Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 hours ago, gaz5 said:

I agree you can't draw many conclusions regards one off cup games, but that is the only reference point you have at the moment (Kelty will hopefully provide a yardstick next season), but saying Linlithgow (regarded as one of the top East Juniors) have had plenty to spare in those games against LL teams cuts both ways. Talbot, I believe, have played 5 games against LL opposition and have only won through once? I saw the Cumbernauld game, and on that day Colts won with plenty to spare.

True, Lithgae's record in the big Scottish is probably the best of the Junior clubs so it's not really representative. Talbot have lost to the Colts and Edinburgh City (when they were LL) so there's no easy assumptions that can be made. I'd like to find out for real.

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I'm sure I asked that in view of you wanting a proper LL and Rose to be in it, do you want your club ever to win it given it carries the risk of SPFL if you win the play-off, something that you dont want?

Sorry, I thought that was rhetorical. I'd want Lithgae to win the league and the HL-LL play off but not the promotion play-off, same as the Buckie fans and probably Brora's before them too. L2 is boring. A LL with the best it currently has, plus the best East and West Juniors, would be a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

And don't forget the 1 Scottish Cup win more than you as well in the same last 10.

Like your committee, living in the past ;)

Sorry, I thought that was rhetorical. I'd want Lithgae to win the league and the HL-LL play off but not the promotion play-off, same as the Buckie fans and probably Brora's before them too. L2 is boring. A LL with the best it currently has, plus the best East and West Juniors, would be a lot of fun.

Fair enough, it would be a strong league thats for sure.

2 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

You've hardly been competitive in the Super League recently!

Rose have had one season out of the top 3 in over a decade. This year we're likely to finish second and are 4 points off the top with 6 games to go. One bad season caused by an utterly clueless manager (in which we still made the semis of the Junior Cup, losing 1-0 on aggregate to Talbot) hardly justifies your comment. 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

How is L2 boring?  Its a far higher standard than the LL and all Junior leagues. At the end of the day football is football and you continually seem to want be trapped in a non-league bubble without your team ever progressing.

You've got a quite frankly bizarre attitude and if you are a prime example of the Linlithgow fans then its no wonder the committee are so stuck in the past and moaning about Elgin away on Tuesday night.

The SoS is a Dumfries & Galloway league - not sure anyone on either side really wants to change that.

Mostly amatuer is it not anyway so for them tae still link straight intae the LL a few years down the line when its stronger that now would be a bit daft.

31 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

Your pal is talking about Linlithgow being world beaters just about, hence my comment. 

Nobody said anything like that. You're hard work, man. Gonna try not to just go looking for arguments? 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Rose have had one season out of the top 3 in over a decade. This year we're likely to finish second and are 4 points off the top with 6 games to go. One bad season caused by an utterly clueless manager (in which we still made the semis of the Junior Cup, losing 1-0 on aggregate to Talbot) hardly justifies your comment. 

1 league title in the previous 10 seasons.

Less top 2 finishes in the Superleague than Bonnyrigg.

Less all-time games won in the Superleague than Bonnyrigg

Less all-time goals scored in the Superleague than Bonnyrigg.

But now the Big Rose are going you can have all the tainted glory you so desperately want in a weaker league. :)

Edited by drs

5 hours ago, Jason King said:

I wouldn't take cup games as a yardstick, after all Wigan beat Man City this season but we all know who would win out in a league campaign over 38 games. I currently cant see any Junior team walking through the LL, the likes of Kelty and Bonnyrigg would certainly challenge but I cant see them winning it by a massive margin straight away.

Can I ask, who has said that they would?

4 hours ago, Jason King said:

What is unappealing about them? If you want to play with the big boys then national leagues are the way ahead, unless you have other reasons than distance for finding them unappealing.

Even now its the likes of Peterhead and Elgin who have to do the travelling every other week. Clubs like Linlithgow or Pollok would have it easy compared to them, and anyway its ruddy Scotland. Its not like we are asking clubs to go from New York to Los Angeles every 14 days.

1. Define big boys - for me, the lowest-finishing "big boy" in Scottish football this year was Raith Rovers, there were two "big boys" in L1 and none in L2. If Raith go up there will be no big boys in L1/2 next season.

2. Being in a league with the big boys holds no appeal for me. Do I want to be a Dumbarton fan, paying £28 for an adult and child? Playing the same teams 4 times a season? No.

3. I think in a country with the geography, population distribution and roads that Scotland has, regular nationwide travel below full-time level is daft. Partly for fans - but much more so for players who have jobs to go to. That's my PERSONAL OPINION. If that's what fans of Peterhead and Elgin want then best of luck to them. If I lived in Peterhead I'd follow Buchanhaven Hearts. Some people in Peterhead do that, some support Peterhead, many support Aberdeen, loads support Rangers. Each to their own, I'm not telling any of them that they're wrong.

Well, apart from the Rangers fans maybe...

I would assume the sos would remain as it is at tier 6, no need for any integration. West is an open goal to be honest, no natural tier 6 and the juniors ready to pounce.... I say go for it as it makes sense. As we have all already discussed the more difficult position is the East. The ersjfa would want to be on a par with the eos, but for me they missed the chance for this a while back and the eos and LL won't do away with the eos for the juniors to get priority. (don't forget most of the teams in the LL are former eos teams and still maintain influence and work closely with those in the eos). 

That's the difficulty here, the East, not the west. To be honest if they ran both eos leagues and the East super at the same level and had playoff style games at the end of the season I think I'd be okay with that... But that's just me :-) 

Your pal is talking about Linlithgow being world beaters just about, hence my comment. No one is on about my team, so no need to toddle on!
This will be the 5th year that your team hasn’t won the league, so surely your team’s expectations should be re-assessed to one of the better teams, no longer the best!
The great messiah returned as manager, and since your greatest new rivals, Kelty, left the Juniors, surely the league this year was a Gimme! Nope! The big rose from Midlothian will win the league. Will Bradley be hounded out now?
Now the big Rose are going, 2018-19 will be your year - or will it! Win the league and people will say it has been devalued due to the previous best two best teams leaving! Lose the league next year, and maybe your expectations will be properly realised. Then you will be pleading to join the East of Scotland League!! So toddle on too.
Don't talk rubbish. The Rose are a top side (usually) but so are Kelty, Bonnyrigg, HOB and Bo'ness. A highly competitive league the last ten years and we've been in the hunt 9/10 of them.

11 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Don't talk rubbish. The Rose are a top side (usually) but so are Kelty, Bonnyrigg, HOB and Bo'ness. A highly competitive league the last ten years and we've been in the hunt 9/10 of them.

In fairness, Rose haven't been in the hunt for four years. This year we're 4 points off the top with 6 games to go - but would we be so close to the top if Kelty were still in the league? Last season was a train wreck but the season before that we also finished 13 points behind, and the season before that the gap was 9. Of course there have been some very good cup runs in that time too.

There are some clubs, from the west asking if the east of scotland would consider managing a league using their rules which are the same as the lowland league and s.o.s.these clubs am lead to belive have most infastructure in place and could start the liceincing prosses straight away. Think they would need 12 clubs to start leading to a 16 team setup.think its being discussed at their board meeting this week.