League Predictions

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

My top tip Falkirk are doing everything to underline my impeccable credentials as a football expert :unsure:

For the record, I also identified Raith last season as probable dark horses. (True).

Next year I'm tipping Morton for success.

Please don't, I'm getting bored of this league and you'll relegate us back into it.

33 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Maybe pre season but don't see that being the case now, we've beaten Morton twice and competed well with everyone else we've played, I think we've just as much chance  as Morton anyway.  I think there are 6 teams with a chance of top 4, and Falkirk  could still get their act together and make a challenge, long way to go yet.

No doubt you boys have started well, certainly better than many expected, including myself.

Still think it would be a shock if you made the top 4 though as you are competing with teams who have been in this league for a few years and will have  better budgets than Livvy.

If you were to make the top 4, it would be a fantastic achievement and Hopkin would probably get Manager of the Year the way Duffy did last season!

We've been better than I expected. Joe Cardle (who has scored more league goals than Dundee United) hobbled off early on Saturday yet we still cruised to victory, adding another two goals. We've picked up very few injuries since AJ took over (and immediately appointed a fitness coach) so can hopefully maintain that steady team selection. Would still be delighted to finish 4th though.

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

We've been better than I expected. Joe Cardle (who has scored more league goals than Dundee United) hobbled off early on Saturday 

What actually happened there? Did our player catch him? I thought they just looked shoulder to shoulder so was surprised he had to go off.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What actually happened there? Did our player catch him? I thought they just looked shoulder to shoulder so was surprised he had to go off.

I couldn't tell. Just presumed Joe was diving but I think it's a hamstring.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Maybe pre season but don't see that being the case now, we've beaten Morton twice and competed well with everyone else we've played, I think we've just as much chance  as Morton anyway.  I think there are 6 teams with a chance of top 4, and Falkirk  could still get their act together and make a challenge, long way to go yet.

Livi are a good team with no stand out stars but a solid team ethic and well drilled.   If you are a Morton fan you would say they are the best Championship team we have played.  They tend to sit in and play on the break - their weakness might be when they come up against a team playing the same way.  Also, with the smallest full time budget, their squad may be a bit thin and injuries suspensions might impact more than on some other teams.   If they are not in the top 4, they will certainly have a say in who is.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:55, Tonsilitis said:

Livi are a good team with no stand out stars but a solid team ethic and well drilled.   If you are a Morton fan you would say they are the best Championship team we have played.  They tend to sit in and play on the break - their weakness might be when they come up against a team playing the same way.  Also, with the smallest full time budget, their squad may be a bit thin and injuries suspensions might impact more than on some other teams.   If they are not in the top 4, they will certainly have a say in who is.

Weirdly enough our team is a deep as it's ever been the last few years. We've got a solid bench of players who could all be starting and our 'weaker' rotated side were harsh to lose to Hibs tonight. We've played like Cadden, De Vita, Robinson, Carrick and Brown all fighting for a spot. Not to mention a strong crop of youngsters vying for a spot.

Everyone plays to the same philosophy and for each other, for the first team in a good few years there's some togetherness and its funny. We've stuck with Hopkin longer than anyone else for a good time and suddenly we have a bit of stability with new ownership too. It's just a feel good factor for now, but through Hughes, Burchill etc.. Hopkin is one of the only managers to start winning over the fans.

I'm not saying we'll be challenging playoffs yet as survival is the goal without a doubt with the smallest FT budget but cups runs all add up, if we got to the playoffs I'd fancy us to shock a few teams as we've done so this season so far. Like you said, we've no stand out stars but a team that are well drilled - we're missing a real goalscorer, someone may come along in January and maybe not. I feel as though how we cope from December-February will shape up our season, it could all fall apart as it tends to with us around then and lose some players in January for a pittance but that's what many teams on a good run fear. I reckon (silently) that if we keep the team together and sign a goalscorer up in January we'd be up with a shout of playoffs but for now we're just missing that danger in the final third

7 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Weirdly enough our team is a deep as it's ever been the last few years. We've got a solid bench of players who could all be starting and our 'weaker' rotated side were harsh to lose to Hibs tonight. We've played like Cadden, De Vita, Robinson, Carrick and Brown all fighting for a spot. Not to mention a strong crop of youngsters vying for a spot.

Everyone plays to the same philosophy and for each other, for the first team in a good few years there's some togetherness and its funny. We've stuck with Hopkin longer than anyone else for a good time and suddenly we have a bit of stability with new ownership too. It's just a feel good factor for now, but through Hughes, Burchill etc.. Hopkin is one of the only managers to start winning over the fans.

