The Celtic All Seasons thread

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

At least his whole day didn’t revolve around drink with the regular breaks for betting and walking the dog.

He could quite easily live alone and going to the pub is the bare bone social interaction he gets. Many cafes and restaurants don't allow dogs in. 

Would you rather he sat - alone - in his own home with his dog and had a drink and a gamble there? 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He could quite easily live alone and going to the pub is the bare bone social interaction he gets. Many cafes and restaurants don't allow dogs in. 

Would you rather he sat - alone - in his own home with his dog and had a drink and a gamble there? 

I don’t really give a shit tbh mate. If the old boys happy then I suppose that’s what’s important.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

A lot of people have a don't drink by yourself in the house rule ( a rule I should really bring in at casa del gannonballs) so would rather have a few elsewhere. More expensive than drinking in your house but probably better all round for it.

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not rocket science is it?

I think you were the one that pointed out that perhaps his friends shouldn't be putting him in that situation. Spot on.

If one of my mates had a history of alcohol abuse then I'd be having a word with him if he's desperate to cross the border to get a pint because the pubs in Scotland are closed.

He’s spoken openly about mental health issues. I’ve never heard of him talking about having a history of alcohol abuse, where are you getting this from?

Just now, gannonball said:

A lot of people have a don't drink by yourself in the house rule ( a rule I should really bring in at casa del gannonballs) so would rather have a few elsewhere. More expensive than drinking in your house but probably better all round for it.

I'm exactly the same. If I have a drink in the house on my own that's a massive red flag for me personally and I have to take a few days away from things to sort my shit out. I just think it's a bit bang out of order for folk to be saying boys who go to the pub on their own have serious issues but in the same breath post up numerous pictures of what they're sitting getting pished in the house off of. 

14 hours ago, bennett said:

NEIL LENNON is at the centre of a police probe over claims he was involved in an alleged cross-border Covid-breach. 

Cops are investigating after a video clip emerged online that appeared to show the former Celtic boss at a hotel in England -  a day after outdoor boozers opened down south.

Lennon, 49,  who lives in Glasgow, was filmed with pal Duncan Smillie, 50, owner of Glasgow Rocks basketball team and a board member of Partick Thistle. 

The mobile phone footage is understood to have been filmed at the Halston Hotel in Carlisle, Cumbria, on Tuesday night. 

A spokesman for Cumbria Police said: “The matter is being investigated to ascertain whether any breach of Coronavirus regulations has taken place

“It would be inappropriate to comment further whilst this investigation takes place.”

Bars and restaurants remain closed under Scotland’s tougher virus curbs but on Monday rules were eased south of the border.

Current restrictions in Scotland also mean people are prohibited from travelling outside their local authority area unless for essential purposes

This is the same eejit that thought it was ok to f**k off to Dubai in the middle of a lockdown, obviously he’d think nothing of going to england for a piss up. 

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

He’s spoken openly about mental health issues. I’ve never heard of him talking about having a history of alcohol abuse, where are you getting this from?

He's jokes about it in the past but there's plenty evidence online of him getting in to an absolute state when under the influence.

Was it not a fairly open secret that during his first stint as manager a lot of his team selection revolved around the social circle?

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He's jokes about it in the past but there's plenty evidence online of him getting in to an absolute state when under the influence.

Was it not a fairly open secret that during his first stint as manager a lot of his team selection revolved around the social circle?

Plenty people get into a state when under the influence, it’s just not publicised when they’re not famous.  I’m not saying he does or doesn’t have a drink problem, just curious if he had admitted to it. 

No idea on your last point. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Plenty people get into a state when under the influence, it’s just not publicised when they’re not famous.  I’m not saying he does or doesn’t have a drink problem, just curious if he had admitted to it. 

No idea on your last point. 

Absolutely agree with the first point. If it happens fairly regularly though then there's a problem.

Unfortunately there's a massive societal problem with alcohol in the country. There's probably very few on here who could say they didn't suffer some form of peer pressure in regards to under age drinking as a teenager.

33 minutes ago, AJF said:

100% agree with your first sentence.

Second point, I'm not sure that's the point he was making at all. If it is, I'm not sure how anyone here can be viewed to be laughing at Lennon based on what's been said as 'aw he's just had a day out' is not what's being said.

