Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Obviously not in some cases. It can't get dragged out forever but think they could provide another week long window without it getting in the way of organizing next season's fixtures and 39 is an awkward number they would probably prefer not to have.

Nothing will be extended once the AGM has taken place.

From now until then ? No idea.

You say that, but nothing I’ve seen this season suggests there’s much of a gap between east and west. It’s more a question of overall standard in the juniors, and my hunch is that it’s slipping.

No slipping on the west, And results prove the west is way stronger.
There may well be a change in the air but don't be fooled into thinking the big west junior teams will not be part of it.

Financially the juniors in the west has done superb without the added input of the East.

It'll be a loss to the juniors though.

2 minutes ago, Talbot 78 said:

No slipping on the west, And results prove the west is way stronger.
There may well be a change in the air but don't be fooled into thinking the big west junior teams will not be part of it.

Financially the juniors in the west has done superb without the added input of the East.

It'll be a loss to the juniors though.

The west is the best. That’s what the records show 

East has the Nazis though, West just has drunken bums :thumsup2

6 hours ago, Shanner said:

I'm massively in favour of an integrated solution to the current situation that takes everyone along, leaves no teams behind,  and works hard to retain the best aspects of the Juniors,  putting some much needed character, tradition and diversity into a fairly modern and sterile Pyramid non-league, certainly in the Lowland area anyway. 

I would dearly, dearly love to see the Junior Cup saved by opening it up to everyone below tier 4, but I honestly don't believe the SJFA would consider it. EK v Spartans in the final of their cup? They'd never let it happen. And so, they'll kill it instead.

4 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

None of that I disagree with but the deadline can't be extended in perpetuity. With a 2 month extension already granted, was that not long enough?

Not in the circumstances that have unfolded, no.

One of the major arguments being used among the Juniors to get them stay was that not all of those applying will be accepted. Only when the EoSFL AGM takes place will that myth be laid to rest. Some are also pinning their hopes on Linlithgow Rose staying. When both of those candles go out, so does the last reason to believe the SJFA bollocks, and a few more clubs might decide the game is up and want to come over.

So I think a short, final period for applications after the AGM, with a special meeting at the end to decide on the applications and the format, could be really valuable. It's better to try to get everything done this summer rather than have other Juniors limping in next year.

38 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Nothing will be extended once the AGM has taken place.

Are you saying this from direct knowledge or, as I suspect, are you expressing your opinion as a fact?

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Not in the circumstances that have unfolded, no.

One of the major arguments being used among the Juniors to get them stay was that not all of those applying will be accepted. Only when the EoSFL AGM takes place will that myth be laid to rest. Some are also pinning their hopes on Linlithgow Rose staying. When both of those candles go out, so does the last reason to believe the SJFA bollocks, and a few more clubs might decide the game is up and want to come over.

So I think a short, final period for applications after the AGM, with a special meeting at the end to decide on the applications and the format, could be really valuable. It's better to try to get everything done this summer rather than have other Juniors limping in next year.

The facts were out there - and unsure / hesitant clubs could have contacted the EoS directly to ask "will you accept all applications?" or contacted LR to ask "do you intend (or have you already) to apply for EoS?"

That some clubs allowed themselves to be conned / misled by what we currently term 'fake news' propagated by those with a spiteful agenda... whose fault is that? The EoS have had 3 deadlines already I think? The clubs that have stood by the withering Junior grade as each of those has sailed past them should now stand by their collective decision.

Look, it's just an opinion at the end of the day but 2nd and 3rd chances have already been granted and passed over. More fool them. If they limp in next year, it was through their own action / inaction in a process of reassessment that began a year ago when Kelty departed.

Maybe the EoS has more of a heart than me and will roll out the extended welcome mat! :lol:

Edited by cmontheloknow

15 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The facts were out there - and unsure / hesitant clubs could have contacted the EoS directly to ask "will you accept all applications?" or contacted LR to ask "do you intend (or have you already) to apply for EoS?"

That some clubs allowed themselves to be conned / misled by what we currently term 'fake news' propagated by those with a spiteful agenda... whose fault is that? The EoS have had 3 deadlines already I think? The clubs that have stood by the withering Junior grade as each of those has sailed past them should now stand by their collective decision.

Look, it's just an opinion at the end of the day but 2nd and 3rd chances have already been granted and passed over. More fool them. If they limp in next year, it was through their own action / inaction in a process of reassessment that began a year ago when Kelty departed.

Maybe the EoS has more of a heart than me and will roll out the extended welcome mat! :lol:

It doesn’t really apply to many clubs anyway. If you’re a district level club thinking of leaving now, you’re probably further from meeting licensing criteria, you’ll have West Lothian / Fife games this year rather than 6 trips to Tayside and if you move in 2019 it will be to a local league with less travelling and less likelihood of thumpings by the bigger teams. So you may as well hang on for a year. 

Equally die hards like Whitburn and Bathgate won’t move until the writing isn’t very firmly on the wall. 

So really the only clubs left who might have a reason for a late application are Fauldhouse, Glenrothes, Thornton and Kennoway. Presumably Thornton at their Pie pricing meeting at least mentioned the Pyramid in passing so you’d think they won’t change their minds either. 

42 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

2nd and 3rd chances have already been granted and passed over. More fool them. If they limp in next year, it was through their own action / inaction in a process of reassessment that began a year ago when Kelty departed.

I agree with this. Similarly, when it looked as if the HFL wouldn't have its champions in place for the play offs my reaction was "throw them out". (That scenario didn't come to pass, thankfully.) There has to be a final cut off point, otherwise these "deadlines" will mean as much as the ones in the Stormont talks.

Let the clubs in the West do what they want and stay where they are, the rest of us will get on with revolutionising non league football and looking towards the future. Occasionally the feted stench of those left behind may waft over but as with the next breath of fresh air be forgotten.

10 hours ago, Red Rose said:

It makes me happy knowing that the West juniors will all be left behind. 

Also reassuring to know that the West bias will disappear.

After the Beith stitch up there was no other option for the big rose. 

The east teams must be delighted to be escaping their annual humiliations from the west teams. Now they're big fish in a wee pond.

Edited by Khufu2

5 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

...as the fight for the west championship goes to the final match of the season.

Remind me again of how many baubles you've won? One of your old arguments against joining a pyramid was you wouldn't win as many trophies because you'd have some competition...

4 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Remind me again of how many baubles you've won? One of your old arguments against joining a pyramid was you wouldn't win as many trophies because you'd have some competition...

I haven't won any. What on earth are you havering about?

"My arguments"  I've never said any such thing.  You're off your trolley.

9 hours ago, Red Rose said:

You are a slaver pal. 

Cheers buddy :thumsup2

Am I no allowed a few sherbets on a Friday night :whistle

Said  Brett was decent, I meant the clubs were struggling no the players.  Sorry @Cowdenbeath :lol:

All about opinions though.

29 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

I haven't won any. What on earth are you havering about?

"My arguments"  I've never said any such thing.  You're off your trolley.

Ah, good to see you're not bothered, Isa.