Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Just now, A.M said:

A certain amount of money would need to be spent on some of the smaller clubs , and many of them survive week to week and dont have money to spend

With respect, why are they playing semi professional football if they will take spectator money and give nothing in return but a hole in the ground to pish in? Off-field facilities are an embarrassment at too many clubs.

7 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Can’t see what the difficulty would be in teams getting their ground licensed. It’s not a major list of criteria and if teams ( at any level/grade) are a long way from it then they’ve been stealing money from the paying public by forcing them to have to put up with sub standard conditions.

The fact Coldstream and Burntisland can do it kind of throws the argument of cost out. I’ve seen for years cash being thrown at players, whilst ground improvements are ignored. 

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

With respect, why are they playing semi professional football if they will take spectator money and give nothing in return but a hole in the ground to pish in? Off-field facilities are an embarrassment at too many clubs.

That is the case at many grounds , true, so we just get rid of these clubs who have been with us for years because they have the misfortune not to have money ?

4 minutes ago, A.M said:

That is the case at many grounds , true, so we just get rid of these clubs who have been with us for years because they have the misfortune not to have money ?

It's not a case of 'getting rid', but it's a semi pro grade and clubs should be encouraged to meet some kind of minimum standard. Clubs with no money can improve facilities but there has been zero incentive for them to do so in the past. Maybe there still isn't. But I went to see Newton Stewart years back play Crichton in a public park in front of 20 or so folk. It is now fully enclosed 4G with a covered enclosure and they have an Entry level Club Licence. Ok they're SFA Members. But other clubs, within the SJFA have made improvements. I would suspect it involves being closely associated to local boys clubs etc to access funding and improving facilities for the community.

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 minutes ago, A.M said:

No, of course not, but it's something the SJFA should be looking at over the long term. If you are charging folk to watch then there should be some minimum standard on facilities at all levels, not just higher levels.

Though I do find it ironic now that some are criticising clubs who are looking to move senior for chasing the money, while others are defending junior clubs on the basis that they don't have any...

17 minutes ago, A.M said:

You honestly believe that ?  I know a few people who were at Dumbarton that night who would love Bonnyrigg to win the junior cup , and still would

As would I, but Dumbarton was better.

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's not a case of 'getting rid', but it's a semi pro grade and clubs should be encouraged to meet some kind of minimum standard. Clubs with no money can improve facilities but there has been zero incentive for them to do so in the past. Maybe there still isn't. But I went to see Newton Stewart years back play Crichton in a public park in front of 20 or so folk. It is now fully enclosed 4G with a covered enclosure and they have an Entry level Club Licence. Ok they're SFA Members. But other clubs, within the SJFA have made improvements. I would suspect it involves being closely associated to local boys clubs etc to access funding and improving facilities for the community.

I hear what you're saying but some of the villages dont even have boys clubs etc ?

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

No, of course not, but it's something the SJFA should be looking at over the long term. If you are charging folk to watch then there should be some minimum standard on facilities at all levels, not just higher levels.

Though I do find it ironic now that some are criticising clubs who are looking to move senior for chasing the money, while others are defending junior clubs on the basis that they don't have any...

What I am saying is that whilst some clubs may thrive others will die, and I think thats a shame

For the smaller clubs there won’t be much change if they joined the pyramid, most would be in regional leagues in tier 9/10 playing the same teams if they stayed Junior.

What they will get is a fighting chance to survive, if they are prepared to put in the graft they could thrive with the doors that will be opened to them already discussed all over this thread.

Whats on offer staying Junior for a small club that puts the graft into their ground and squad? 

5 minutes ago, A.M said:

Absolute nonsense !

'Smaller' junior clubs who don't want to join the pyramid, will remain with the SJFA . No one is suggesting that they will be forced into a 'senior/feeder' league. Each club will decide its own future.

2 minutes ago, BS7 said:

As would I, but Dumbarton was better.

I'm sure the fans of 66 and 78 would disagree,  I didnt see thousands of people on the streets when you beat Dumbarton.

But if you preferred it alls good 

Just now, A.M said:

What I am saying is that whilst some clubs may thrive others will die, and I think thats a shame

It is a shame, but I would suggest that many of those clubs are likely to die in the current set up also.

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

Absolute nonsense !

'Smaller' junior clubs who don't want to join the pyramid, will remain with the SJFA . No one is suggesting that they will be forced into a 'senior/feeder' league. Each club will decide its own future.

We are advocating the SJFA  join the pyramid en mass, thats what I'm talking about , and we dont need the exclamation marks , as I said in my first post , any poster showing reservation appears to get vilified .

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

It is a shame, but I would suggest that many of those clubs are likely to die in the current set up also.

maybe , but they have survived for many years until now. 

2 minutes ago, A.M said:

I'm sure the fans of 66 and 78 would disagree,  I didnt see thousands of people on the streets when you beat Dumbarton.

But if you preferred it alls good 

Fans of 66 and 78 that I know disagree but I think we’re going round in circles about the same thing. I think we can agree to differ.

dumbarton led to Bonnyrigg taking 5000 to Tynecastle with more in the away end and a fantastic day for Bonnyrigg, if not result. 

Just now, BS7 said:

Fans of 66 and 78 that I know disagree but I think we’re going round in circles about the same thing. I think we can agree to differ.

dumbarton led to Bonnyrigg taking 5000 to Tynecastle with more in the away end and a fantastic day for Bonnyrigg, if not result. 

we can :)

The talk of Scottish football nation wide for a wee bit aswell [emoji1360]

Just now, A.M said:

I hear what you're saying but some of the villages dont even have boys clubs etc ?

There's no easy to swallow answer for the smaller village clubs without resorting to cliches like 'find your level' etc... But there's a place for very club within a pyramid, and the bottom is wider than the top (usually!) so there should be greater regionalisation and less strict requirements there. I do think there needs to be some kind of barrier at some level where you cannot advance if you don't have certain things in place.