The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 minute ago, nsr said:

The rest of Scottish football isn't to blame for the mindset that exists in the supports of these two clubs. The two clubs do everything they can get away with to keep it going, knowing that doing so brings in money that otherwise would go elsewhere.

Had Rangers been treated like Third Lanark, Airdrie or Gretna, there wouldn't have been two teams in place to perpetuate that mindset. In giving the new Rangers preferential treatment and letting them straight in, no questions asked, it meant it was inevitable that the old situation would at some point reoccur.

2 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Imagine if Lennon fucks this up and they cannae point the finger at an Orange/ Masonic/SFA/ referee conspiracy for the loss of of 10 in a row . What the hell will they do? It'll be a re run of the denial Rangers fans had that it was actually Rangers men that killed their club. 

Rodgers will have to pay his postman danger money.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Had Rangers been treated like Third Lanark, Airdrie or Gretna, there wouldn't have been two teams in place to perpetuate that mindset. In giving the new Rangers preferential treatment and letting them straight in, no questions asked, it meant it was inevitable that the old situation would at some point reoccur.

3 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

He's not actually wrong tbh. We all had the chance to get rid of the zombie club for good and fucked it. Celtic were only as culpable as the rest of us on that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the other SPFL clubs weren't the ones who got to decide whether Sevco got the empty spot in Div 3/Lg 2, were they?

1 minute ago, nsr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the other SPFL clubs weren't the ones who got to decide whether Sevco got the empty spot in Div 3/Lg 2, were they?

If the will had been there, we know that could have been blocked. I don't particularly blame the folk running the clubs in the lower leagues for taking the easy option, the money to be made from a few games against them was fairly significant.

1 minute ago, nsr said:

That's what I was thinking.  Did the clubs not just vote on whether they could start in the then 1st Division?  And they were told could they fuck

I'm fairly certain the then SFL agreed to let Rangers start in the 3rd.

Kicking out Sevco wouldn't necessarily have solved the problem anyway. That mindset of hate and oneupmanship wouldn't have just disappeared if there wasn't a club playing in blue at Ibrox. It's a deeper societal issue that's been going on for at least two centuries, one that the authorities know full well would spill out into violence in the public arena if these two clubs weren't present to provide a safety valve for it to be expressed in a policed environment. Celtic and Sevco didn't create the problems in the first place but they sure as hell are happy to perpetuate them for financial benefit.

18 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I think it's more to do with posters thinking they smell bs

I generally take people as individuals with their own views on particular subjects but it doesn't take me long to be proved wrong.

So I take it this is your own opinion on 10 in a row?

If so I can't see much wrong with that, maybe its difficult for people to get their head around the idea that football fans of the different clubs don't all think alike.

It is, and many Celtic fans I know.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

With Rangers out of the Leagues the main reason to allow them to re boot in the 4th tier was always going to be financial. Rangers were never going to be allowed to join Gretna and Third Lanark in the great football league in the sky.

There is still a club called Gretna playing in the same ground as the old Gretna, in the same colours. If they had the support base of Rangers, they'd be in the Premier League too.

There is still a club called Airdrie playing in the same ground as the old Airdrie, in the same colours. If they had the support base of Rangers, they'd be in the Premier League too.

Nobody had the money and inclination to establish a Third Lanark phoenix at the time.

There was always going to be a club called Rangers playing at Ibrox and wearing blue, and whatever level they rejoined football, they were always going to get back to the top end. They weren't done any favours, they weren't done any malice. 

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They weren't done any favours, they weren't done any malice. 

Why aren't Gretna playing in the Scottish League system(One of the top 4 leagues, as the original incarnation was, obviously)?

Why did Airdrie have to buy another club and change the name?

Why did Rangers end up straight in the bottom league with no open application process?

Of course it all boils down to money, I said as much in one of my previous posts. They were given preferable treatment compared to the other two because of that. Let's not deny reality there.

Edited by Ross.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Why aren't Gretna playing in the Scottish League system(One of the top 4 leagues, as the original incarnation was, obviously)?

Why did Rangers end up straight in the bottom league with no open application process?

Of course it all boils down to money, I said as much in one of my previous posts. They were given preferable treatment compared to the other two because of that. Let's not deny reality there.

Gretna arguably got a better deal than Rangers. Initially they were relegated to the third division, same as happened to Livi in similar circumstances, but when the last potential buyer walked away they folded. It was only when it was clear that they wouldn't be able to fulfil fixtures at the start of the season that they were expelled. 