That’s the perception I had but happy to be proved wrong. In any case in an ideal world we wouldn’t even be speaking about it. 

The guy was rightly mocked for his teams performance throughout the season and some of his own antics from a football perspective, but he’s been sacked and a silver lining of that should be taking time out the public eye to recuperate and recover. 

I felt distinctly uncomfortable watching the video of him and whether it’s a sign of a wider problem or not I just hoped he has a good circle around him to look after him. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Some amount of mental gymnastics goes on when you're an Old Firm fan.

We have the same group of fans condemning everyone who doesn't agree with their exact view of the Kamara events in one thread whilst mocking or downplaying a mans mental health problems in this thread.

Must be exhausting.

Ooft it's a well crafted post brilliantly framed for the perfect response and back slaps from the usual characters.

Devoid in any truth perhaps but congratulations none the less. You got a reaction, we've got to give you that. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s the perception I had but happy to be proved wrong. In any case in an ideal world we wouldn’t even be speaking about it. 

The guy was rightly mocked for his teams performance throughout the season and some of his own antics from a football perspective, but he’s been sacked and a silver lining of that should be taking time out the public eye to recuperate and recover. 

I felt distinctly uncomfortable watching the video of him and whether it’s a sign of a wider problem or not I just hoped he has a good circle around him to look after him. 

I can't really prove wrong your perception, I can only say how I feel about it.

In terms of the video, I agree it was uncomfortable, which is kind of what my point is around. While it's uncomfortable viewing, nobody can definitively say it's part of a wider problem, but I think we can all agree that it's poor patter filming someone who has had a few too many and posting it all over social media for clout and likes.

My stance has been that if this was a random person then nobody would be batting an eye lid and citing mental health issues, but because it's Neil Lennon it's assumed he is suffering mentally. He could be for all I know, and if he is he should get some help. I'm just saying that being drunk isn't proof of that and his actions have been viewed as some kind of cry for help when he may not need it, especially when you consider this is pretty common scenes you will see on any day/night out from folk that have had a good bevvy.

I also have no idea how this view can be related to anti-racist sentiments about the Kamara incident, but here we are (I appreciate it was not you who linked the 2 issues).

Edited by AJF

25 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Ooft it's a well crafted post brilliantly framed for the perfect response and back slaps from the usual characters.

Devoid in any truth perhaps but congratulations none the less. You got a reaction, we've got to give you that. 

Staunch.

Earlier this week, Emmy-award-winning filmmaker Jamie Doran was on a precarious journey into the mountains just outside the western city of Herat, Afghanistan, to meet the Taliban’s strongest military leader who controls most of Helmand, Kandahar and seven other provinces, Mullah Neazy.

Despite the seriousness of the occasion, his ‘guards’ wanted to speak about a matter of great importance to them: who did he think the next manager of Celtic is going to be. Doran and his cameraman from Madrid were flabbergasted. But it turns out that there is a major contingent of Celtic fans in the city which borders with Iran – one of the few things that unites the two warring sides.

“It was a pretty bizarre situation," said Jamie. "They seemed just like ordinary blokes in many ways, wanting to know which team I supported. They’d obviously spotted the Celtic top underneath my tunic and, when I confirmed this to them, they couldn’t stop talking about Odsonne Edouard, Scott Brown (“he is a very strong and courageous leader”) and a couple of other players. But the biggest topic was the new manager. 

“They’d heard of Eddie Howe, but wondered why we weren’t going for someone more famous. I wasn’t about to disagree with them.” Jamie Doran's 'The Fans Who Make Football' series featured an episode about The Bhoys (below) with a strong focus on the Grand Old Team's Belfast supporters.

Doran’s journey with reporter Najibullah Quraishi and cameraman Miguel Landa Atero took him on a gruelling hill climb, passing twelve Taliban checkpoints before reaching their mountain base. The interview with famed Taliban veteran Neazy will be part of a documentary expected to broadcast end of May/early June.

“From what I could gather, their fascination with the club stems from the enormous support Celtic fans have given to the Palestinian cause over the years. This is close to the heart of all Muslims and the backing from the Celtic diaspora has obviously struck a chord. 

