European draws

wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, G51 said:

So:

Willem II vs Rangers

Riga/Tre Fiori vs Celtic

Sporting Lisbon vs Aberdeen

Hapoel Be'er Sheva vs Motherwell

Playoff draw is tomorrow. All Scottish teams will be unseeded.

Emm.... Aberdeen will be seeded in the play-off since their draw allocation takes Sportings Seeding. Everyone else is unseeded though.

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Just confirmed, motherwell will play Hapoel Be'er Sheva away shoud they beat Coleraine tonight.

I know we are 2-0 up but i still remember Stjarnan so im not taking it for granted yet.

Also, i nearly bloody jinxed us. Thank God for Trevor Carson.

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

Emm.... Aberdeen will be seeded in the play-off since their draw allocation takes Sportings Seeding. Everyone else is unseeded though.

You're right, I had forgotten that. Aberdeen will be seeded, everyone else will be unseeded.

Just now, Locherbread said:

Hi folks,

New to this forum, but have a question that is puzzling me. All 3 ties tonight were away from home, all 4 ties in the next round are away from home 

7 ties away, is this just a rare coincidence or some other reason?

The draw was done by Maggie Thatcher's demon soul, so I doubt it's a coincidence.

1 minute ago, Locherbread said:

Hi folks,

New to this forum, but have a question that is puzzling me. All 3 ties tonight were away from home, all 4 ties in the next round are away from home 

Pure coincidence, in QR1 all 3 teams (including Celtic in the CL) were at home.

9 minutes ago, Locherbread said:

Hi folks,

Just a unique quirk of the draw this season. Instead of 2 legged ties, it is 1 legged ties, and the first team drawn is at home. Additionally, every team was put into pots of 1-6 (Some 1-8)  with thes first number draw being applied to every team with that number.

Basically the 1st Round had all Scottish teams at home, then away, then away again. We will see what the play off draw does.

Rangers and Motherwell will be grouped with some of the following teams tonight:

Shkendija / Spurs

Basel / Anorthosis

Besiktas / Rio Ave

Copenhagen / Piast Gilwice

Mura / PSV Eindhoven (Motherwell only)

Wolfsburg / Desna Chernihiv

Viktoria Plzen / Sonderskyje

APOEL Nicosia / Zrinjski Mostar

Galatasaray / Hadjuk Split

Malmo FF / Lokomotiva

Charleroi / Partizan Belgrade

Standard Liege / Vojvodina

The groups normally come out tonight

Aberdeen's potential opponents:

FCSB / Liberec

Granada / Locomotive Tbilisi

Milan / BodoGlimt

AEK / St Gallen

LASK / Dunajska Streda

Rosenborg / Alanyaspor

Apollon / Lech

Rostov / Maccabi Haifa

Reims / Fehervar

Rijeka / Kolos Kovalivka

CSKA Sofia / Torshavn

Celtic have pretty much got a 50/50 chance of drawing a seed or an unseeded team. So I'll just chuck the whole lot in here:

SEEDED Dinamo Zagreb, Young Boys, Red Star Belgrade, Qarabag, Dynamo Brest

UNSEEDED Ludogorets Razgrad, Legia Warsaw or Drita, Sheriff Tiraspol or Dundalk, Cluj or Djurgardens, Suduva or KuPS, Sarajevo or Buducnost Podgorica, Dinamo Tbilisi or Ki Celje or Ararat-Armenia Flora or Floriana Tirana

I'm really confused, now. Has the draw been done? I'm sure I have read on Reddit and here that Aberdeen are away to Sporting Lisbon, but thought that was a joke until mentioned above. Also I thought the next round was the play-off round for the group stages, i.e. if Motherwell win they qualify for the group stage...

16 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I'm really confused, now. Has the draw been done? I'm sure I have read on Reddit and here that Aberdeen are away to Sporting Lisbon, but thought that was a joke until mentioned above. Also I thought the next round was the play-off round for the group stages, i.e. if Motherwell win they qualify for the group stage...

The next round was drawn last week and the next round to be drawn is the one after that.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

The next round was drawn last week and the next round to be drawn is the one after that.

Thanks! That makes sense. Alas I can't see Motherwell or Aberdeen qualifying then, though always want all Scottish sides to do well in Europe.

Changes next season, thankfully 
3rd places guarantees Europa Conference Group stage at worst 
No it doesnt. Only the league winners are guaranteed group stage football. Runners up will enter CL qualifying, defeat will see them drop into EL Q3, defeat there will put them in Conf p/o, defeat again and they are out. 3rd place/cup winners enter EL Q3, defeat into Conf p/o defeat again, out. Theres a post in coefficient watch that I put up a few weeks back that explains this.

There is a spot in the Europa League group stage which is reserved for the Conference League champions. Since there are no Conference League champions this year, there will be two extra vacancies created in the Europa League Playoff Round, and convention would suggest that those vacancies will be filled by the cup winners from the 13th and 14th ranked countries (Denmark and Scotland).