C**** on a Train

c***s who run the trains for this...

At the May Bank Holiday weekend I'll be travelling down to Wigan (for the Laurel and Hardy convention, want to make something of it?) I travel with a mate who gets around on crutches so needs assistance in getting between platforms and the like, so we book rail tickets in advance so the station guys know where we need to get to. I booked two seats Edinburgh - Wigan on Thursday 2 May - cost £24 each. Fine.

Then I tried booking seats for coming back on Monday 6 May - and because it's a Bank Holiday the b*****ds want £69 from each of us. And that includes a bus replacement service from Carlisle. However, if we break our journey at Preston, the cost is just £22.60 each. Still have to get a bus from Carlisle, but I suppose they have to do track maintenance sometime. But how can they justify such a difference in prices?

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

At the May Bank Holiday weekend I'll be travelling down to Wigan (for the Laurel and Hardy convention, want to make something of it?) I travel with a mate who gets around on crutches so needs assistance in getting between platforms and the like, so we book rail tickets in advance so the station guys know where we need to get to. I booked two seats Edinburgh - Wigan on Thursday 2 May - cost £24 each. Fine.

Then I tried booking seats for coming back on Monday 6 May - and because it's a Bank Holiday the b*****ds want £69 from each of us. And that includes a bus replacement service from Carlisle. However, if we break our journey at Preston, the cost is just £22.60 each. Still have to get a bus from Carlisle, but I suppose they have to do track maintenance sometime. But how can they justify such a difference in prices?

That's another fine mess you've got yourself into...

There's a Laurel and Hardy convention?? Is this an annual thing? Tell me more!

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Yes, it's an annual thing - more than that, they have one every year! It's in a different place each time - last year was Norwich, this time Wigan.  Attendance is usually about 120 - 150 depending on the size of the hotel.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, GordonD said:

We'll if you caught a caught a fish  and whoever you sold it to wouldn't have to pay for it. Then the profits would go to the fish.

46 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yes, it's an annual thing - more than that, they have one every year! It's in a different place each time - last year was Norwich, this time Wigan.  Attendance is usually about 120 - 150 depending on the size of the hotel.

Is there a bowl for the room keys lottery? And do you dress up for it?

8 minutes ago, GordonD said:

There is a fancy dress competition but it's not compulsory. But we do wear fezzes.

Can I come? Do you get films and people talking about working on them? Suppose they're all dead by now. :(

Edited by welshbairn