On 15/04/2021 at 10:32, G51 said:

Alcoholism is a fairly normal part of Scottish society, unfortunately. It's not uncommon - something like 40% of all adults in the Highlands exceed the weekly recommended limit, and about 10% are "problem drinkers", a significant number of which will be alcoholics.

I get that some people are sheltered from this because they don't see it or don't have family or friends who are alcoholics, but it's common.

Going back to Lennon, this could be indicative of a depressive episode. But it also might not be. Either way, I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate that it is, and if it is then the guy just needs a bit of space and time while the folk around him help sort him out. He doesn't need people chattering and gossiping about it, and he certainly doesn't need people filming him in that nick.

While you are right that alcoholism in Scotland is common i don’t think it’s right to normalise it, it’s an addiction which has life changing consequences. 

I lost my mum to alcoholism in 09’ after my parents split and her behaviour, her attempts to hide what she was doing and the danger she put herself and others in at times through drink driving etc was far from normal and while we are talking about Lennon and how he doesn’t need the chattering and gossip I have to say I’m not so sure. My view may be very skewed on this particular subject however if my attention was drawn to what was my mum was doing instead of people trying to keep it quiet and normalise her behaviour I may have been able to intervene before it done irreparable damage. 

I’m not sure his circle of friends do much to help him either mind you. 

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

While you are right that alcoholism in Scotland is common i don’t think it’s right to normalise it, it’s an addiction which has life changing consequences. 

I lost my mum to alcoholism in 09’ after my parents split and her behaviour, her attempts to hide what she was doing and the danger she put herself and others in at times through drink driving etc was far from normal and while we are talking about Lennon and how he doesn’t need the chattering and gossip I have to say I’m not so sure. My view may be very skewed on this particular subject however if my attention was drawn to what was my mum was doing instead of people trying to keep it quiet and normalise her behaviour I may have been able to intervene before it done irreparable damage. 

I’m not sure his circle of friends do much to help him either mind you. 

Agreed. This ain’t the AA thread but having been through something similar with my own parents hopefully somebody in his circle will intervene.

I believe The Priory is c£4K/week but when he’s  been earning £30K/week and is now unemployed I reckon it’s a small investment in his own future. 

If you won’t back yourself you’ll never win. 

On 15/04/2021 at 22:36, bennett said:

Earlier this week, Emmy-award-winning filmmaker Jamie Doran was on a precarious journey into the mountains just outside the western city of Herat, Afghanistan, to meet the Taliban’s strongest military leader who controls most of Helmand, Kandahar and seven other provinces, Mullah Neazy.

Despite the seriousness of the occasion, his ‘guards’ wanted to speak about a matter of great importance to them: who did he think the next manager of Celtic is going to be. Doran and his cameraman from Madrid were flabbergasted. But it turns out that there is a major contingent of Celtic fans in the city which borders with Iran – one of the few things that unites the two warring sides.

“It was a pretty bizarre situation," said Jamie. "They seemed just like ordinary blokes in many ways, wanting to know which team I supported. They’d obviously spotted the Celtic top underneath my tunic and, when I confirmed this to them, they couldn’t stop talking about Odsonne Edouard, Scott Brown (“he is a very strong and courageous leader”) and a couple of other players. But the biggest topic was the new manager. 

“They’d heard of Eddie Howe, but wondered why we weren’t going for someone more famous. I wasn’t about to disagree with them.” Jamie Doran's 'The Fans Who Make Football' series featured an episode about The Bhoys (below) with a strong focus on the Grand Old Team's Belfast supporters.

Doran’s journey with reporter Najibullah Quraishi and cameraman Miguel Landa Atero took him on a gruelling hill climb, passing twelve Taliban checkpoints before reaching their mountain base. The interview with famed Taliban veteran Neazy will be part of a documentary expected to broadcast end of May/early June.

“From what I could gather, their fascination with the club stems from the enormous support Celtic fans have given to the Palestinian cause over the years. This is close to the heart of all Muslims and the backing from the Celtic diaspora has obviously struck a chord. 

Reminds me of this utter fantasist. Gets funnier every time I watch it.