Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

What's going on with Alonso? Not in the squad again.

Injured in training apparently.

Chelsea struggling to get anything going down that flank.

West Bromwich Albion have sacked chairman John Williams and chief executive Martin Goodman, should Pardew be worried or glad do you think???

That's the next bunch of TV rights divvied up (apart from the two small packages). It ''only'' went for £4.464bn.

I don't see the rest of the auction raising near the £700million it'll take to match the last TV rights total. Has the Premier League hype machine plateaued?

The Plateau is that if the rumours are true to see all 7 packages you will need to subscribe to SKY and BT Sport for the majority plus to at least one or two of Netflix or Facebook or Amazon for the balance.

That a lot of subscriptions when Super Sunday this week started with Huddersfield v Bournemouth.

Hardly two names to sell a game round the world.

The bubble hasn't burst but it's stopped growing as the pressure to burst is there

Sky and BT basically teamed the market so they didn't each have to pay as much and retained their share. Hence how Sky customers will be able to purchase BT Sports from Sky as of next year as opposed to their sales team directing you towards BT.

Exactly. Sky are happy as long as they have the 4pm Sunday games as that's the first pick games most weeks. BT happy with one or two packages to top up their existing Champions League and to a lesser extent Europa League games. No need for either to overbid on the packages the other won't go for and no need to bid too much on the others if you have your first picks. Can't see Netflix or Amazon going for anything this time round - the Amazon experiment has worked in the USA with NFL Redzone and Thursday night games but hasn't been proven in the UK yet. If they get the tennis stuff sorted that'll be their testing ground. And they aren't going to bid big money for the lesser packages. I suspect it will be BT and Sky again that get the last ones.

15 hours ago, The Naitch said:

That's the next bunch of TV rights divvied up (apart from the two small packages). It ''only'' went for £4.464bn.

I don't see the rest of the auction raising near the £700million it'll take to match the last TV rights total. Has the Premier League hype machine plateaued?

The remaining two packages aren't particular attractive either and weren't sold yet as no one meet the Premier Leagues reservation price.

From what I've read they are each for two sets of fixtures, one is a Bank Holiday weekend and a midweek and the other is two sets of midweek fixtures.  I guess whoever gets it can show multiple games at the same time and spread some out over the course of a few days but safe to say no one will pay anywhere close to £700million for those!

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

The remaining two packages aren't particular attractive either and weren't sold yet as no one meet the Premier Leagues reservation price.

From what I've read they are each for two sets of fixtures, one is a Bank Holiday weekend and a midweek and the other is two sets of midweek fixtures.  I guess whoever gets it can show multiple games at the same time and spread some out over the course of a few days but safe to say no one will pay anywhere close to £700million for those!

Especially for those midweek ones. Best they can hope for is 4 on a Tuesday, 4 on a Wednesday and the other 2 on a Thursday but that depends on what gets picked in the weekends before and after. Also still means there'll be plenty of clashes.

The bank holiday one is not bad as they can schedule matches from noon til night plus spread it over 2/3 nights so the clashes are minimal.

It's claimed all 10 games will be shown on midweek and Bank Holiday packages (Monday only? or Friday-Monday without Saturday afternoon?).

Presumably the Bank Holiday will be Easter Monday - which moves around - or May Day? Both could be hampered by CL/EL requirements - Easter often falls during international window.

Certainly the dregs rather than high-value.

Having started Friday nights this season and Saturday nights under the new deal, with 200 from 380 each season televised, they're prettymuch saturated what they can show stand-alone.

EDIT: Apparently packages are:

* 32x Saturday lunchtime
* 32x Saturday teatime
* 8x Saturday evening, 24x Sunday early afternoon
* 8x Sunday early afternoon, 24x Friday or Monday evenings
* 32x Sunday late afternoon

* 20x Tuesday-Thursday evenings (2 midweek rounds)
* 10x Tuesday-Thursday evenings (1 midweek round), 10x Bank Holiday

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's claimed all 10 games will be shown on midweek and Bank Holiday packages (Monday only? or Friday-Monday without Saturday afternoon?).

Presumably the Bank Holiday will be Easter Monday - which moves around - or May Day? Both could be hampered by CL/EL requirements - Easter often falls during international window.

Certainly the dregs rather than high-value.

Having started Friday nights this season and Saturday nights under the new deal, with 200 from 380 each season televised, they're prettymuch saturated what they can show stand-alone.

EDIT: Apparently packages are:

* 32x Saturday lunchtime
* 32x Saturday teatime
* 8x Saturday evening, 24x Sunday early afternoon
* 8x Sunday early afternoon, 24x Friday or Monday evenings
* 32x Sunday late afternoon

* 20x Tuesday-Thursday evenings (2 midweek rounds)
* 10x Tuesday-Thursday evenings (1 midweek round), 10x Bank Holiday

I think the Bank Holiday round in question will be the Boxing Day games.

Archived