible for nearly any club to achieve is not conducive to clubs finding their rightful place, it is indicative as to where the whole process is.

Times are changing and I hope for the better, but there really has to be some seriously considered discussion and so the discussion should not be about pyramid per se, it should be about football in Scotland, how to improve it, from the bottom up!

We might just end up with a really interesting non league, and a path for capable clubs to realise appropriate ambition, would that not be great!

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I can't believe anybody has addressed the really big issue here, i.e. Tom Johnstone's blatant and unprovoked use of the word "promulgated". :blink:

Concomitant with promulgating awareness of being a bellend, IMO.

3 hours ago, Deeside Dynamo said:

And you wonder why some people think the Juniors are arrogant? Moreover, whilst you may think they're "shite" they're still made up of hard working folks who commit time, energy and, in some cases, money to ensure they survive.

Chill out ffs it was a joke,  does nobody do humour anymore without get offended to the hilt.

3 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

The  club licence procedure taking a route, effectively dumbing down,  making it possible for nearly any club to achieve is not conducive to clubs finding their rightful place, it is indicative as to where the whole process is.

Isa, I asked you this already.

Can you give examples of what you mean by ‘dumbing down?’ What’s wrong with licensing being achievable?  How do you square this with all the Juniors and TJ complaining about £100k toilets etc? How would you dumb it back up again :lol:

11 minutes ago, Lroy said:

Here's my version of an expanded league pyramid. teams in each league are based of the league tables from whatever year I did it. I gave up trying to sort teams after tier 3.

WBYLEy8.png

Not a lot wrong with this. Unfortunately Rangers & Celtic won't like losing a guaranteed Old Firm game.

Here's my version of an expanded league pyramid. teams in each league are based of the league tables from whatever year I did it. I gave up trying to sort teams after tier 3.
WBYLEy8.png

I like the effort you’ve put into that. Definitely a fan of a 16 team top tier instead of 18, always have been. Play each team home and away once a season - simple. Keeps things fresh and interesting.

Only thing I’d say is that I don’t like how after the “national league” it goes into highland and lowland. I think their should be another division below that and then the highland and lowland leagues below that.

Keep the top 12 (as dictated by the four OF game shite) and then have two 16 team leagues below it, then 16 team lowland / highland, then 16 team feeders (east / west and north east / north west) and so on down (with further regional sub-divisions as required) until you run out of clubs that want to be a part of it.

I don’t understand the need to have all junior teams a part of it either - simply state intention of the above and invite applications which will then be placed fairly (under consultation) In future years any team can apply to join at bottom level, but if teams don’t want to join they can stay where they are. Again, simple.