Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All three relegated teams will be teams that sacked their manager(s) mid-season. Particularly pleased that Swansea are going down. Ever since they sacked Laudrup I haven't liked them much.

6 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

All three relegated teams will be teams that sacked their manager(s) mid-season. Particularly pleased that Swansea are going down. Ever since they sacked Laudrup I haven't liked them much.

It's almost like changing the manager makes much less difference than some people think.

4 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Everton wouldn't have gone down. Palace made a poor appointment to begin with.

Everton were in the relegation zone when Koeman was sacked. They were in big trouble and, if Koeman had stayed, they could easily have gone down.  

Following Unsworth's poor caretaker spell, Allardyce quickly sorted out the mess. Eighth is a brilliant achievement but the fickle fans with short memories want him out. 

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Apart from all the times when it makes loads of difference.

Still pining for Chapman?

Not sure when I was ever pining for Chapman? That's a bizarre example regardless given that it then took 9 matches for us to win a game and we only started to do so when we added new players.

In the main, your impact comes from changing players, not managers. Yes, a really poor manager replaced by a really good one will see an improvement eventually but most of the guys in question are all very similar.

This explains better than I can.

12 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Everton were in the relegation zone when Koeman was sacked. They were in big trouble and, if Koeman had stayed, they could easily have gone down.  

Following Unsworth's poor caretaker spell, Allardyce quickly sorted out the mess. Eighth is a brilliant achievement but the fickle fans with short memories want him out. 

Allardyce must stay. 

Not sure when I was ever pining for Chapman? That's a bizarre example regardless given that it then took 9 matches for us to win a game and we only started to do so when we added new players.

In the main, your impact comes from changing players, not managers. Yes, a really poor manager replaced by a really good one will see an improvement eventually but most of the guys in question are all very similar.

I never thought you were pining for Chapman, that was sort of the point.

The point I was making is that sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. To try to make sweeping statements based on Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle while ignoring the likes of Everton, Palace and of course Clyde is a bit pointless.

I reckon on balance it is still more common for a new manager to come in and improve things than it is for a failing manager to turn things around. None of the promoted managers were ever failing or under any pressure for their jobs as they exceeded expectations all season long.

15 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Allardyce is a much better manager than Koeman if only because he realised he couldn't keep trying to fit Rooney, Vlasic, Sigurdsson, Klassen into the same team. He's also had Baines, Coleman, Tosun and Walcott. Even then, Everton have been absolute garbage.

Not sure Hodgson can be viewed as an improvement on De Boer with any real certainty. He only had four games in charge. They lost three of Hodgson's first four. He's done well to keep them up on the back of that but there's no way of knowing whether they'd have done the same under de Boer or not. 

With Swansea down it'll be interesting to see where Fabianski ends up. He'd be an improvement for a lot of EPL sides. Maybe Crystal Palace or Leicester? 

Oooft, how often have Spurs fans mocked Arsenal for “winning” the “fourth place trophy”?

Tottenham captain Hugo Lloris said qualifying for the Champions League next season "means more than a trophy" after Spurs beat Newcastle at Wembley to confirm their top-four place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43339977

Archived