When Gretna folded nobody was in a position that summer to set something up that was strong enough to apply for membership of the SFL. Annan Athletic got the place, winning a vote against Spartans, Edinburgh City, Preston Athletic and Cove Rangers. There was nothing to prevent the phoenix Gretna club applying at that time and if they'd had a strong enough bid, they'd have been elected. 

IIRC in 2002 Airdrie United went up against Gretna, Huntly Preston, Gala, Cove & Edinburgh City, with Gretna winning the vote. I can't remember why Airdrie didn't win. 

Rangers were treated (in the end, after arseholery from Doncaster and the like) the same as Gretna - dropped to the bottom division, but unlike Gretna it was clear they could continue.

But your cynical premise that it's all about el dinaro... really? If that were the case they'd have elected Airdrie United in 2002, and not Gretna. And more to the point, they'd have plonked Rangers into the SPL or Division One. 

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

But your cynical premise that it's all about el dinaro... really? If that were the case they'd have elected Airdrie United in 2002, and not Gretna. And more to the point, they'd have plonked Rangers into the SPL or Division One. 

There was a lot more to the Airdrie Utd thing than just what went on in public, but that would be a whole other thread and you are fucked if I want to go through it all again.

They tried to plonk them into one of the top divisions and had to settle for the bottom. I suspect that was always what they expected but went along with the premise of something higher in order to make it look as though there was an element of punishment/supporters of other clubs being listened to in the decision to grant them the last league place.

IIRC with Gretna, they were still in admin when they were provisionally punted to the third, and subsequently removed completely when admin became full on liquidation?

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Do you know if there would have been any applicants and if so do you think it would have been worth spending money on facilities and better players etc gambling that their application would be successful over a club which has a ready 50,000 + capacity stadium, a support equal in size to Celtic which means a money generator etc etc?

Why waste time and money going up against that?

Indeed had there been any open application you would have been hard pushed to find any club that would go up against a Rangers in a vote like that also consider the time scale involved getting a club ready for the next season. Though I can think of one club that might have done it for shits, giggles and the publicity spending zilch.

Crispy application forms anyone?

Grim.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. I just think it is lazy for folk to complain about the fact that things are almost back to what they were, when there was a huge opportunity to change the game completely and it wasn't taken.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Gretna didn't apply.

Airdrie applied and were rejected - partly because it was unclear how viable they would be, and partly because clubs didn't want to set a precedent in terms of reneging on debts.

An application process in Rangers' case would have been a complete waste of everyone's time and energy, given that they would obviously have won it. This could likely have delayed the start of the season. There was a de facto election process held, since 29 clubs out of 30 in the SFL voted in favour of them joining Division 3.

As was pointed out earlier, there was always going to be a club set up out of Ibrox that summer, whether they were elected into the SFL or not. The idea that simply not electing them would have caused the directors and supporters to just give up on the club and go and support someone else or do something else on their Saturday afternoons is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

At the moment they have the same power and influence and any other club in the top flight, 

I disagree with this. In terms of official rights i.e voting then maybe but they have more power than others in terms of being able to sway opinion. They are able to influence others to bring about outcomes they want because of 1) who they are, because those who run the game, manage the game and broadcast about the game, are often fans themselves and have a vested interest in making sure they are ok. or 2) Authorities who are reluctant to rule against them because of the outrage and grief that it will cause them.

This isn't exclusively Rangers, it occurs with Celtic as well.  The sheer volume of support, especially where it matters, has effectively meant that the clubs almost are bigger than the league itself.

Celtic's response to the Brendan Rodgers song seems a bit weak

"We have no knowledge of who these individuals are or any connection they have to Celtic," the club said.

"But one thing is certain: such disgusting and pathetic behaviour would never have any place at our club and, of course, we condemn this completely."

"Codemn this completely" but no intent to find the individuals responsible and ban them from Celtic Park.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

"Codemn this completely" but no intent to find the individuals responsible and ban them from Celtic Park.

Peter can’t afford to upset the loony fringe after not backing Rodgers with money for transfers. Like the cousins across the Clyde strong condemnation is all they’re able to muster 

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Ooh, condemning. 

unnamed (9).gif

The match against Hibernian tomorrow will be another tough test, but Lennon will know their squad inside out. I'm expecting an exciting contest.

I'd start with Bain, Toljan, Ajer, Boyata, Tierney, Brown, Bitton, McGregor, Sinclair, Edouard, Forrest.