I'm not saying we'll be challenging playoffs yet as survival is the goal without a doubt with the smallest FT budget but cups runs all add up, if we got to the playoffs I'd fancy us to shock a few teams as we've done so this season so far. Like you said, we've no stand out stars but a team that are well drilled - we're missing a real goalscorer, someone may come along in January and maybe not. I feel as though how we cope from December-February will shape up our season, it could all fall apart as it tends to with us around then and lose some players in January for a pittance but that's what many teams on a good run fear. I reckon (silently) that if we keep the team together and sign a goalscorer up in January we'd be up with a shout of playoffs but for now we're just missing that danger in the final third

There is no pressure for you to make the promotion playoff's this season and that can work in your favour. 

If you keep playing like you are at the moment and avoid too many injuries and suspensions then I don't see Livi anywhere near the bottom two at the end of the season.

On 18/09/2017 at 16:55, Tonsilitis said:

I would say our squad is probably the thinnest.  We couldn't even fill our bench on Saturday with only 6 players and that included 3 youth players!

We only  have 17 players to choose from right now and that includes our emergency backup Darren Barr and Lee Kilday who has been injured for months.  Hopefully Murdoch being out on Sat was short term!

Still amazed we never brought more in during the window and it will prob come back to bite us.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I beg to differ.

Gary-Harkins-2017-18_300x450_acf_cropped

I thought Harkins would be a fat mess when we signed him but he doesn't appear to have an ounce of fat on him. After a tricky start playing in a role that didn't suit him, he's done quite well in the past 2 weeks playing further forward. 

On 18/09/2017 at 16:55, Tonsilitis said:

Yet we beat them with only 10 players on the pitch for an hour or so. Morton have beaten Queens, Pars and ourselves. We have beaten United, ICT, Falkirk and scored a few goals in the process. This league is bonkers. 

Dunfermline impressed me on Saturday, we didn't do ourselves justice but a part of that was down to them. Worthy of being top just now.

Morton, Pars, Saints all have good home form, what normally decides it is who can scrape the narrow victories away from home over the winter months.

I heavily tipped Falkirk at the start of the season, they have been the most consistent team the last few years, gave some of the 'super' clubs some bloody noses but as soon as they were promoted and pissed off, Falkirk have turned ordinary when the league is here for the taking for the first time in a few years,

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yet we beat them with only 10 players on the pitch for an hour or so. Morton have beaten Queens, Pars and ourselves. We have beaten United, ICT, Falkirk and scored a few goals in the process. This league is bonkers. 

Dunfermline impressed me on Saturday, we didn't do ourselves justice but a part of that was down to them. Worthy of being top just now.

Morton, Pars, Saints all have good home form, what normally decides it is who can scrape the narrow victories away from home over the winter months.

I heavily tipped Falkirk at the start of the season, they have been the most consistent team the last few years, gave some of the 'super' clubs some bloody noses but as soon as they were promoted and pissed off, Falkirk have turned ordinary when the league is here for the taking for the first time in a few years,

I've heard a few people say the league is there for the taking, but im not sure it is. There are a lot of decent teams in this league and stringing 5 or 6 wins together will be really tough even for the better teams, ( Think the most amount of wins in a row is 3 so far)

DU are arguably the best team in the league on paper and appeared to recruit really well yet they seem to be struggling.

Even if a Falkirk, Pars, Morton, St Mirren really pushed the boat out to try and win this league this year, I'm not sure that would automatically give them them the title as there are just too many decent teams in this league who can beat anyone on their day. 

It's going to be really competitive league and I can't see anyone running away with it. Could be the tightest finish in a few years similar the Hamilton/Dundee/Falkirk battle in 2014, just hope we are involved!

10 minutes ago, madton said:

I've heard a few people say the league is there for the taking, but im not sure it is. There are a lot of decent teams in this league and stringing 5 or 6 wins together will be really tough even for the better teams, ( Think the most amount of wins in a row is 3 so far)

DU are arguably the best team in the league on paper and appeared to recruit really well yet they seem to be struggling.

Even if a Falkirk, Pars, Morton, St Mirren really pushed the boat out to try and win this league this year, I'm not sure that would automatically give them them the title as there are just too many decent teams in this league who can beat anyone on their day. 

It's going to be really competitive league and I can't see anyone running away with it. Could be the tightest finish in a few years similar the Hamilton/Dundee/Falkirk battle in 2014, just hope we are involved!

Surely the fact that nobody looks set to run away with it means that the league is there for the taking? If I were a supporter of any of the top teams pushing for the play-offs I'd be looking at this season as a massive opportunity to go up, everyone is beatable.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

You found our weakness that day, sit in and let us try and break you down, then hit us on the break and score from set pieces. Plus neither of us have won at home for a very long time in our fixtures, we won at your ground, you won at ours, 1 each so far. Will prob be a draw in the next game.

Archived